1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My Note has arrived!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ifb-online, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ifb-online

ifb-online Android Enthusiast

I have had my Note for a few hours no - probably downloaded more apps than on my Archos 80 G9 ICS tablet and my old HTC Desire (which my daughter has claimed) combined - everything is really fast.

I think Touch-Wiz is not bad, even though I'm used to HTC Sense. I'm not noticing any lag or poor animation of graphical actions that others have commented on. The screen is every bit as good as I hoped and the sound quality is better than my Desire which has be said is a little tinny. I have had a brief play with the S-Pen; I read it is actually Wacom technology, which explains why it's pressure-sensitive, so that's excellent news.

I do miss the auto text reflow feature in the HTC browser - double tapping just zooms out the display. Is it possible with the stock browser?

Still learning, but overall impressions are excellent so far!

Ian

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SteveH0773

SteveH0773 Newbie

Glad you enjoying the Note! I came from a Desire too, and I like Touch-Wiz just as much as Sense. One thing I didn't really get along with is the default keyboard... Having to move to the symbol layout for punctuation was a pain but I downloaded a different keyboard and problem fixed!

3. ifb-online

I'm a long time Swype user on the Desire so simply enabled that (it's pre-installed) and I was at home instantly :)

Ian

SteveH0773 likes this.
  4. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

I had the same annoyance with the keyboard, but if you turn on Swype, the symbols are there already like the sense keyboard. You can still use it as a normal keyboard if you don't like Swype.

5. SteveH0773

SteveH0773 Newbie

Thanks guys, I'm still on the trial of the keyboard so I'll give Swype a go too before I make my final decision!

Steve

6. spinaltapMD

spinaltapMD Newbie

i'm a Swype convert too! awesome,awesome...

7. ifb-online

I am testing some smartphones for my photography website (DPNow.com) at the moment and it's interesting to compare the design and build of each phone. The Nokia Lumia 800 with its single piece polycarbonate shell and moulded gorilla glass screen looks almost indestructable (which is trait that I seem a lot in Nokia phones), but it's quite 'dense' so it feels heavy. The iPhone 4 is small and angular, with sharp-ish ridges. It feels very solid but all that glass on both sides of the body makes me nervous about it getting smashed. The screen is also rather small and it feels heavy too. I have a Sony-Ericsson Xperia Arc S too - very light, very high quality scratch-resistant finish, the largest of the phones I'm evaluating, big screen, but it's let down by a creaking body and I'm always getting confused which way up it should be :)

I know the Note is not in the same category as these smartphones, but I think it is relatively fragile and the huge screen looks vulnerable. It's remarkably light and nothing creaks and the metallic-skinned sides improve the feeling of confidence about the construction, but I think the Note demands a protective case whereas the Xperia Arc S or the Nokia Lumia 800 I would not worry that much.

Ian

8. mad_max

mad_max Lurker

About the browser, you can try go to the settings of the browser and check the "Auto-fit pages" option. Now it should work as you want it, of course if I correctly understood what you want.

9. ifb-online

Thanks, but on my old HTC Desire the browser would reflow the text immediately after any rate of zoomed view so that the text was never off the sides :)

Ian

10. zc1

zc1 Well-Known Member

You might want to give Opera Mobile a try. It auto-reflows text.

Samsung Galaxy Note Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note release date was January 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 2500mAh battery.

January 2012
Release Date
Reviews