• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My new LG G7 ThinQ has a TV app on it

ramsbottom

Apr 4, 2011
This phones was obviously from Korea but is brand new, brought on ebay

But it has a TV app that scans for channels and asks me to connect my headphones in the same ways as the FM radio

Doesn't pick anything up though, I assume its tuned to Korean TV wave-lengths.

Would this be hard-coded on to the chip or is it possible to change these values in another LG app or TV app

Never heard of such a thing in my life

This phones was obviously from Korea but is brand new, brought on ebay

But it has a TV app that scans for channels and asks me to connect my headphones in the same ways as the FM radio

Doesn't pick anything up though, I assume its tuned to Korean TV wave-lengths.

Would this be hard-coded on to the chip or is it possible to change these values in another LG app or TV app

Never heard of such a thing in my life

It's for receiving DMB(Digital Multimedia Broadcasting) on VHF and UHF, only used in South Korea and China AFAIK. And it does use the headphone cable plugged in as an antenna, similar to FM radio. Some older phones actually had a telescopic antenna for receiving it. I suspect it is hard coded into the SoC, like FM radio, and if it can be changed by firmware or not, no idea. There are other TV apps, but they usually stream via the internet, e.g. Hulu, iPlayer, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones