• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My first year with android.

I came to Android from Windows Mobile running on an LG Incite with a resistive touch screen and a stylus hanging from a little lipstick-style dongle. That was my first smartphone and it was not all that horrible. When it came time to move on, choices were very limited. The iPhone was just coming into it's second iteration and while they added 2G, there was still no MMS and it was still that shiny candy-bar metal monstrosity that looks like it should have come in a blister pack on the rack next to the slim jims in the mini-mart. ;)

I chose a Nexus One, paid full price and never looked back. It came with Eclair, but was shortly updated to FroYo and finally Gingerbread. I did get a Galaxy S but kept going back to the N1 as my daily driver.

Android was the only platform that provided me the level of customization that kept me satisfied with my devices for the longest period of time.

I still don't see the attraction to iOS, but then I've never been attracted to redheads either. ;)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I was on HTC diamond.. a windows phone.. on Sprint.
I needed to upgrade. but Sprint did NOT have any iphones back then.
I need something that could get tethering.. to my laptop.

did my research.. got the Sprint Hero.
rooted it.. and ROMed it. Customized it. got Tethering to work.
so much fun. I was hooked.

then came the original EVO. kicked some ass. HTC hit a homerun with that, but then they kind of lost their way.
went to Samsung S3 .. now on the Note3.

all the while watching apple and iPhone.. and the people that own it.
how they get tech behind the curve, but still get credit for being the innovator.

Upvote 0
I came to Android from Windows Mobile running on an LG Incite with a resistive touch screen and a stylus hanging from a little lipstick-style dongle. That was my first smartphone and it was not all that horrible. When it came time to move on, choices were very limited. The iPhone was just coming into it's second iteration and while they added 2G, there was still no MMS and it was still that shiny candy-bar metal monstrosity that looks like it should have come in a blister pack on the rack next to the slim jims in the mini-mart. ;)

I chose a Nexus One, paid full price and never looked back. It came with Eclair, but was shortly updated to FroYo and finally Gingerbread. I did get a Galaxy S but kept going back to the N1 as my daily driver.

Android was the only platform that provided me the level of customization that kept me satisfied with my devices for the longest period of time.

I still don't see the attraction to iOS, but then I've never been attracted to redheads either. ;)
If the m9 ends up having a windows 10 version I might get it. I haven't tried windows phone before. Only turn off is the tiles. If I could have an android/iphone style home screen I would have tried it out sooner.

Upvote 0
I have thought about trying Windows phone. but their lack of mainstream apps.. and small apps offerings.
I am very hesitant to give them a try.

I think there are many people like myself. so Microsoft is kind of stuck.
they need to somehow get quickly 10 times the apps.. and get all major mainstream apps.
before they can start to see more users.

Upvote 0
I have thought about trying Windows phone. but their lack of mainstream apps.. and small apps offerings.
I am very hesitant to give them a try.

I think there are many people like myself. so Microsoft is kind of stuck.
they need to somehow get quickly 10 times the apps.. and get all major mainstream apps.
before they can start to see more users.
That Is a huge issue with most people. I mean its hard to switch when u might lose your favorite apps. I don't mind giving it a try out but I won't be making it my daily driver.

Upvote 0
My first Android was that blasted LG Optimus M from MetroPCS back in 2011 :) Got it for $150 from online only sale. Unboxing it, wow. I loved it, until my phone slowed down and started sucking the battery so hard I was worried about a black hole enveloping the neighborhood... Which brought me to AF, where I discovered the culprit (Easy Wifi finder, anyone?) I hated it only after a month. 3 hours on battery. Reboots galore. Storage space is low. (with 3 apps??)...

Instead of dismissing Android altogether, I read up, found Mtmichaelson's posts here, rooted, flashed his stripped 2.2.2 stock ROM, done. I had to make this work. Can't afford an iPhone, Now I had a phone with a lot more space, smooth, TRIPLE the battery life and I now loved it. As more ROMs like CM7 and oh wow.. Themes came around? Oh yeah. Learning to play with ADB was an added bonus from joining AF.

Anyway, I've gone through several different Androids since the Optimus M:

LG Connect 4G, LG Motion, LG F6, a few Huawei phones (urgh... :) ) M835, Premia 4G, Valiant and finally ending up with a Nexus 5, LG F60, Kyocera HydroLife and a Huawei Vitria on my plan..... dang.

I've been around since 2.2.2 and now running Lollipop on my Nex 5 and Nex 7. There ya have it, 4 years of me playing with Android. I've many more stories of near-homicidal rage fits while owning these devices, I'll spare y'all the boring details :)

Why do I continue to donate to, as well as hang out here in AF? Because of this guy here: :D

Yeah well, Babylon 5 being available on a phone was a hot topic on the most active phone forum here when Flash became available.

Pardon me for mentioning a personal preference, glad it's been taken right out of context as a new launching point for another thread derailing.

Well played.

Moving this to the Lounge.

Everyone wants to play that way, including staff - let's do this. :)

J/K, it's everyone here.

~Spec

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I still have my Optimus V, one of those Gingerbread era devices I played with during the iPhone days. Turned it on (actually held a charge! ) and lag isn't the best way to describe the time it took between seeing the Life's Good logo and being usable
Gave my M to a nephew a year ago :( I wish I could have another like it, really. I adored it. Perfect size, shape, and the combined loudspeaker/earpiece was awesome. If Metro CDMA had 3G coverage where I am, I would have kept it much longer. Only 4G or 1x, so the choice back then was an LG Connect or Esteem if you wanted faster internet :)

Upvote 0
My dad's been having a fun time trying to learn android. He just moved from a 1st gen iPhone to a Nexus 4(which he's going to be giving back to my sister once his new Moto G 2014 arrives). The interface has confused him a bit because of the very simplified structure of iOS 3, lol. Eventually he'll adjust, but it's going to screw with him when the Moto G arrives and he goes back to Kitkat, only to get put back on Lollipop in a little bit when the update comes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones