• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My (horrible) Nexus One support experience

cstavaru

Jun 2, 2010
Hi,

I thought this can serve as a heads up for people who want to fix their Nexus One phones...

So I am located in Romania. This hasn't stopped me from buying a Nexus One the day it was launched, through a package forwarding company.

Fast forward a few months, and my phone has a lot of dust under the screen. I needed to have it repaired and I spoke to a HTC representative over the phone, he presented me two options and the swap option seemed best for me since I would not be forced to live without a phone. He specifically told me that the replacement would not be new but it would look and feel brand new.

They locked $530 from my credit card and sent me a replacement phone via the package forwarding company, and I would have to send my phone via UPS for my $100 expense.

OMG ! The replacement had dings all over the frame, the back cover does not close without some gaps, the power button is loose and generally a wreck of a phone. But the screen seemed new...yeah, it will look and feel brand new...haha :mad:

So I have called HTC repair center to tell them I will send their replacement back because it is rubbish and I would like to send my phone in the same package for a repair. But...I can't ! They said I have to send the replacement back first, then they will close the ticket and then I will have to open a new repair ticket and send my phone to them separately (and spend another $100 sending from outside US).

Well...right now I have an impulse to throw both phones in the garbage bin and get a cheap Nokia. I like my phones to be in the best possible shape, I sold my previous iPhones in factory-new shape...and now this. I think I will make one more effort and send both phone within one package and write one explanative letter in the box to tell them I did that in order to save $100. But it will be my last attempt at owning a Nexus One !

So...that's my story. Don't ever do Nexus One swaps with Google/HTC, they will send you junk.

I had the exact opposite experience. Had an issue with my N1, called google who transfered me to HTC, I opt to have the $530 hold placed on my card and keep my old N1 until the new one arrived. When I got the new one I examined them side by side and I believe the new N1 was of a higher quality then my original. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones