• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My G1 is the slowest phone I've ever used.

ArcticFox

Lurker
Jan 5, 2010
I've had the G1 (on T-Mo) since earlier this year, and while it's a great phone, I can't get over how slow it is. It's such a dog I almost want to get rid of it and get a cheap flip or something.

I'll clarify by "slow", it's like running Vista on 128MB of RAM or something. Yes, everything works, but every so often I'll get an app that's not responding, or I'll open the browser to view a page just to wait around until it finally un-freezes. The more apps on it, the slower it is obviously, so I try not to have much, but what I'm doing isn't unreasonable.

It's got firmware 1.6 on it, and almost 41MB of space free on the internal memory. There's a 2GB SD card but it's just for pictures and such.

I've tried to root it three times or so but it never seems to work, I think the farthest I've gotten was freezing up at the G1 boot screen.

Anything I should do/look for to speed this thing up? If rooting it with something else would work I'd be willing to try that again.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones