• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Htc Desire is deleting my text messages!

Do you still have HTC Sense installed or did you just stop it sync-ing up? If you've uninstalled it then that absolves it from being to blame, but I'm still not in a rush to reinstall it.
I "removed account" in Settings -> Accounts & sync -> HTC Sense - so effectively uninstalled HTC Sense sync, which is (I think) what people were suspecting may be the problem earlier in this thread. If you're talking about "HTC Sense" the GUI for the entire phone, no I haven't touched that at all.

Upvote 0
I "removed account" in Settings -> Accounts & sync -> HTC Sense - so effectively uninstalled HTC Sense sync, which is (I think) what people were suspecting may be the problem earlier in this thread. If you're talking about "HTC Sense" the GUI for the entire phone, no I haven't touched that at all.

Ah, I meant just the 'removed account' thing, yep. I guess that's not it. :(

Upvote 0
Well, I went to use my HTC Desire Z today and... all the texts have gone again :(

I didn't have HTC Sense on it, so it's not that.

I bought it through dialaphone but since people have had trouble getting any common sense out of HTC themselves then clearly there's no point doing that.

I last backed up with MyBackupPro a couple of days ago, and have also had SMS Backup running, but while it says it last did a backup at 8pm last night, I go to restore and... "The application SMS Backup+ (process.com.zegoggles.smssync) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".

It's done that three times, the latest one after switching the phone off and on again just in case that helped.

Is there anything that works automatically, or shall I just have to use MyBackupPro daily and hope it doesn't delete them before I do it? :(

Upvote 0
Well, I went to use my HTC Desire Z today and... all the texts have gone again :(

I didn't have HTC Sense on it, so it's not that.

I bought it through dialaphone but since people have had trouble getting any common sense out of HTC themselves then clearly there's no point doing that.

I last backed up with MyBackupPro a couple of days ago, and have also had SMS Backup running, but while it says it last did a backup at 8pm last night, I go to restore and... "The application SMS Backup+ (process.com.zegoggles.smssync) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".

It's done that three times, the latest one after switching the phone off and on again just in case that helped.

Is there anything that works automatically, or shall I just have to use MyBackupPro daily and hope it doesn't delete them before I do it? :(
Backup to gmail costs about

Reactions: DVDfever
Upvote 0
To add insult to injury, I tried to restore my last backup made using MyBackupPro on Tuesday, and got the error msg:

"restore sms failed: no such table: contacts 1: , while compiling: SELECT * FROM contacts1 WHERE thread_id = 1 ."

Er... huh?

A google showed it might be something to do with SMS Backup+ so I "cleared data" from that, then switched off, removed battery, switched back on, and then I could restore the texts (god knows why it happened). Now I've uninstalled SMS Backup+ and am going to try "Backup to Gmail" which is

Upvote 0
Hi,

This happened to my friend this morning and she did a factory reset right away.

She had HTC Sense on her phone before, and the messages were stored on Sense, and after restoration, she added her HTC sense account back on the phone, and within an hour her texts started to reappeared on her phone.

Not all the texts are back yet, but they're returning alright.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the site although I've been an android user for a couple of years now.

I have a HTC Desire HD and I'm with T-Mobile and have been for just over 5 months.

Well I must say I absolutely love the phone and it's ease of use for the most part.

I use it for a lot of my business needs so reliability is of the utmost importance to me.

BUT and it is a big BUT I'm absolutely sick and tired of hearing a new message come through, opening my phone to find that it isn't there and also the rest of my messages have gone.

The first time I lost close to 6000 messages I then installed SMS Backup & Restore and tried to restore the texts when I remembered The next time I lost around 1500 messages and the two times after that a few hundred.

I had a play around with the app and decided to schedule a back up for 0500 every morning.

Anyway this morning the same thing has happened again, also after this happened I heard the notification tone for three new messages which didn't come though. I knew one to be from my wife due to the individual message tone, she confirmed that she had sent a message.

At first I couldn't restore from SMS Backup & Restore despite trying several times I got an error message.

I mounted the phone as a harddrive and found the folder to establish the back up file was there, it was and contained messages.

I came on here to see if I could find the location of where the texts are saved by the phone as I wanted to try and copy the back up file over manually.

I started reading this thread and tried the suggestions above which didn't work for me.

I restarted my phone again and tried the restore again, it worked this time so I didn't lose the 2000 messages I thought I might.

Frustratingly the restored messages only go back to the afternoon of the 18th April even though the last back up was run at 0500 this morning, I don't understand this but guess this is a problem with the app not the phone.

This problem has obviously been raging on for around a year now and obviously needs attention from HTC and the carriers.

This product is not fit for purpose if it cannot be relied upon to perform the most basic of tasks i.e. not indescriminately deleting all our data without prompting.

As such I wonder if we should be refunded for the cost of these faulty units or as a minimum offered a suitable replacement?

Is this issue only being reported on the HTC handsets?

Anyway rant over, I'll be contacting T-Mobile and HTC next.

Please keep the updates coming on this thread, it will be very usefull to keep up with everybody elses findings.

Upvote 0
I have now contacted HTC who said the problem has only just come to light, which reading this and other forums is obviously rubbish.

He said they are working on a fix but couldn't give any indication as to how long this would take.

He said I could send my phone in for repair, this is not an option for me as I use my phone for business and couldn't be without it for 1/2 day never mind a week +.

Interestingly he said it is only a very small number of handsets that seem to be affected.

I rang T-Mobile technical support and spoke to a girl called Carly who I have to say was one of the most helpful call centre workers I have ever spoken to.

She was very helpful and has arranged for a replacement phone to be sent out tomorrow.

She also backed up the HTC workers claims as she said that I was the first call she had ever had about this issue, she was however familiar with the problem as it happened to her for the first and only time recently on her Desire HD.

Fingers crossed the new phone doesn't have the same issues, I will be backing up from day one though!

Upvote 0
This is the message I have received from HTC regarding the problem, I asked that they send me an email confirming our conversation for my records:-

Thank you for your telephone call earlier today, I can confirm that we are aware of this issue on certain handsets, where text messages are being deleted and are currently working on a fix. I am, at this time, unable to comment on the time scale of when the fix will be made available.

We can book in your handset for a repair at our center to better diagnose the problem, however we are unable to provide you with a temporary phone while your's is being repaired.

The only solutions we have at the present time would be to factory reset your phone, or use an app available from the marketplace to back up your text messages.

I trust this has resolved your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Upvote 0
I found this thread after getting thoroughly fed up with my phone! This is the second time for me it's deleted all of my text messages without permission! The first time I thought it must have been something I did but this time I am not so sure. I have nothing that implies automatic deletion turned on, no one had access to my phone and they were there earlier today.
I did have an HTC sense account but I see no option to even backup/view text messages on the website for me or in the account settings on my phone so I wasn't hopeful deleting, adding it again etc would work (which it didn't.) Neither did taking out the battery or any other tricks I saw.
I did have over 1000+ texts I would imagine, one conversation alone might have been reaching that but my Desire Z showed no signs of slowing, being at a memory limit etc so not sure it was that either but like I said I don't have automatic deletion on anyway.
I've emailed HTC with my problem but has anyone who has had a new phone been rid of the fault or are all android opperated phones destined to do this from now on? I really don't want to live with this for my two year contract...

Upvote 0
I've just had this problem happen again, and at the same time the home screen has gone a bit screwy with some of the graphics slightly to the right, so the time (normally top-left) is shifted a bit to the right of its area, so looks odd. Similar, the 'fog' graphic that's in the weather box is off to the right, and the onscreen buttons at the bottom for the apps, phone and personalise, are all a bit off. Anyone else had that?

I tried switching it off and on and no joy. I'm going to try taking the battery out too. I've trying restoring my SMS with Mybackuppro and it's frozen on 'removing SMS'.

A reboot and the graphics are back to normal. And the SMS have returned in full. I know the Mybackuppro restore didn't complete itself behind the scenes because I last backed up on Sat evening and I also had a few yesterday.

This phone (or the software on it, at least) is still completely p'ing me off, though.

Upvote 0
I too discovered all of my texts have suddenly been erased today. Everything was fine this morning and then went to refer to a text this afternoon and there all gone.

I've restarted the hadnset and nothing.

HTC Desire HD
Android 2.2
Software NUmber - 1.32.405.6
Unbranded

Is there a solution to prevent this from happening again and to retrieve the erased messages?

Cheers,

Upvote 0
What the....?! My Desire HD was just lying on my desk, I haven't touched it for at least 30 minutes. Suddenly it vibrates - like it does when receiving a text message. I turned the screen on, tried to open the list of text messages (just by opening the built-in messaging application) - EMPTY! Tried restarting the phone, still empty :mad:. What the ... is going on here?!

I did notice that the messaging application crashed earlier today (the "force close" button appeared), but I didn't pay too much attention to that.

HTC?! Google?! You must be kidding me!

Upvote 0
Just had a text come through. Clicked on 'reply', got an error message saying Messaging had crashed (I've got about 3200 msgs) and then they were all deleted. Luckily, I'd backedup last night. However, I went to do a restore but it failed, like in my last post.

I did the reboot by taking the battery out, but unlike last time, my texts didn't miraculously reappear and I'm restoring them now. :mad:

Has anyone been onto HTC recently about this issue?

Upvote 0
Just had a text come through. Clicked on 'reply', got an error message saying Messaging had crashed (I've got about 3200 msgs) and then they were all deleted. Luckily, I'd backedup last night. However, I went to do a restore but it failed, like in my last post.

I did the reboot by taking the battery out, but unlike last time, my texts didn't miraculously reappear and I'm restoring them now. :mad:

Has anyone been onto HTC recently about this issue?
Did the Backup to Gmail app fail for you? It has always worked for me, so sorry to hear that :(

I've sent HTC a few messages, and think the more of us that do the more likely it is to be fixed. There's a link in one of my messages somewhere up there *points up* hope this helps.

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread. The link is http://www.htc.com/uk/CS_Mail.aspx

Upvote 0
Did the Backup to Gmail app fail for you? It has always worked for me, so sorry to hear that :(

I've sent HTC a few messages, and think the more of us that do the more likely it is to be fixed. There's a link in one of my messages somewhere up there *points up* hope this helps.

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread. The link is HTC - Support - Customer Service - Support via e-Mail

Yep, I tried to restore it a couple of times and no joy. Didn't think of trying it today but it's still running in the background. Will try and remember next time.

I've just emailed HTC via that link, thanks.

Upvote 0
My SMS app just crashed again about 30 mins ago, with no other texts coming in, and they've all gone again! That's twice in 24hrs!

I did try to use the SMS Backup to Gmail again, for restoring, but this time tried taking out the battery first, since when I've used MybackupPro, I've always had to do that to make it work. And now SBtG is working!

It's managed to backup over 9000 texts so I'm letting it get on with it to see what I get. I'll post back if I get any problems. Really p'ing me off, though that this has happened TWICE in two days! :mad:

Upvote 0
I have had the same problem just happen to me for the third time now. Its extremely annoying. I have spoke with HTC they acknowledge the problem, but do not have an update yet for this basic problem. I suggest everyone on this thread and forums complains to the bbc program Watchdog. I have just sent them my complaint, if enough of us send in complaints, this subject will get some media attention, which in turn might make HTC come out with an update to resolve this basic issue.

As no one in the media, has caught up on this HTC, thinks they can treat their customers as badly as they want.

If we all complain, Watchdog will highlight this problem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones