• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My new S2 acts very strangely

First off, let me preface this by saying I'm cursed to have weird and/or bad phones. Every one I've owned has done strange and annoying things. I did a bit of research on the S2 before I bought it and saw that it was very acclaimed and reliable. I bought the phone about two or three months ago, hoping to finally have a super awesome one that I didn't have any problems with.

So here are my problems with it. For one, a lot of times, I just won't ever receive picture messages from people. Second, the phone will randomly stop receiving and sending text messages, won't make calls, or really do anything until I give it a restart. Third, and probably most annoyingly, it will randomly change all of my alarm ringtones and specific ringtones set up for individual contacts back to their defaults. Usually this happens when the phone derps and I have to restart it, but it also happens for absolutely no reason. Fourth, the camera more often than not just won't work. The app will start, but none of the options load and it simply displays what the camera is seeing. The phone will pretty much freeze and lag horrifically as I'm trying to exit, and the only way I've found that stops it momentarily is to keep starting and quitting.

I don't know if I have super faulty hardware and need to get it replaced (I don't even know what the warranty is on this thing), or if there's some kind of firmware or software update I don't have that I also don't know exists, but this stuff has been bugging me for a long time and I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Its not you, it's the phone. I am having the same exact problems (camera has lag) with my S2. The problems started shortly after updating to 4.1.2. EVERYTHING lags now: keyboard, apps, camera, browsing. I tried restarting the phone, turning it off, removing battery and sim to no avail.

I don't think Samsung is going to put out more updates to fix our problems either. Their "fix" is buying a new phone; which seems to be the reason why they are releasing new phones every six months to a year. I do not have the money to keep up with Samsung, but this phone is on its last leg.

Hope you find a way to fix your phone. I've tried everything (except rooting) so if you figure it out please post it.

Upvote 0
Its not you, it's the phone. I am having the same exact problems (camera has lag) with my S2. The problems started shortly after updating to 4.1.2. EVERYTHING lags now: keyboard, apps, camera, browsing. I tried restarting the phone, turning it off, removing battery and sim to no avail.

I don't think Samsung is going to put out more updates to fix our problems either. Their "fix" is buying a new phone; which seems to be the reason why they are releasing new phones every six months to a year. I do not have the money to keep up with Samsung, but this phone is on its last leg.

Hope you find a way to fix your phone. I've tried everything (except rooting) so if you figure it out please post it.
Back up your phone then do a factory reset. After updates 50% of phones need it. That should fix it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones