• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Nexus 7 battery seems to drain quickly.

Mine was draining the battery crazy fast, like 30% a day without using it. On my old Nexus 7 I put a wifi widget on the screen to turn off the wifi when not in use and it fixed that one. But the same solution did not work on the new one. Then I started looking at apps that may want to try and ping the internet and I saw that Hangouts was logged in automatically when I first logged into the device, but I never use that. So, I logged out of it and now I don't even lose about 2% a day when not in use.

The battery stats stated that "mediaserver" was the culprit, however that doesn't really narrow it down very much.

Chris...

Upvote 0
Go into settings/accounts/Google and see what's being synced. I have nothing checked there. Any weather apps to sync once an hour only during the day. Turn off location serves (or at most just check GPS). I disabled Google+, Hangouts, Currents, Email, Gallery, Gmail, Books, Magazines, Movies, and Picasa Uploader (don't use any of them).

My biggest issue was it was getting dirt slow. I rooted the other day (same as factory reset, but also getting root)... and installed Lagfix. Speeds up everything! Just don't use Forever Gone, it really slowed things down.

If your usage is high, you still won't get more than a day, but with low to no usage you should get 2 or 3 days.

Upvote 0
I'm getting this same issue. Last night my battery was at like 65% and after I got home from work today after sitting on my couch all day was at 12%.

I checked the battery usage thing and it said that system idle took 17% of the battery life @ 1 day and 4 hours of idle.

Any ideas? I was hoping the battery life would be similar to the iPad mini at least. Screen brightness is at like 30%.

I just signed out of Hangouts so lets see how that goes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones