1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My full 48hr review

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rsarno, Dec 30, 2011.

1. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish!

I'll start with the conclusion to save you from reading my long winded post. Despite a few small issues, i love the Prime, and i am keeping it.

Screen. its no exaggeration, the brightness and quality of the screen is breathtaking. I've been leaving it on 50% brightness with IPS off and it still blows me away.

Stock browser sucks. I recommend ditching it immediately, go get Opera or Dolphin and swap it out on the dock.

Dock .. i put ADW Launcher EX. It allows more homescreen customization and also gives me the 4D app draw hehe :)

Battery seems to last forever. I have had it unplugged and playing tegra games or setting up my home screens for most of the day. Still at 53% ... and at times i kick the brightness up to impress some ipad owners hehe lol

WiFi is definitely an issue. Is it a big issue or small issue? Only you can determine that. For me, the tablet clearly gets slightly less signal strength than my phone or laptop .. but its still plenty for anything im doing (usually browsing, FB'ing, playing games, etc)

GPS does not work. If you are on WiFi you wont have any issues because its using Wifi to determine your location. If you intend on using your tablet in the car as a navigation ... forget it. For me, this isnt an issue i didnt even know it was coming with GPS and i'd never be driving around with this running in my face.

sdcard location ... havent seen anyone mention this, but its an issue for me. The sdcard sticks out just a tad bit, actually just as much as the power button. So far 2 times i was showing it off to someone and they said "ooh whats this button?" and out comes the sdcard. Again not a huge issue but its definitely worth mentioning

Apps. Everyone will tell you "look at the market, that's how many apps you have to use!" and i say bullsh*t. I didn't spend $500 on a cutting edge piece of gadgetry to run some stretched out, distorted app that was not designed to run on a tablet. A lot of apps will look just fine, but so far most of the apps i have tried that i had on my phone, look like crap. The Android market is terrible for Tablets, otherwise they'd have a "Tablet" section. The Tegra Game Zone rocks! But unfortunately has only limited apps. Riptide, Shine Runner, Shadowgun ... awesome and jaw-dropping.

Wallpapers. This is just my own issue possibly, as this is my first tablet and i guess im just not used to it. But any wallpapers i download don't work! Honeycomb doesn't let you use the entire photo for some reason and i haven't quite figured it out yet. But changing wallpapers is very important to me, so this is a sore spot for me right now. Any advice is appreciated.

Overall, im impressed and im keeping it. It has its issues but they don't effect me enough to warrant a quick return.

I know i repeated a lot that others have said, hopefully it hasn't bored you to death.

Ask me any questions, im here all night lol

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Nastro

Nastro Member

What score is it getting on quadrant, Linpack, & Antutu?

3. djthebogan

djthebogan Well-Known Member

I want this tab, I got the thrive right now. The wallpaper thing bothers me too. Its so stupid how u have to crop the photo and its always a small portion of what u want, and yet the default wallpapers will install without needing to crop or anything. Hope the devz fix that. Does this save pics taken with the camera straight to the SD card or do u have to copy them? I couldn't figure it out on the thrive.

4. rsarno

Quadrant 1821
    Antutu 10472 total score (without battery)

Nastro likes this.
  5. jdbaker82

jdbaker82 Well-Known Member

when i go into the market i found a section for tablet apps right from the market main page and also a tablet wallpaper app that works just fine and has alot of wallpapers to choose from.

rsarno likes this.
  6. rsarno

I stand corrected, and really appreciate you pointing it out! I hadnt seen this and until now have been having a hard time finding "tablet" apps.

THANKS! 1 item off my list :)

7. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Great round up rsarno, some handy information in here. :)

The wallpaper issue I have with my Desire, whenever set via my phone it crops the image and it looks terrible. So I never bother any more, I use an App called Zedge; which is basically a download app for wallpapers/ringtones and let that set my wallpapers as there is no cropping or distortion. Only downside is that you can only set wallpapers you have downloaded - Which is fine by me. :)

8. golfernut78

golfernut78 Well-Known Member

i think "tablet apps" will always be an issue with android compared to apple/ipad. with apple, there are two resolutions - phone or tablet. with android there are over a hundred different resolutions/aspect ratios. while i don't like apple, the iphone or the ipad, this is something that is better than android - but with android i have options of what equipment i use which is why i will stay with android.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I think i read that ICS should solve most of those issues... But that is yet to be determined.

10. rsmin

rsmin Well-Known Member

Rsarno,

Great write up. I am with you on the gps issue, too big for my stiff riding mustang to have mounted on the dash. wifi works gray for me.

Thanks for the review you did a great job on it.

11. jstcynske

jstcynske Member

The gps issue is nothing special to me. I have never had good luck with gps in phones without having a connection to the internet. As long as the WiFi is ok, I will be more than happy.

12. erry

erry Well-Known Member

thats why i have an android phone and a ipad2, both are best at what they do!

13. Treknologist

Treknologist Android Enthusiast

You can also find tablet apps by using Tablified. It's an app that locates the tablet-optimized apps within the Android Market.

Nice, review, rsarno. I take it you're glad you waited for the Prime. Mine should be arriving on Tuesday and I can hardly wait. Like you, the GPS "issue" is a non-issue for me. I have no intention of using a tablet as a GPS unit in a car. I do understand, however, there are folks who want to use it that way.

14. Whorne

Whorne Lurker

Thanks for the informative review.

15. rsarno

2 times today i noticed my wifi dropped in the middle of browsing. i dont know whats going on, but ill have my eyes peeled. I dont have much room left for error on this device before i toss in the towel and await something more refined.

Both times i also had my phone in hand and it was still connected, yet my tablet lost connection mid-stream.

16. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

rsarno, just to clear your last post up. Was your prime connected directly to a router or was it tethered to your phone when the Wi-Fi dropped?

17. rsarno

router

18. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Yikes, I hope there is not a major issue with the Wi-Fi as well! It is bad enough the GPS seems buggered let alone this.

If both of these are part broken I won't be keeping my Prime for long as there is no chance I will be keeping a premium tablet that has these kind of issues!

19. rsmin

rsmin Well-Known Member

I haven't had it drop or hang up once and I have been on it a good bit the last three days.

20. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

It would be interesting to hear of someone do a large file download on their Prime to see how stable the Wi-Fi connection is.

21. Gatman

Gatman Android Enthusiast

I'm at work now...but when I get home I am game to try downloading a Linux distro. My router (Netgear WNDR3700v2) is in the basement in a crappy location - on a shelf about a foot below a steel support beam. I am still able to get wifi in my 2nd floor bedroom, but the signal there is weak.

I usually use the tablet in the family room, which is generally right above the router, but opposite the steel beam. I put WiFi analyzer on both my Droid Incredible and my Prime and then set them next to each other. I found the signal strength to be pretty close between them, with the Prime just a pinch weaker (phone averaged about -55 to -60 db and Prime averaged about -50 to -55 db). I did note that the weaker signals from my neighbors showed up much better on the phone than on the Prime. I also noticed the signal strength seems to vary more on the Prime than on the phone (e.g. the strength increases and decreases to a greater degree on the Prime than on the phone).

I won't be home until about 4pm-ish, but I'll do a huge download then sitting in the family room if no one else has done one and posted by then. I did do the speed test from my ISP (W.O.W.), and I got the full 8mbps down and 1mbps up when I tried that.

~Gary

22. rsmin

rsmin Well-Known Member

Gary,

Just a note. There is an update today from Asus that is "supposed" to help Wifi signals. Might want to download that as well.

23. Treknologist

Treknologist Android Enthusiast

There are reports of the update helping WiFi and improving GPS function as well. I know that is has been said that the GPS "fix" is nothing more than turning on the WiFi automatically but it seems to have helped.

24. Gatman

Gatman Android Enthusiast

Ok...I downloaded about 100megs of Ubuntu Linux, and it was pretty steady at around 8mbps (the cap from my ISP). I am not noticing a significant difference in wifi performance from before the update, but I didn't have any complaints before the update either.

Not sure this info is all that helpful.

~Gary

JAy3001 likes this.
  25. JAy3001

JAy3001 Android Expert

Nice one, thanks for the test Gatman. :)

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Forum

The ASUS Eee Pad Transformer release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 10.1" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, and Nvidia Tegra 2 T20 processor.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews