• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Next Smartphone????

If you get an Incredible will you be able to return it? I forget how the contract works in that instance...

Here are some reasons to get an iPhone:

- a little bit better screen res (though your blacks probably won't be true black and color might be less vivid.)
- thinner
- you'll probably get better battery life out of the box

Reasons to get an Incredible:

- Probably faster processing once Android 2.2 is available
- replacable and expandable batter, up to 3500mAh soon, though that particular battery is thick.
- screen ratio is 16x9, not really better but I think it is logical.
- microSD allows removable memory, expandable to 40gb
- actually gets service
- great camera, probably with 720p eventually since I think the nexus one has it now.
- Android means you're a capable person who doesn't need to have his options limited just so a product can seem intuitive. Completely customizable in every way with an open source OS. Every iPhone user that's seen my phone has been noticeably jealous of the customization implemented, not just backgrounds, but widgets, seven homescreens, icons layed out like I want, etc... and that's completely stock. Never before have I had an operating system that was practical for me (unlike Linux, unfortunately), a joy to use (unlike Windows, unfortunately), and open and without paternalism (unlike Apple, unfortunately). I'm happy to be able to change settings, batteries, memory, upload roms based on the same open source OS (eventually), and have it all on an easy and fun device that is also popular enough (Android and the Incredible, that is) to have massive support with apps, hacks, and accessories. And I get service because the companies that made my phone aren't dead set on selling everything for so much above cost that they will only put their goods on the most stingy networks around.

This was all written from my Incredible, btw. Choose the device you like. In the end they accomplish most of the same functions. It's just a question of your ability with computers and preferences as to which companies you want to deal with. And with the iPhone you can have special, exclusive video calls just with other iPhone users! Hahahahaha

Upvote 0
Since buying the Incredible, I try to get every iPhone user I come in contact with to do a speed test against my phone and to compare networks. The Incredible is obviously faster than the iPhone with a faster processor. Even if you were to buy the iPhone v4, Verizon's network will still be faster than ATT. I have yet to find someone who can beat me in a speed test.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't wait for the Droid X unless you want a beast of a phone. The thing makes the EVO look small. (Okay, slight exaggeration, but you get my point.)

Honestly, almost everyone I know who has AT&T gets dropped calls, poor connections, and poor 3G coverage. Keep in mind, most people I know live in rather large cities where the coverage should be good. I finally convinced a few people to switch from AT&T to Verizon, and no one has ever looked back.

The iPhone 4 will be a great phone, but not so great it's worth choosing over the Incredible, which is an amazing phone in its own right.

Personally, I'd jump on the Incredible now, unless you want either a physical keyboard or a larger screen, and hold off for either of the new Motos on the way.

Upvote 0
People suggesting to wait for the Droid X?

Ummmmmmm y? First off specs aside that phone is disgusting looking in terms of both form and function.

Because it's an option?

One of the reasons Android is succeeding is it's variety in devices. If you want an iPhone, you can only buy the single iPhone. Your options include paying out the wazoo for more internal memory on the device.

If you want an Android phone with a big screen, you can get a Dell Streak. If you want a more standard sized phone, you can get a Nexus One (or one of it's sister devices.) If you want a phone with a slide out keyboard, you can get a Moto Droid.

It's a good thing to show off to potential new members of the community.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones