1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

my PC won't boot when my Optimus is plugged in

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by garybeck, Sep 22, 2011.

1. garybeck

garybeck Android Enthusiast

Anyone else experience this?

if I have my Optimus V plugged in via USB, and I (re)boot my computer, it gets stuck on the Windows splash screen and won't boot.

I'm on Windows XP home, sp3.

Not a big deal to unplug it but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and what might be the issue.

Advertisement

2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

If you have the phones drivers installed on the pc.. use Revo Uninstaller (the complete method that also removes the registry bits if there are any) to uninstall them. Reboot, and reinstall the drivers again.

Get the free version here.

If you don't have the drivers, you could try to install them and see if that makes a difference. You can more than likely find them linked somewhere in one of the rooting threads.

You could also try to check for corrupt system files by running chkdsk (it will also check for bad sectors on the hard drive and try to repair them if it finds any, but I don't think that's the issue here.). If chkdsk finds any corrupt system files it will try to repair them. ie: chkdsk does two things.. looks for bad sectors on the hard drive and tries to repair them if it finds any, and tries to find any corrupt system files and will attempt to repair them if it finds any.

Click Start, then click Run.
    In the run box type three letters: cmd.
    When the black window opens type exactly: chkdsk C:/r
    Say yes to whatever question it asks, and then reboot. When the system reboots it will begin running the chkdsk. Depending on the size of your hard drive it could take awhile.

If you would like more information on chkdsk, you can read about it here.

I cannot say for certain weather any of these steps will work for you, but these are the troubleshooting steps I would be taking if it were me. I'm not sure what else to try other than those steps... perhaps some others will have more options for you.

3. bludragn0

bludragn0 Lurker

Yeah, I had a small freak-out when I saw this. I think it's because I have USB set as my boot priority so it kept trying to boot from the data cable.

4. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

Probably this, you should check what you have set for the boot order on your computer.

5. lee1111

lee1111 Lurker

Happens to me too. Gets stuck in a boot loop. Brand new 64 bit windows 7 laptop I just bought. Haven't checked my usb boot settings, but that seems very very plausible. I would bet quite a bit that it's the culprit. When plugged in, it probably looks just like a usb thumb drive, except there is no OS to boot on our phones.

6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

I had to test this on my lappy (Win 7 64bit), which is roughly less than a year old. Mine doesn't get stuck in a boot loop, but I think it's because I installed the LG drivers for the phone when I installed the Android SDK.

Tags: