1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My G4 is being delivered today, What should I buy for it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jhonb, Jul 3, 2013.

1. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

When I get home from work today, my new N4 will be on my doorstep. I am coming off a Galaxy Nexus. What do I need to buy for this sucker.

I want a wireless charger, but I have read that the phone falls of of the stock one. Any suggestion on a third party one? I see quite a few on Amazon.

It is coming with a free bumper but the one thing I have read about this phone is that it is fragile. I currently use a 9 buck TPU case I got from amazon. Should I get one for this phone as well? I am not into screen protectors as I have never scratched or cracked a phone, but I guess their is always a first time. Is one recommended?

Any great apps that this phone can take advantage of, or any great tips. I have been reading this forum the past few days to see what to expect.

thanks for any help you can give me.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Getting a some sort of a case is highly recommended for this phone. The back is kind of slick and is prone to slippage from both your hands or surfaces. If it falls even a slight distance unprotected, there's a high chance of breaking the rear glass panel. I don't know about wireless chargers, since I don't use one. I don't use a screen protector, just a diztronic tpu case.

As for the software side, if you plan to root, use a custom rom/kernel, or enable LTE on it, then first thing you should do is unlock the bootloader. Doing any of those requires that the device be unlocked which to do so requires a complete wipe of the device. You might already know that though since you come from a Gnex.

El Presidente likes this.
  3. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

Funny, I just ordered that exact case. It is the same one I had for my GNex. And yes, I will unlock the bootloader, so I guess I have to get whatever is equal to the Gnex toolkit. I plan to keep the stock rom as I did with my Gnex. I assume I can find the programs I need for the bootloader here. I just got the text from UPS my phone is here. I am out the door from work in 5.

Thanks

4. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Wugs Toolkit works on the Nexus 4 as well as the Gnex. All you have to do is change your device in it's options and you're good to go.

jhonb likes this.
  5. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

^^This, works great...make sure you use a Windows 7 computer...it doesn't work on XP & I also think some users have Windows 8 problems.

Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit

jhonb likes this.
  6. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

I have win 7. I know for the Gnex I had to install the usb drivers. I am glad I don't have to do this on this one. I will download wugs as soon as finish this email. Last time I use the galaxy nexus toolkit. I will give wugs a try, I assume it is menu driven like GNtoolkit. I have the phone charging now, I will download a boat load of cooking shows for my wife to watch so she will leave me alone tonight. (G)

7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

I got it to work on win8, but the issue stems from win8 not allowing the installation of unsigned drivers without some configuration.

8. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

Should I unlock the bootloader before I install the sim card?

9. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

Not an issue either way. You really just want to do it before you starting getting set up with apps, and what not. Sim card won't lose its info from this, so you can activate it with no issues.

10. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

Thanks, I know google will start doing it's thing when I first boot up the phone if I have the sim and put in my account., so maybe I will wait.
    Here goes...

11. lion7718

I have the same case, I like it a lot...suits my needs.

12. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

13. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

Arrrrg, I can't get the drivers to work. Yes I have debugging checked.

14. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

I assume you are following Wugs toolkit's guide for installing the drivers?

15. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

Yes, deleted all other android crap, it just won't see it. tried pdanet, but I think I could not dl it because I did not have the sim in my card and hadn't logged into google.

Hey, if I unlock the bootloader, will it delete any programs that came with the phone?

16. lion7718

Did you try installing them as Admin..??

I tried to delete YouTube & couldn't, said it was part of the ROM or something...YT has never worked on my N4...can't even disable it...but you can disable all other Google apps that come installed.

BTW...I'm Rooted Stock...you don't have to install pdanet or TWRP.

17. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'

I remember when I did my Nexus 4 drivers, I had to use the naked drivers. Then again, I was using win8.

18. charliecc

charliecc Android Enthusiast

I'd suggest getting a screen protector. I went naked with mine and I now have 3 quite significant scratches on the screen.

NOTE: I couldn't have treated this phone any more carefully, it's never been dropped and never goes in my pocket with anything else.

19. meg29

meg29 Lurker

Hello, you have to think about the wireless charger. If you want to charge your phone with the wcp - 405 lg charger then you have to buy a leather folder case... I have that phone and i avoid wireless charging because the battery overheated! (i have seen many times 53 Celsius battery temperature!). So i have bought (before 4 months) this a real leather flip case and i feel that my phone is protected not only the back glass side but all the parts of my cellphone.

www.accestories.com/index.php/en/accestories/866/91/cell-phone-accessories/other-brands-accessories/lg-nexus-4-e960-cover-leather-case-with-screen-protector-and-cleaning-cloth-detail

20. DC1022

DC1022 Well-Known Member

First apps to download SwipePad, and Glovebox. Then of course Google drive, keep/evernote, and Box will give you 50gbs free cloud storage.

21. jhonb

jhonb Android Enthusiast

Well, here is what I got for the phone so far:

Zen's wireless Charger... Works great
    Diztronic TPU case. (USB port cutout too small for my plug, power and vol me buttons too hard to push)
    Bumper case that came with it (earphone cutout too small for my cable)
    Mercury TPU case. (earphone cutout too small for my cable but I drilled it out.)
    smFilm screen and back protector. No issues.
    Mountek nGroove CD mount car holder (Being delivered today)
    Homespot NFC blue tooth audir receiver for my car. (My car has a Bluetooth phone device, but it is not hooked to my car stereo. This will eliminate an audio cable. Will be delivered Thursday)

I never did unlock my phone. I will take another run at it soon.

22. RCG

RCG Newbie

+1 for Diztronic TPU case.

I got the matte smoke, translucent one.

No OTA 4.3 update yet.

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews