• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My (optomistic) opinion on the Passion/Bravo/NexusOne debacle...

dak244

Nov 3, 2009
So I have been following this whole mess of Android devices for a while now. I patiently watched the Droid and Eris be released in hopes of the famed Passion. Now with the release of the T-Mo spec sheet and the "Google" NexusOne, it has thrown quite a curve ball. So I am here to speculate a little more on what I think will come out of this whole mess.

First, I must say that my post is ENTIRELY my thoughts and opinions and is based on no facts at all other than what has been read from our good friends at Phandroid/BGR/Engadget/Insert Smartphone Blog Here.

Secondly, this all may be boring, old news to you but I just really wanted to put it all down on "paper". Maybe that will help reduce the amount it consumes me on a day-to-day basis, I don't know.

Based on all of this, this is what I believe:

1) HTC manufactured the NexusOne, which was largely directed by Google, under the code name "Passion". This phone will be released early in Q1 2010 for GSM.

2) When codenames were released, it also mentioned the "PassionC", which I believe is essentially a CDMA version of the phone (OPTOMISTICALLY!). Although reports say that Verizon didn't want to work with Google on the phone, I believe there is still a CDMA version in development. I can't comment on whether it will be Verizon or Sprint (not
likely), but I feel like they wouldn't want to miss out on a 100+ million base of subscribers/potential customers IF the original NexusOne takes to a good liking.

3) HTC is manufacturing the "Bravo" completely separate from anything Passion or NexusOne related. I could go back and forth about when, for whom, and where it will be released, but I just don't have any idea yet. Obviously it will be released GSM in Europe in April, but whether or not it will make it stateside to CDMA prior to that, I'm just not sure (BUT AM
STILL OPTOMISTIC).

With all that being said, that is basically just a rant to get everything off my chest. I am just a current and continued Verizon customer who is looking for the newest, fastest, thinnest, biggest screened, most top of the line, best in class Smartphone (aren't we all---we'll maybe not all Verizon based at least).

Everything you have posted is as effective to bringing more knowledge about the new phones as if I said the toothfairy will bring the Passion on a shiny platter to anyone who wishes it.

I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I wasn't trying to "bring more knowledge to the subject", but rather putting down MY THOUGHTS/OPINION I have had based on the information I have read over the past few months.

Upvote 0
at this point im starting to give up hope a bit and shifting my attention to maybe a Palm Pre. If I had to choose between an Eris and a Pre I would choose the Pre all day. Hopefully it will come to Verizon with a few added features like autofocus and a 5MP cam.

We all know that eventually HTC will bring something to Verizon that fits exactly what we are looking for. Whether its the Nexus One, the Bravo, the Passion, or something totally different. We know something better will eventually come, however, I'm starting to worry that it wont be soon enough for me. I can only stand this Dare for a bit longer, so I think I may grab the Pre in January on a one year contract to "get me by" until HTC releases the phone I really want. Call it a stop gap measure.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I wasn't trying to "bring more knowledge to the subject", but rather putting down MY THOUGHTS/OPINION I have had based on the information I have read over the past few months.

This is not a slam on your post, so please don't take it that way. Actually, I think you fall into category 3.

You basically have four kinds of people talking about phone releases:

1. People who "rumorize" the release of a phone with no facts, and build subsequent "factual" rumors off of the original "rumors", then talk about all the "rumors" as if they really know what is going on. These folks are part of the

Upvote 0
This is not a slam on your post, so please don't take it that way. Actually, I think you fall into category 3.

1. People who "rumorize" the release of a phone with no facts, and build subsequent "factual" rumors off of the original "rumors", then talk about all the "rumors" as if they really know what is going on. These folks are part of the

Upvote 0

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
Going to throw my two cents in here: I too am (not-so) patiently awaiting the release of the Passion (or Bravo or whatever). I tried the Droid for a week and was totally disappointed. It Doesn't! I am currently back to my Storm but I miss the OS and the faster Internet that comes with an open-architecture network (BB is closed network, thus no security issues and the number one reason our government uses BB exclusively).

Do I continue to wait for the unicorn that is the Passion or do I bite the bullet and get the Eris? It will be getting 2.0 (and maybe even 2.1) sometime in the first quarter of 2010. Decisions...

Upvote 0
Going to throw my two cents in here: I too am (not-so) patiently awaiting the release of the Passion (or Bravo or whatever). I tried the Droid for a week and was totally disappointed. It Doesn't! I am currently back to my Storm but I miss the OS and the faster Internet that comes with an open-architecture network (BB is closed network, thus no security issues and the number one reason our government uses BB exclusively).

Do I continue to wait for the unicorn that is the Passion or do I bite the bullet and get the Eris? It will be getting 2.0 (and maybe even 2.1) sometime in the first quarter of 2010. Decisions...

I'm currently exploring getting the Eris w/o contract. Risky, I know. My price point is ~$250 but most seem to be going around $300 on ebay. Bottom line is I'm not burning my NE2 or even tying myself down for 10 months with a long term contract on the Eris. I'm guessing the Passion/Bravo/Incredible, whatever they end up calling it, will be in the realm of Droid pricing full retail ($600?), but will probably still be $199 w/ contract. My goal will be to sorta "lease" the Eris in the sense that I can flip it on Ebay to recoup some cost. Bottom line, I'm willing to eat $100-$150 out of pocket to get an interim phone. This is coming from someone with a razr pushing 4 years old. How patient have I been? I'm starting to lose it. (And my patience too... ;))

Upvote 0
I'm currently exploring getting the Eris w/o contract. Risky, I know. My price point is ~$250 but most seem to be going around $300 on ebay. Bottom line is I'm not burning my NE2 or even tying myself down for 10 months with a long term contract on the Eris. I'm guessing the Passion/Bravo/Incredible, whatever they end up calling it, will be in the realm of Droid pricing full retail ($600?), but will probably still be $199 w/ contract. My goal will be to sorta "lease" the Eris in the sense that I can flip it on Ebay to recoup some cost. Bottom line, I'm willing to eat $100-$150 out of pocket to get an interim phone. This is coming from someone with a razr pushing 4 years old. How patient have I been? I'm starting to lose it. (And my patience too... ;))

That's actually a pretty sound decision IMO.

Coming from a Razr you will love the phone--even the Driod. Seems anyone that hasn't had a smart-phone before LOVES the Droid. Coming from my Storm I just felt the Droid... Lacking...

Upvote 0

I thought about doing the same thing this morning. Try Craigslist in your area. I found 1 for $200, another for $250 and a bunch for $375 to $400 range. Can't get the $200 to call me back/answer email. I walked around with 2 $100 bills in my wallet all day if they called back. Bummer, probably already sold.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones