• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My gmail was hacked today...

RetroDude

Jun 6, 2010
Have a feeling it may have happened via the phone,

anyone know of any suspect apps from this list.

3G watchdog
abduction
adblock Plus
alchemy
appbrain
astro
batteryLife
BattStatt
Blocked stone
Blow up
Bookmarks to SD
Bump
Chrome to Phone
Dolphin
Dropbox
Goggles
Sky Map
Handcent
Layar
Maps
Mini Info
MSN Talk
My Tracks
myPlayer
OpenSudoku
Rainy Days
Ringdroid
Robodefense
Rockplayer
Shazam
ShopSavvy
Shot 3
Speed Test
Super Tumble
Tajm
TIKL
Tunee Music
Tunes Remote
Unified Remote
Urbanspoon
Voice Search

Obviously some clearly legit apps there but has anyone heard of any problems.

It also neatly coincided with google asking me for my phone number as a backup incase i forget my password. Defo legit as that popup came through secure google login

abduction
adblock Plus
alchemy
batteryLife
BattStatt
Blocked stone
Blow up
Bookmarks to SD
Bump
Sky Map
Handcent
Layar
Mini Info
My Tracks
myPlayer
OpenSudoku
Rainy Days
Ringdroid
Robodefense
Rockplayer
ShopSavvy
Shot 3
Speed Test
Super Tumble
Tajm
TIKL
Tunee Music
Tunes Remote
Urbanspoon

I've ruled out those that it are probably not, leaving this quoted list.

Upvote 0
In Gmail there is a link at the bottom of the page amongst all the stuff about how much free space that says last account activity and a link on the word details. If you click that you can see when you account was accessed and the IP address used. Look for an odd one and report it.

Upvote 0
Hard to say if any of those apps has the possibility, I heard Brazil is common for internet hijackers these days much like Romania and China is.

Looking at the apps guide in the android applications forum section, this looks like what the app needs to find out your gmail info, if your hack was related to it:
androidwarning.gif
System tools
retrieve running applications
This permission is of moderate impact. It will allow an application to find out what other applications are running on your phone. While not a danger in an of itself, it would be a useful tool for someone trying to steal your data. Typical legitimate applications that require this permission include: task killers and battery history widgets.

Reactions: RetroDude
Upvote 0
Just out of interest... does anyone know what kind of security Gmail sync uses? i.e. if you connect your phone to an unsecured/public wi-fi network, is it possible for somebody to packet sniff that to capture login details/password?

I usually try to connect through a VPN connection when using unsecured wi-fi but there is always the gap between managing to connect to the wi-fi network and then managing to log in to the VPN connection (Desire doesn't seem to allow you to do this automatically)

Upvote 0
In my browsers (Dolphin, Froyo stock, Skyfire and Opera Mini) I have the following set up which helps prevent any passwords and websites from gaining data.

Switched on;

Private browsing (where available),

Switched off;

Cookies,
Remember Form Data,
Remember Passwords,
Enable location.

Not sure IF you guys are aware of the way that the browser stores this info by default. This would make it very easy for any dodgy websites, emails/txts, apps to get access to your data!

Make it part of your routine when browsing to clear this info. On some browsers like Dolphin you can set it to clear on exit by holding the back button until the Exit menu pops up. You can select to clear the cache and history on here.

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones