1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support My First Smartphone - backup question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Colombine, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Colombine

Colombine Lurker
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    Having extensive experience with all sorts of OS's, I am new to smartphones and Android. After a week or so, I have the HTC Desire working almost the way I want it. Perhaps I will find answers to the few questions I still have in this forum. And if I can help anyone later - so much the better.

My first question is about backup. In the manual it says you can make a backup of the system to the SD card by choosing Privacy in Settings. But there is no such item on my phone. HTC confirmed that this function is dropped. I would like to make regular backups before installing new apps. There are several backup apps out there, but can anyone recommend one? I do not want to root the phone.

I want to add that this it not about backing up data like Contacts, Mail and Agenda. Google does that beautifully.

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Welcome to the Android Forums!

If your phone is rooted and you're willing to invest a few dollars on an app, check out Titanium Backup...

3. Colombine

Colombine Lurker
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    Thank you, Martimus. For me, rooting is not an option until I know a bit more about the Android OS. My question was in the wrong place, sorry for that. After I have browsed this forum for a bit perhaps I will find the technical information I need.

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    The challenge you may run into is that backup apps that don't have root access may not be able to see the contents of the system partition. Your backup will, therefore only contain data and apps from the data partition.

If all you are wanting is a backup of apps you can do this using an app like Appbrain. In sync mode, the Appbrain app will document all currently installed apps on the phone so they can be restored in the event of a phone issue.

Colombine likes this.
  5. Colombine

Colombine Lurker
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    I am beginning to understand the limitations of a non-rooted phone. Funny - I could backup my HP iPaq PDA "out of the box" and have my system back after a hard reset in a few minutes. Should have thought Android would do something like that. For the moment I will settle for an incomplete backup with one of the available apps. Perhaps when my glossy new phone has a few scratches I'll try root... Have a nice day!

6. spile

spile Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2010
    The backup option is hidden!

Menu > settings > search > searchable items > scroll down to the Settings
    Select tick button and then exit out of settings.

Select search button on the home screen and type privacy the Privacy tab option will appear and show auto back up settings

Tags: