1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General My opinion: don't install Lollipop

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iben, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    It should open the phone app. Not necessarily straight to the dailer

Advertisement

2. chukka63

chukka63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2013
    Male
    General Builder
    Norfolk
    Maybe mine doesn't as I have a 3rd party dialer

3. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member
    None

Jun 23, 2012
    Male
    Texas
    That's probably why, especially if you have the stock dialer app disabled

4. JBentleyR

JBentleyR Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 3, 2014
    Male
    Retired
    Cheshire
    I have the offer of Lollipop upgrade but, due to many problems mentioned on this site, I am holding off, at least for now.

To help level the balance, may I ask what are the specific advantages or improvements with Lollipop?

5. Thatdad

Thatdad Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2013
    Male
    Direct Support Professional
    South Georgia
    It's still way in it's infancy and project Volta is definitely worth it in itself. Let's not forget ART instead of tired out Dalvik. Bugs are bound to be plentiful, so much so that Cyanogenmod won't even be ready for NIGHTLY until January I believe?

I'm not even going to expect a near perfect 5.o by March 2015.. But what we can do as a community is upgrade, see what needs to ironed out and changed, and raise our voices so those changes can be made.

6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    That's more to do with cyanogen than stock lollipop. Historically speaking they are slower than most OEM's at getting to a stable release

#31 Rxpert83, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    NYCHitman1 likes this.
  7. Thatdad

Thatdad Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2013
    Male
    Direct Support Professional
    South Georgia
    I was unaware of that..

8. xdrc45

xdrc45 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2012
    Male
    Great White, MI
    While I agree that a lot of user concern's and or problem's/bugs are present. It's still a work in progress and will only get better from here and going forward.
    It is up to to you to at least test and try out the 5.0 update as it does have many... Many changes and a different UI.
    It's at least worth the chance or opportunity to try in out personally and then make a judgment for yourself from that stand point... Instead of listening to everyone else's personal opinion. Make that descion for yourself.
    Not to go to much OT here but I've been running Dirty unicorns for quite some time and the options and customations, plus the dirty tweaks are amazing and miss those features and on 5.0 your currently very limited to what you can do.
    You also have to take into consideration that this is a completely new OS and it will take time to get these options and customizations back as Google improves to work out the future builds as well as our amazing Devs.

@@vandyman
    You should check out the Nexus 5 Candy shop thread, it works with the themer zip. I had to use the generic edify script in the threads OP for it to work.
    The tread is growing as we speak and has a lot of different navibar button icons that you can change instead of using the stock 5.0 navibar icons - http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...ndy-shop-5-0-softkey-zip-themer-mods-t2931520

Thanks to CyberScopes.

For exampme this is the navibar icons that I'm currently using instead of the 5.0 stock icons - [​IMG]

I also found a battery percentage icon for inside the battery icon, can be used with or without root. Works very well... I like the ability to see what the actual battery percentage is right in the status bar battere icon-http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...-enable-battery-percentage-android-4-t2516913

The battery percent icon works pretty well... Unless you have modified your DPI to a lower setting. But at sock 480 DPI it works very well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/goo...ndy-shop-5-0-softkey-zip-themer-mods-t2931520

Thanks to kroegerama

9. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    Male
    Colorado
    I am split on updating on my primary n5. I'm stock rooted with xposed ans have has the prompt for a few days now. I am running du on my lte n7 and would rather update it first.

10. Wrend

Wrend Member
    None

Dec 21, 2013
    Male
    Private IT Field
    Northern Illinois, USA
    I wasn't all that excited for Lollipop, but after getting the OTA updates for my Nexus 5s, installing them, and using it, I'm liking Lollipop more than KitKat now. The pros outweigh any cons so far, and no real bugs that I can tell. Maybe just some bit of tweaks left to do for Lollipop.

After updating my Nexus 5s to 5.0, I factory reset them and rerooted them without issue with the updated CF-Auto-Root kit.

I'm not really a fan of the color themes either, but the new transition animations, options, and functionality are nice. Overall, I think the update is well worth it and that most people will see it as an improvement.

In particular, I like the new background app. manager (whatever that's called) and pinning apps to the screen and having a password requirement to get back to the home screen; I use a numerical pattern as my password, and now when booting up the unencrypt entry requirement screen has a number pad, which makes entering in my number pattern much easier; the different user options are pretty nice too to set up a new local account, for example, for my wife so that she has her own home screen to use, et cetera.

After using 5.0 personally, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

#35 Wrend, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  11. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    Lollipop is a first iteration. Like Windows, Android first iterations are a bit of an adventure, sometimes good, sometimes bad. I skipped ICS and squeezed an extra year of life out of my Nexus One on a very stable and full featured Gingerbread ROM and didn't move on until the JellyBean refinements of Android 4 and saved myself a bit of grief. This time, though, I have gone ahead with the upgrade and I actually like it more than I thought. I have set it up to be as close to possible to my Kit Kat setup (which you can get pretty close) and am now exploring differences. It is tempting to go back to my full featured and stable KitKat ROM, but I have decided I will stay with this so that when my favorite ROM releases a Lollipop version, I will know Lollipop well enough to understand what they have added.

I enjoy poking around in new things with Android a bit more than I used to, in part because I know a little more, it gets easier and I've learned not to panic when things go sideways-- there's always someone here to help out. ;)

In your case, while there aren't huge new capabilities that might motivate you to update, you aren't really going to lose anything either. A little learning curve because a few things are different, but mostly it's business as usual with a new UI which you may love or hate, but will eventually be pushed to anyway. Run it the way yoou run KitKat, like me, and explore new capabilities only when you need/want to.

This is part of why we love Nexuses, right.. early updates, holes and all. :D

Tags: