1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General My first impressions

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aldredd, Jul 10, 2011.

1. aldredd

aldredd Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Senior Systems Analyst
    Milton Keynes, England
    OK, so I've now owned the Desire S for a grand total of about 24 hours.

Not really long enough to claim I 'know' the phone, but based on over a year using the Desire mk1, I certainly feel like I have something to compare it to!

Buttons:
    I'm coming around to using the touch buttons. Still miss the physical buttons of the desire, but my biggest gripe with them it that I acidentaly press them a lot when trying to press something at the bottom of the screen - and I wouldn't say I had 'fat' fingers at all!
    I'm also coming to terms with the 'loss' of the scroll button thing. Can see why they got rid of it - doesn't have many uses - but I used it for editing text where i'd made spelling typos etc - and for navigating some websites, which weren't smart-phone friendly - made it easier to navigate to specific links etc.

Battery:
    Wow. Seems far superior to anything I recall getting on the desire. It's taken me a lot of heavy usage since yesterday afternoon - downloading huge amounts of wifi data, streaming bbc programs, playing graphics heavy games (such as Need for speed) to finally kill the battery - very impressed. Looking forward to seeing how long it lasts on typical usage!

Memory:
    One of my biggest gripes with the desire was the poor memory. Even with every available app on SD, you still had to work on a 'One in One Out' basis - this was the main reason I ended up rooting. However, on here, not such as issue! After setting my phone up, I started going through the process of moving apps to SD, out of habit, before realising this wasn't necessary, and moved them all back again to the phone. I'm guessing there are also performance benefits to having things on the phone rather than SD?

Software:
    Difficult to know where to start with some of the sense features. I like the redesigned notification bar with recent apps list & quick access to system toggles. For the sense Drive Mode, I kinda with they let you pick between defaulting to its own navigation software and google's. Whilst the addition of built in maps in a great thing, I never had much of a problem with google's implementation, and really quite like it - and now that google maps allows offline map caching, it begins to make sense maps slightly redundant - although I did see that you can enable (buy?) speed camera locations - which of course you can't on google

They also seem to have addressed some of the sense bugs / blatantly missing features from previous versions - though can't for the life of me think what they were!

Only issue I'm having is youtube not working - it seems to think it's installed, but can't open / install / reinstall / uninstall it - very annoying.

Overall, I'm very impressed, and looking forward to seeing what it can do!

Advertisement

Tags: