• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My new avatar...

Steven58

Former Heavyweight Champion of AF-Early Bird Club
Feb 19, 2010
USA
I've gotten several mentions about my new avatar, which is a protest to Moto about our locked bootloaders. If anyone wants to join me in this subtle protest, feel free to copy the avatar and use it for yourselves.

This is the last locked bootloader phone I'll ever buy. You have my word on that. It's my phone, not Motorola's.

Reactions: cbanning and mjd515
While I agree with your stance on the locked bootloader I really feel like we aren't missing all that much considering all the fantastic devs working on the X. In the end though the only way to make Moto change is to hit them in the pocket book. But its going to be tough staying away from the X2 and I will be getting a Xoom. Damn you Motorola!

Upvote 0
@Bankswood: I don't know... I'm not eligible for an upgrade until July or I can use my use my son's. The thunderbolt looks pretty sweet to me as I do have a thing for sense ui. I don't know. At this point, Motorola's the boss of my bootloader. Come July, when I can upgrade? I'm the boss and I'm going to keep it that way.

@FragDroidX: +1. We do have the best devs. They keep my rom addiction going and keep me from jumping off a cliff! ;)

Upvote 0
I have decided that, at this point, usability of my phone, including the form factor, materials, size, shape, internals (cpu/radio/etc) and battery life, are more important than my need to noodle with the OS.

If another company produces a phone with a form factor/internals/etc. to compete with this phone (or a future Motorola phone), I would happily switch to an unlocked bootloader.

Unfortunately, there just wasn't anything that compared with the DX - locked bootloader or not. HTC has decided they don't care enough about battery life, and the OG Snapdragon just wasn't cutting it. Samsung decided they didn't care enough about their phone radios, screwed up the GPS, and crippled the phone with their proprietary filesystem which caused no end of problems.

I fear that we are heading down the same road again, with Motorola jumping on board with NVIDIA and going all-in with dual core. I would really like an unlocked bootloader... but not at the cost of high quality cell/GPS radios, good battery life, high end internals and a nice form factor/materials. IMO, those are all more important.

Upvote 0
I would really like an unlocked bootloader... but not at the cost of high quality cell/GPS radios, good battery life, high end internals and a nice form factor/materials. IMO, those are all more important.

Agreed, I haven't found a device yet that can pull in a weak signal, and sound good while doing it, quite like a Motorola. HTC devices drop calls in my weak signal area...

Damn you Moto. :mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones