• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My personal ringtones are gone from the default ringtone folder

WimYogya

Sep 9, 2012
Hello,

It happened before and now again: my 'private' ringtones (including notification sounds for email, messages, sms etc) don't work anymore and cannot be found in the Samsung Ringtone folder.
I DO have copies of them on my SD card, but seems I cannot move them to the default ringtone folder: I simply cannot locate that sound/ringtone folder - or may not have access.

Strangely enough my 2 phone numbers (dual sim) still have personalized ringtones and if I click the full list appears, including even all my personalized tones 2 or 3 times (maybe the result of 2 or 3 failed move attempts?)

Don't know what else to do.
Anyone?

Thanks,
Wim

You shouldn't be able to move any new ringtones into the Samsung ringtone folder in the system partition, unless you're rooted. (are you?)

If you truly have them on an external SD card and you removed the card while the phone is on, it would break the links with the files and they wouldn't come back until you reboot. Just putting the card back in won't fix it.

Where does the the J7 mount the SD card? if it's anywhere outside of /sdcard Android might have a hard time finding your folder.

Using whatever file manager you like create a folder called "ringtones" if you don't have one yet and put it at the top level of user storage (it would either look like /sdcard/ringtones or /storage/emultated0/ringtones depending on your file browser).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones