• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My opinion about HTC Desire.

The homophobic language just gives it that extra touch of sophistication. Reminescent of fourteen-year-old boys screaming into XBox Live when they lose a match. Endearing. The subliterate, badly-written vitriol you linked isn't going to be taken seriously by anyone, you know that, right?

You get 24 hours of battery life? That's plenty for a high-end smartphone. Perhaps you should've gotten a Nokia dumbphone instead; not only do the batteries last forever, they'd better suit your user level.

"Warning: contains applications that drains your battery faster, uses memory, uses precious space, and can not be shut down, nor removed". That might be against laws in Denmark.

Background processes don't generally drain the battery, chump.

Upvote 0
I knew they were similar, not that they were the same.

Aight, I shall remember that, when I re-root it when my stress level has gone down.

Okay, I will say this one more time. I can NOT remove ANYTHING from the phone that is there from the start. Applications I install, can be removed, NOTHING else. I have no idea what special Desire you seem to have, but the ones on the market in Denmark does NOT allow this. Those are the prison models.

Seriously, don't you think I have tried to delete the applications? Can not be done.

And how the hell you have so much battery left is beyond me. If I play some game, for an hour, that uses AROUND 20-30% of the battery.

If I just browse the internet on my phone it takes ca. 20-30% for an hour of browsing.

If you're losing that much battery an hour then this proves its either something YOU'VE installed or the way YOU'VE set your phone up!

There are enough threads here to help you sort it and find the culprit.

Upvote 0
By using HTC's "mobile" widget and turning it off unless I need it, my battery lasts a good couple of days, at least. That includes evenings when wifi and auto synch is on.

The Desire is, I believe, the most successful Android phone released to date so if it was a bug riddled phone the OP believes it is then I think we'd have seen plenty of criticism of it on websites and the wider media. Funnily enough that's not the case and many tech sites rate the Desire higher than the iPhone4

I love my phone, I can't wait for 2.2, but even with 2.1 it's a stunning piece of kit.

As far as Apps are concerned, I don't use a battery indicator or a task killer (neither are necessary) and I only keep apps I actually use. It's very easy to stick a load of fun apps on then find you never use them even though they are taking up space!

Keep it simple is my rule.

It's a sad sign of the times that anyone who has an issue with a modern device feels the need to sue or complain that they weren't made aware of something, etc. Sorry, but sometimes the problem lies with the user, not the device or manufacturer.

Reactions: mobileman
Upvote 0
Lol such a poorly written letter, destined to get the focus it deserves.
Go get an iphone 4..enjoy your free bumper.

Can you please scroll up to the point where I say I hate Apple, and would never own an Apple product? Since you have nothing constructive to say you should not have said anything. Besides my native language is NOT english, so I think I did quite okay. If you do not agree, you could have said it in a more constructive matter.

So here is my answer to you: grop up, and accept the fact that not all people on earth has a perfect english like you have, apparently.

The homophobic language just gives it that extra touch of sophistication. Reminescent of fourteen-year-old boys screaming into XBox Live when they lose a match. Endearing. The subliterate, badly-written vitriol you linked isn't going to be taken seriously by anyone, you know that, right?

You get 24 hours of battery life? That's plenty for a high-end smartphone. Perhaps you should've gotten a Nokia dumbphone instead; not only do the batteries last forever, they'd better suit your user level.

Background processes don't generally drain the battery, chump.

24 hours is not alot if I compare it to what other people archive.

By using HTC's "mobile" widget and turning it off unless I need it, my battery lasts a good couple of days, at least. That includes evenings when wifi and auto synch is on.

The Desire is, I believe, the most successful Android phone released to date so if it was a bug riddled phone the OP believes it is then I think we'd have seen plenty of criticism of it on websites and the wider media. Funnily enough that's not the case and many tech sites rate the Desire higher than the iPhone4

I love my phone, I can't wait for 2.2, but even with 2.1 it's a stunning piece of kit.

As far as Apps are concerned, I don't use a battery indicator or a task killer (neither are necessary) and I only keep apps I actually use. It's very easy to stick a load of fun apps on then find you never use them even though they are taking up space!

Keep it simple is my rule.

It's a sad sign of the times that anyone who has an issue with a modern device feels the need to sue or complain that they weren't made aware of something, etc. Sorry, but sometimes the problem lies with the user, not the device or manufacturer.

So the fact that you can not remove ANYTHING from the phone does not annoy you? It has 30 proceses running right now per default. Why must that be running all the time? Anyway, it does not seem anyone is willing to see it from my side.

To all of you. Nevermind about this thread. 80% of you all are just to infintile to actually see this thread as it is. I have a different opinion on the HTC Desire, is that not allowed? Apprently not. I was just trying to share my experience with it, how was that taken? Get an iPhone? What the hell? People... I have linux on my laptop, I am used to linux, but frankly, what is on android has NOTHING to do with linux. There is no freedom of choice, that I have grown accustomed to.

Whatever... I will not be checking these forums again for an answer. If people are so childish that the only thing they can muster saying is "Get an iphone" after what has been said, I have nothing left to say.

I do however want to thank those who actually took my post serious: celticone, partridge and half what nx1977 wrote.

Plus, now I see one of those children has rated this thread the lowest possible, is that how different opinions are treated in here? Nice that I found out before I got more posts in here, and spent my time in here.

Upvote 0
24 hours is not alot if I compare it to what other people archive.

Okay? A lot of "other people" have rooted their Desires and are probably running undervolted kernels, which with some thought and consideration can provide quite a bit of battery life.

So the fact that you can not remove ANYTHING from the phone does not annoy you? It has 30 proceses running right now per default. Why must that be running all the time? Anyway, it does not seem anyone is willing to see it from my side.

Because we know how Android works? Google engineers have explained the OS' memory management (processes running in the background do not use CPU cycles and therefore no battery). Killing tasks accomplish nothing. Many processes need to be on to listen for updates/push e-mails/widget updates. You seem to think more like a Windows user, if anything, and this is coming from a Windows user.

There is no freedom of choice, that I have grown accustomed to.

That'd be because you have root access on your Linux box, which isn't available on the Desire unless you, uh, root. Duh.

Upvote 0
He does have a point but has gone about it in completely the wrong way and with a potty mouth to boot.

The best thing HTC could do to avoid this is to have ALL their add on widgets downloadable like the notepad or dice apps.

This would mean that if people want it then its there and if not then they can leave it.

Simples!

This thread has brightened up my day though :D

Upvote 0
I had a SE C905 with game demo's which I never played but couldn't delete.

I think it is fair that the owner should be able to remove non essential apps that they don't want and that an option should be available, may be a direct link to HTC, to reload them if you change your mind.

I remember when PC's used to come so loaded with software that you would spend the first hour using it just deleting them all, phone manufacturers take note!

So, I do appreciate the point of the OP and perhaps the responses here should have been a little more sympathetic to his view on these pre-loaded apps.

Upvote 0
Anteus in response to your question how to run the phone effectively follow the steps below I wrote elsewhere concerning the use of an app killer:

StuBlake13 said:
Apps like that will run trust me remove the task killer, if you use a friend stream widget peep will run as it is linked into the program. The only apps you need to worry about are those that you find here:

Settings>Applications>Running Services it is these apps that are using your battery and CPU/Memory and the ones you should be concerned about as they have been coded with a high priority for system resource use. Remove your app killer and open your non native/non google apps (aka the ones you have downloaded from the market and you must also remove any home screen widgets as this will continue to keep the app open regardless) and return to your home screen via the back key. Then open the running services window as mentioned above. Any apps showing here are using system resources when they should not and are badly coded so as not to return to a low priority state in the background. These apps should be removed.

This test should be done for every app you download so as to ensure the system can manage the memory properly without some misguided line of code that maintains cpu/memory/battery usage when it is not required.

App Killers go to great lengths to show you all apps regardless of their current state as Background/Low Priority or constantly on high priority coded apps and it will not differentiate the two whereas Android can and will manage resources appropriately on the fly.

Follow the above. The only thing you should then have running on a regular basis are those such as power control widgets and battery/memory monitoring widgets along with a couple of others. These will not drain your battery. I can quite easily spend the whole day with regular use of data/wifi, taking videos between 5-10mins long, around 50 or so pictures, 20-30minutes of phone calls, loads of texts, a couple of hours of listening to my MP3s, and around an hours worth of emulator gaming.

I DO NOT have a TaskKiller/AppKiller whatsoever, what I do use though are the Extended Controls widgets and have dedicated an entire homescreen to power management.

Upvote 0
He does have a point but has gone about it in completely the wrong way and with a potty mouth to boot.

The best thing HTC could do to avoid this is to have ALL their add on widgets downloadable like the notepad or dice apps.

This would mean that if people want it then its there and if not then they can leave it.

Simples!

This thread has brightened up my day though :D

THANK YOU! Nice to see I am not alone.

Anteus in response to your question how to run the phone effectively follow the steps below I wrote elsewhere concerning the use of an app killer:

Follow the above. The only thing you should then have running on a regular basis are those such as power control widgets and battery/memory monitoring widgets along with a couple of others. These will not drain your battery. I can quite easily spend the whole day with regular use of data/wifi, taking videos between 5-10mins long, around 50 or so pictures, 20-30minutes of phone calls, loads of texts, a couple of hours of listening to my MP3s, and around an hours worth of emulator gaming.

I DO NOT have a TaskKiller/AppKiller whatsoever, what I do use though are the Extended Controls widgets and have dedicated an entire homescreen to power management.

Huh... strange. I have the twitter widget (I know), but for some reason, that does not appear in "running services". So it does not use any power? How is that possible. It has to check for new tweets?

FYI, I have at this point: ObexService (standard htc sync software i suspect), ConnectivityService (Also HTC), GTalkService, Touch Input, ONTV, TV2 News widget, Data Counter Widget, Batterytimewidget, Lookout, handy backup for android.

Perhaps I should run that over, and check what is not nescesary.

Upvote 0
Huh... strange. I have the twitter widget (I know), but for some reason, that does not appear in "running services". So it does not use any power? How is that possible. It has to check for new tweets?

FYI, I have at this point: ObexService (standard htc sync software i suspect), ConnectivityService (Also HTC), GTalkService, Touch Input, ONTV, TV2 News widget, Data Counter Widget, Batterytimewidget, Lookout, handy backup for android.

Perhaps I should run that over, and check what is not nescesary.

The Twitter widget will use very little power. You have however hit the nail on what does, the synchronising. Everytime it checks for new tweets it will use power. (Data being the biggest juice drinker.) Stating that it checks for tweets in the way you have infers that you have data set constantly on. This will hammer your battery and should be controlled on a need to use basis with the settings widgets provided by HTC at the very least.

I also imagine Handy Backup will munch battery depending on how regularly thats set to copy your data to your memory card.

That said one of your majpor gripes was software you cannot get rid of and other than the obex, Connectivity and GTalk every single running service there can be removed. So again I can't understand the argument??

Upvote 0
The Twitter widget will use very little power. You have however hit the nail on what does, the synchronising. Everytime it checks for new tweets it will use power. (Data being the biggest juice drinker.) Stating that it checks for tweets in the way you have infers that you have data set constantly on. This will hammer your battery and should be controlled on a need to use basis with the settings widgets provided by HTC at the very least.

I also imagine Handy Backup will munch battery depending on how regularly thats set to copy your data to your memory card.

That said one of your majpor gripes was software you cannot get rid of and other than the obex, Connectivity and GTalk every single running service there can be removed. So again I can't understand the argument??

Before you wrote this post, handy backup and lookout was uninstalled.

I did not know that applications HAD to be under running applications. I thought it was the same as what I see under running processes in androidmate. APPARENTLY that is not the same. I did not know that. And I apologize for that. running services <-> running processes are the same in my world.

EDIT: I have 3g on all the time, and when bigger broadband is required I hook it up on my wifi.

Does 3g suck much power?

The news app is your issue.

That will be deleted.

Upvote 0
that's probably because the link to your letter has been removed.

if you removed the link, i have to ask why. you should be true to yourself and stand up for what you believe.

in short.....grow a pair.

Try and scroll up, sir. Look at how many times I have to defend my opinions. I got tired of it. It has nothing to do with standing up to my beliefs. I just got tired of people flaming me because I think differently.

But since you did not get to read it, if you care: http://bit.ly/d0RQ0k

mate you must be doing something wrong as i can charge the phone and it will last for 2 days and maybe a third

I am jealeous :(

I have deleted a lot of apps now. Things that ran in my "running services". It is at 74% now. I will see how long it takes before it cries for the charger.

Upvote 0
Yeah, 3G uses a lot of power. WiFi uses a lot less, so if you are around a WiFi network, turn off the 3G and keep your WiFi on :)

Strange... I actually thought it was the other way around. I will keep that in mind.

It is not because I am on an impossible quest for having my phone run for a week and using it like crazy. I am realistic. I just think charging it EVERY day gets old, and should not be nescesary.

But I will run it for some time now, and see how my power consumption goes.

Upvote 0
Strange... I actually thought it was the other way around. I will keep that in mind.

It is not because I am on an impossible quest for having my phone run for a week and using it like crazy. I am realistic. I just think charging it EVERY day gets old, and should not be nescesary.

But I will run it for some time now, and see how my power consumption goes.

I have the same battery problems as you :/

I plan to buy something like this.

EDIT: Oh, and you could also try underclocking your device. If you are running Froyo, you should be able to underclock it a bit and still achieve better performance than Eclair. I haven't set this up yet, but once the bank decides to set up my new account, I'm going to get the applciation "SetCPU" and play with it a bit.

Reactions: Antaeus
Upvote 0
I have the same battery problems as you :/

I plan to buy something like this.

I understand you. If you have to charge everyday, it is not funny.

How people get to run their phone for up to 3 days is beyond me.

But somebody said they could remove fx. Facebook. I can not. So I am thinking perhaps the european model is different from the american? I do not know.

Upvote 0
Great thread!!! :D Took 10 minutes off my working day!! :p

Just one question though, didnt you research the phone before you bought it???

I'd have thought that you might have looked into the product before buying if you had such a specific list of needs!?!?

Its a bit harsh to blame the manufacturer - its not as if they advertised the Desire as a "blank canvas of a phone with months of battery life on a single charge" :thinking:

SteveP

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones