• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Nexus 7 (2013) just died

Joon525

Dec 10, 2009
I came home from work and was on it for about 20 minutes when all of a sudden the screen went black. I tried to power it back on and nothing happened.
I tried the following:
  1. Holding down the power button for a long time
  2. Holding down the power button with volume down for a long time
  3. Holding down the power and both volume buttons for a long time
None of that worked.
I do not remember how full the battery was at the time so I'll entertain the thought that it was SO low that it needs to be charging and left alone for a bit.

Currently it is charging with the power brick and USB cable that came with it.

I saw this thread: http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/748543-my-gen-1-nexus-7-wont-turn.html but thought that I would create one specifically for the 2013 model.

I'm going to let it sit overnight and I'll try again in the morning but if it's still dead then I guess the next step is to call Google or Asus. From some searching it sounds like I'll end up at Asus one way or another.

Anyone else have anything to add?
By the way I have not rooted it and it has never been dropped or mishandled.

Edit: 8/26/2013
I got a new replacement today.
Cliffs notes are as follows:
  1. August 6: Tried to turn on the tablet but nothing worked.
  2. August 7: Called Asus and ran through the typical procedures you'd expect from customer service.
  3. August 10: Sent out the unit to Asus in TX after getting an email that had a Fedex shipping label attached.
  4. August 13: The unit arrives in TX and Asus begins testing.
  5. August 19: I recieve an email from Asus stating that my RMA is done being handled and a shipment is scheduled to be sent out to me that day.
  6. August 26: I receive a brand new unit.

Scroll down to post #16 for more information.

I called Asus and they emailed me all the RMA information and a label to send it to them via FedEx. So far this experience with them has been pretty good. The guy on the line did have to walk me through the formality of a hard reset but I went along with it anyway.
They said it takes about a week for turnaround time. I'll send it out either Friday or Saturday and see how it goes.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I called Asus and they emailed me all the RMA information and a label to send it to them via FedEx. So far this experience with them has been pretty good. The guy on the line did have to walk me through the formality of a hard reset but I went along with it anyway.
They said it takes about a week for turnaround time. I'll send it out either Friday or Saturday and see how it goes.

That's great to hear (on multiple fronts!) :) :thumbup:.

Upvote 0
my screen just over night cracked,i plugged it in and hooked up to headphones and went to bed,woke up,tried to swipe to the right ,wouldnt,then i noticed the lil crack,called assus,sent it in with pics,detailed letter,they replaced it and sent it back in about aweek,id recommend pics,detailed story,i told them that there is not a perfect product out,theres always a defect in something,but long story short,saved me 200+ dollars!!!!! ps pay the extra bucks for the extra warranty,i didnt cause gamestop lil lady told me it came with a warranty,to find out if i did do anything to my nexus,id be liable,so pay the extra dollars,its worth it in the long run,i was stressing,it was 40days to b exact wen the screen cracked,so i took a big chance,i wouldnt do that again!!!!!! thanks gamestop lol

Upvote 0
I just got my N7.2 last week - haven't used it much. The other day I went to turn it on and it just hung on the Google Logo. I was somehow able to power it down but when I restarted it, everything started to crash.

I did a factory reset on it and all seemed okay....but now more crashing.

Faulty hardware?

Had you installed any new software on it just prior to the issues?

By crashing, do you mean force-closes?

I suppose a loose connection somewhere (i.e., hardware issue) might manifest itself in this way...:dontknow:

Upvote 0
This happened to me shortly after installing OTA Android 4.3. And then also installed Dashclock widjet from Play Store (and set to DayDream, with all default options). Things seems to work fine. After several hours, turned it off for the night, but left it attached to charger. Next morning the new N7.2 would not power up. Tried all of the above suggestions, and called Google Help and did their suggestions, all to no avail.

Upvote 0
This happened to me shortly after installing OTA Android 4.3. And then also installed Dashclock widjet from Play Store (and set to DayDream, with all default options). Things seems to work fine. After several hours, turned it off for the night, but left it attached to charger. Next morning the new N7.2 would not power up. Tried all of the above suggestions, and called Google Help and did their suggestions, all to no avail.

Welcome to our AndroidForums, hcgoldwire.

Sorry to hear this :(...sounds like maybe your best bet will be contact Asus for a warranty replacement.

Best of luck and let us know!

Upvote 0
Well I just got notification that something is on its way back to me.
I say "something" because I shipped my N7 to Texas but the shipment that's coming to me is from California. I'm going to doubt that they sent my unit from TX to CA so I'll guess that I may be getting a brand new one?
I'll find out when the package arrives on Monday.

I'll summarize this whole experience so all the information is in one post when it concludes.

Upvote 0
Well I got the package from Asus today.
They did send me a brand new one.

Here's a summary:
  1. August 6: Tried to turn on the tablet but nothing worked.
  2. August 7: Called Asus and ran through the typical procedures you'd expect from customer service.
  3. August 10: Sent out the unit to Asus in TX after getting an email that had a Fedex shipping label attached.
  4. August 13: The unit arrives in TX and Asus begins testing.
  5. August 19: I recieve an email from Asus stating that my RMA is done being handled and a shipment is scheduled to be sent out to me that day.
  6. August 26: I receive a brand new unit.

They didn't tell me what was wrong with the unit. They also didn't tell me if I was getting it repaired or replaced but when I saw that the shipment being sent to me was originating from CA and NOT TX I had the feeling it was a replacement.

If anyone else comes across the need for assistance I recommend going straight to Asus.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones