1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

my laptop doesnt like sam kies..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by james_uk, Dec 28, 2011.

1. james_uk

james_uk Android Enthusiast

is there any other software that can be used instead of kies?

when i connect my phone to the laptop it seems to take me ages to connect it, im restarting me laptop, it wont connect, restarting me phone still wont connect, eventually after doing this a few times it connects.

so it shows connected, shows my fw version etc. i then click the photos or videos menu so look / transfer my files its just showing a refresh window as if its looking for them (and theres only a few) and it just keeps doing that and doesnt seem to find them.

im just really fed up with kies its rubbish.

any ideas?

james

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

If all you are looking to do is to copy files you can put your phone into storage mode. Go to menu>settings>wireless & networks>USB utilities and plug your phone in when prompted. You phone will show up as a removable drive after you approve the connection.

If you want a little better level of management, you could try My Phone Explorer.

3. james_uk

I have tried that and it still wont work, when i connect via storage mode the drive shows in my computer but only shows as an unformatted drive, i cant go into it and view files. when i look at the storge on my phone it shows the correct space and my pics / vids do save to the phone, my laptop just doesnt seem to want to connect via the phone and kies.

not really sure what to do because i cant access my files at all at the moment.

when i connect my phone kies starts and shows sometimes that the phones connected, its just when i try to do anything after this, if i click on photos / videos / views files in explorer everything just freezes.

i dont know for sure but from what i can remember when i had android 2.3.3 on my phone (as i got it) i didnt have an issue, it seems after i upgraded to 2.3.5 but i cant be sure if its this or not!

4. lunatic59

When I first tried Kies, every time I installed it, it wanted to update from 2.0.3 to 2.1.0 so I figured latest and greatest. It refused to connect to my GS2 no matter what I tried. After a little reading, I found some references to my model (i777) and that the version of Kies for my phone was 2.03. So, I uninstalled Kies entirely, reinstalled 2.03 and did NOT update it. All of a sudden it would connect without problems.

You might want to consider removing Kies. Once Kies is gone, try connecting as storage and see if it works that way. Then try an earlier version of Kies.

5. james_uk

going to downgrade now and give it a go. if a new fw comes out i,e android 4.0 would only the newer version of kies find it our would the older version update my phone also?

6. lunatic59

You'd have to ask Samsung that question. My guess is that it will only be tested on phones that are still being sold.

7. james_uk

it looks like ive solved the issue, i had lost my usb lead a few months back and bought a generic one on ebay for about

8. lunatic59

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews