• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My new laptop...and how I borked it

Linux is great if you're up to doing work to maintain it. Me, not so much anymore. I just want to use my computer as is.
As someone who uses Linux all day, every day, I'm a little lost. WHAT work to maintain it? :thinking:

BTW I like unity, so I would have kept that.
It's not my cup of coffee. :)

System 76 has some nice computers. But I still think that they need to step up material quality.
Can you explain a bit? I see nothing inferior at all in my new laptop.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Windows I always thought was the one you had to work to maintain, antivirus scanning, defragging, maintaining the registry, cleaning out stuff that didn't uninstall cleanly or properly etc. In fact there's a whole third-party industry, many companies, who's entire business is Windows maintenance and servicing products, e.g. Norton and McAfee.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
Windows I always thought was the one you had to work to maintain, antivirus scanning, defragging, maintaining the registry, cleaning out stuff that didn't uninstall cleanly or properly etc. In fact there's a whole third-party industry, many companies, who's entire business is Windows maintenance and servicing products, e.g. Norton and McAfee.
This ^.

Upvote 0
I stopped using a system which made me pull my hair out. Why go back? If obviously didn't fit.

As for the issue I had with OpenSUSE it was my fault. Expecting mainstream games to run on Linux well is still a fantasy. When it comes down to it a laptop is just a portal (see what I did there) to the Internet outside home. At home I use tablets. I don't use laptops at home. The same game runs on Playstation 3, Xbox, and OS X so it's not like I'm forced to use windows.

OpenSUSE doesn't have to play Portal 2. It just has to run the apps I use when I'm out. It was my fault for attempting the game to run. In the end I crashed the system. But that distro unlike Ubuntu didn't make me pull my hair out.

I use what works. If something pisses me off I stop and find something else. I started using Android and mainly Samsung's version of it after seeing iOS 7 installed on my iPhone and iPad. Perhaps I should go back to Apple as I didn't give iOS 7 a chance, eh? No. Just no.

Upvote 0
What if I'm happy with the way things are now? Why this insistence that Ubuntu is the best thing and I should relive it's horrors?

My Samsung devices don't give me fits like the rest. I love Samsung and their take on Android. No problems with my Note 10.1 or Note 3 at all.

That's not my opinion, I don't use Ubuntu, :) I did try it though but found it didn't suit my uses, but no horrors though. Real horrors IMO is using Windows in China. I use Linux Mint, along with Android and Mac OS X. Last time I needed Windows for something, was to do the initial root and custom recovery on my Oppo phone, but that was four months ago and it was the easiest guaranteed way to do it. It's now self supporting and doesn't need a PC at all, to do anything with it. The Samsung Win dual-SIM phone I bought last year, requires Windows and Samsung Kies to update it even though I rooted it, because Samsung doesn't do OTA updates for this particular phone, so I never bothered.

Use what suits you and best tools for the job I think. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
What if I'm happy with the way things are now? Why this insistence that Ubuntu is the best thing and I should relive its horrors?
If you're happy with what you're using, great! There is no insistence on anyone's part--including mine--that *buntu is best and you should be using it. My whole point, all along, has been that *I* have never seen any of the horrors with Kubuntu that seem to plague you with any *buntu. That's it. I freely recommend other Linux distros not only here but on other forums and newsgroups. Bodhi, for example, which is a fine, lightweight distro for older/slower hardware. I personally like to check out other distros from time to time, just for the hell of it. True, I always go back to Kubuntu, because that's what works best for me. I love its infinite customization possibilities, and its seamless integration with everything I use or need to do--from Nikon DSLR cameras to HP all-in-one printers, it just works.

If I've given the impression that I'm a "*buntu MUST WORK for everyone, damn it!" person, sorry. That's actually not how I feel, and I think scanning back over old posts where I've recommended other distros would back that up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones