• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Library - A personal library for music, movies, and books (IN DEVELOPMENT)

bob3695

Lurker
Apr 14, 2009
Hi guys,

I am working on my first Android app and its coming along very nicely. I took the idea from your Ideas thread. I can't recall the name of the person that requested it off the top of my head but basiclly what it does is allows you to scan a barcode of your movies, music, and/or books and create a little personal library of your collections.

So far i have it working with DVDs only. I am going to have it working for VHSs as soon as i get my hands on a few VHS barcodes (i dont own any VHSs :-x), so if you have any send them my way. The app requires that you have Barcode Scanner installed on your phone which is avaliable from the market.

When you launch the app you are presented with a select of Movies, Books, Music, and Scan. Movies shows the list of movies you have added to your library and the scan option will launch the barcode scanner. Once you start scanning it will keep scanning till you hit the back button on the phone.

As of now you can't remove movies from your library but that is coming, along with hopefully pulling more info off the internet about each movie, cd, and book. Also planned is a server component that will run on your personal computer that will talk with your app and it will keep the information on your personal computer.

If you would like to try it out you can download it from:
http://richsspace.net78.net/MyLibrary.apk

Thanks guys

I am primarily looking for a way to scan books and keep the database on my computer. Similar to what Book Collector can do over at Collectorz.com -- but using my Andoird G-1 instead of purchasing a laser barcode scanner.

Please let me know as soon as you have your server side up to be able to collect and store info on a PC. I would love to help beta test this.

Moreover, it would be great if on the Android app you had a two sections--an I already own this" database and a "Wish List" database--so if you're at a book store or friend's house and see a book (or movie, CD, etc.) that you'd like to acquire in the future, all one would have to do is scan, then like add to wish list instead of writing it down and trying to remember at a later date... this could easily be a top-downloaded app!

Thanks for the work you're doing and I'll look forward to it coming into fruition!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones