• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My NEW HTC EVO V 4G still has the Sprint logo?!

Skelaz

Aug 12, 2012
I ordered the HTC EVO V 4G from the Virgin Mobile website on August 10th AFTER I specifically contacted them to see if they still had the Sprint logo on their phones and they said it's the Virgin Mobile logo now but when my phone arrived today it still had to Sprint logo, wtf?

I'm waiting until it's fully charged before using it and I hope it's not a defective phone with all the issues mentioned below me. :(

might be the same phone but i find it odd they still have so many sprint branded ones to sell.one would think they would of ran out of them a long time ago and only have the new virgin ones left.

when it comes down to it some people including myself would rather have a brand new one instead of one that has been sitting in the warehouse then flashed with vm software.

Upvote 0
might be the same phone but i find it odd they still have so many sprint branded ones to sell.one would think they would of ran out of them a long time ago and only have the new virgin ones left.

when it comes down to it some people including myself would rather have a brand new one instead of one that has been sitting in the warehouse then flashed with vm software.

This phone never really took off, so thats why they have so many. It's not like they have a shelf life, a phone sitting never used for a year will be exactly the same as one made yesterday

Upvote 0
This phone never really took off, so thats why they have so many. It's not like they have a shelf life, a phone sitting never used for a year will be exactly the same as one made yesterday

when a product isnt selling well you cut production lines and once you have a decent stockpile of that product you cease all production of it.i been in that field for a long time.that is why i find it odd they still are selling sprint branded ones.they should of ran out of them by now.

now maybe this phone isnt selling as well as vm expected so they slowed down on making new ones and that is why so many people are getting sprint branded ones.

doesnt matter if they dont have a shelf life like i said a lot of people would rather get a new product instead of one that has been sitting in a warehouse.

Upvote 0
After reading this message thread I looked at my exchanged Evo V and immediately noticed the Sprint logo was missing from the front at top right which the defective one had (see my 3D focus problem message).

Now I've removed the serial number sticker from the back and... voila! There's a Virgin Mobile emblem molded onto the case, it's not just a decal.

I was a little curious about all this myself after looking around the 'net for info about this phone and noticing the question elsewhere. Go to admit, I was wondering why BBM store would still have the Sprint ones after it went on sale 2 months ago. Bought the original (and defective) one August 1st. Exchanged for current one today.

Oh, and both are the black with red around main cameras not the plum color. Funny that I didn't notice the Sprint logo being gone until now, guess I had been ignoring it real good.

Of course, I have no idea about the internals of these things. Smartphone is very new to me, having gotten by okay using a Motorola RIZR Z3 the past several years without using the GPS or web browser on it and only as a camera phone! ;)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
All right, a proud Virgin Mobile owner!!

They are the same phone regardless. I personally don't like any of these branding/logos. I have a VM branded phone (after swapping a sprint one). So no sprint logo on top, and the VM on the back is covered by the case. If I could, I would get rid off that htc logo on top of my phone as well. I slapped a Star Trek Federation logo on the case instead.

Upvote 0
Just picked one of these up yesterday, awesome so far. It replaced my unfortunately dead OG EVO 4g on Sprint. Glad to have a lot cheaper bill now. LOL I did have a couple resource errors the first few hours after activation, but haven't had any since then.

My OG 4G was rooted and romed, since pretty much the day I got it. I'm looking forward to doing the same with my EVO V 4G too.

Mine is branded as a Sprint on the front, really are there any noticable differences? Mine is hardware rev. 0002, if that helps.

Upvote 0
when a product isnt selling well you cut production lines and once you have a decent stockpile of that product you cease all production of it.i been in that field for a long time.that is why i find it odd they still are selling sprint branded ones.they should of ran out of them by now.

now maybe this phone isnt selling as well as vm expected so they slowed down on making new ones and that is why so many people are getting sprint branded ones.

doesnt matter if they dont have a shelf life like i said a lot of people would rather get a new product instead of one that has been sitting in a warehouse.
Having Sprint branded phones still available has nothing at all to do with your mistaken theory of supply and demand. How about something as simple as contractual obligations. With the better specs Sprint expected the phone to surpass the original Evo in sales and guaranteed supply by ordering so many units.They did the same thing with the iPhone, even if Sprint couldn't sell phone one they were under contract with Apple to purchase a minimum of115.5 billion dollars worth. It's the only way of insuring that you have adequate supply if a phone does take off in sales.And considering that they are solid state, have no moving parts where are all these people that would prefer an identical phone built yesterday rather than a year ago. Functionally both phones are identical except for silk screening. In reality if there was going to be any sort of quality issues it would be with the newer phones perhaps substituting lesser parts that are still functionally equivalent and wouldn't require FCC re-certification.

Upvote 0
Having Sprint branded phones still available has nothing at all to do with your mistaken theory of supply and demand. How about something as simple as contractual obligations. With the better specs Sprint expected the phone to surpass the original Evo in sales and guaranteed supply by ordering so many units.They did the same thing with the iPhone, even if Sprint couldn't sell phone one they were under contract with Apple to purchase a minimum of115.5 billion dollars worth. It's the only way of insuring that you have adequate supply if a phone does take off in sales.And considering that they are solid state, have no moving parts where are all these people that would prefer an identical phone built yesterday rather than a year ago. Functionally both phones are identical except for silk screening. In reality if there was going to be any sort of quality issues it would be with the newer phones perhaps substituting lesser parts that are still functionally equivalent and wouldn't require FCC re-certification.

there have been so many post in this forum and others of people that would rather have a virgin branded phone then a sprint branded one.i find it hard to believe that you missed them all.maybe re read the op post.i could try to explain to you why but i know it would be a waste of my time.

you got me my 15 years of experience in the production/manufacturing field and i know nothing about how it works.

Upvote 0
What he's saying though is the Sprint phones are guaranteed to work as they always have, going through mandatory FCC regulation, and the Virgin ones may not have had to go through FCC re-certification, making it possible that inferior parts were substituted. So theoretically, the Virgin ones can only be equal or worse. (But I bet equal)

i think you both misread what i posted.i am in no way shape or form saying that there is a difference in the phones.all i am saying is there are people out there that would rather have the newest one.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. OverByter has a point in that phones made a year ago through a contract carrier should have less problems than phones produced now through a prepaid carrier. I just activated my new phone and it has no problems, thank god! If there is any problems, I'll be sure to post it. Thanks for all your help, this forum is the best Android forum. :)

Upvote 0
I love having a Sprint branded one. People don't have to know that I use Virgin Mobile.

I'm the opposite, I personally don't care what someone else thinks about which carrier I use. In fact, I will gladly state the fact that I'm a Virgin Mobile user and that I'm glad to have nearly all the features I had with Sprint. Oh, it gets better I really enjoy the look on people's faces when I tell them what my monthly bill is.

It's a great feeling to be saving almost $80 a month over 2 lines on Sprint. Still have to switch the wife over to either VM or Boost, she hasn't decided what phone she wants. LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones