1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My phone and battery tests.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by loony, Sep 3, 2011.

1. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

For a start, this is some info i thought i'd share, its not a complaint to ask how i can do better and it sure as hell not a "mines better than yours" either. just my testing info.

Current stats: NOT rooted (stock), firm- KG4, 2.3.3, only real changes are GO launcher theme, 3g watchdog,few games and odd apps but no "battery saving" apps or anything like that.

I started with a dud battery with my brand new phone, got about 15hrs at best no matter what i was doing. took it to samsung where they tested, confirmed it was a dud and gave me another one.

now being paranoid of getting another dud one, i tested this new one by leaving off any running apps, turning off wifi and data and leaving it for as long as possible. I also have some spare ebay chargers i bought cheap which i had some questions about there "reliability" you could say.

So, below are some results, i love doing my little tests here and there to see what it really going on. to know ones phone means to know ones problems that arise. i try to do the same with everything, know your car/pc/etc..., know how to fix it.
    (except the missus, can work her out, sure as hell can FIX her either! :D)

1) having at least wifi OR data usage on with 4 accounts auto syncing i get 1 day, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. that was my starting point, what am i doing to make it better and whats making it worse.

2) So, turned everything off, leave it over night =
    [​IMG]

3)*lastest pic. done this morning =
    [​IMG]

4)so, happy the new battery isnt a dud one. time to see some facts.
    charged up full with the ebay charger. the wife speculated hers died faster from the "faster charger", my test confirmed it left everything off and left it alone = FAIL CHARGER
    [​IMG]

5)after charging it back up with the stock charger, i left the data on. Now i'd like to point out i live at the edge of the 3g connection area. im kinda outside the "metro" area, hence, it continually searches for the better connection, swapping back and forth. the weak signal swapping around i think would suck the juice more if i lived in a solid and stable area. unless i move i cant really test that yet =
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6) now this made me think, maybe the other charger has "corrupted" the battery. so i drained it till it died and charged with the stock one. unfortunately results were similar.
    i dont intend to use the ebay one much. its more of a "left in the car/at work in-case of" thing. if i have a heavy day and need some juice ill use it.

7) so now i leave off the data and wifi and just use it like a phone. take and make calls and messages, try to stay away from angry birds etc (lol) FYI - game DO kill it, dont need to see screenies of that.....
    results of using it "like a normal phone" =
    [​IMG]

8) i try to leave on a dark kinda wallpaper, dont do many widgets really, i look out a window to see the weather lol, =
    [​IMG]

SO, at the moment, if i want to do something online i turn on wifi or data (depending if at home or work) other wise ill leave it off. if im not near a pc (which i use at home and work) then ill put data on for a bit and let it sync or just do a manual sync every now and then. i dont use that ebay charger where possible, and its easier now 3 other guys have the same phone at work, some one has a charger floating around most of the time if needed....and now i am hassling vodafail to give me a new firmware to test. in the short run i'll probably just do a manual one via odin as i think they are gunna ban me there soon. the support community is useless, they dont know anything about there own updates or even what software they have released. no help what-so-ever.

So that is sums it up. i plan on doing some more tests, ill post any results which i find make a difference, unfortunately ill have to wait for an update for any real major changes.

hope this helps those who are questioning "whats yours like".
    If your in doubt and have crap battery life,
    1)TAKE IT TO SAMSUNG AND GET IT TESTED.
    2) know YOUR phone, do some tests yourself. it will also help if you have to take it back, you can show and tell them EXACTLY the problem.

that's another reason that started this for me. i wanted to build a case file if i required a replacement.
    In the end, if i can leave everything on and it lasts me the day, im happy. its a kick arse-battery draining screen that goes faster than my home pc and ill have that over a phone that lasts a week and looks like a small crappy alarm clock.

:)

MrBaker22, Twinn and djaydasari like this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

next test was seeing what impact a utube widget had. same settings, same setup, only difference is utube app sitting on one of the homescreens. WIFI and DATA is OFF. so its not connected, just sitting there........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

quite a noticeable slow drain where i would still be near 99/98% over the same duration.
    confirmed for me that (some) widgets WILL drain your battery, connected or not.

3. twisted_mind

twisted_mind Member

dude LoL
    use the phone. Looking at your screen ON-time gives me the lulz.

4. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

all these are when i charge it full, unplug it and leave it over night. hence the no screen time.
    trust me, during the day i cant put it down. :D

5. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

NOLed time.

first test, installed but no notifications. good to see the app itself doesnt drain when nothing is going on.....(did drain a little, from other tests i would only be on %98...not 96%...but not much)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next..........
    used another phone, called mine with a missed call notification and left it overnight with 1 tiny dot.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OUCH! i knew it would drain but not that much.

Verdict = cool app, but not something you want to leave unchecked for a long duration, more so overnight!
    For me, im using GOsms pro and it clashes anyway. im happy just to touch the home button and look myself every now n then. i was a fan of this app but not prepared to use it now.

DaveSyd likes this.
  6. d8beat

d8beat Newbie

very interesting!

as for NOLED, maybe you could toggle the notification setting to decrease the battery drain? instead of the icon moving every 3 seconds, you could maybe toggle it to 300 seconds etc

7. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

ill test it out and get back to ya.

8. Twinn

Twinn Android Expert

loony I assume this 4d14h is real ? :D if so, well done! I`ll try to beat that when Litening 6.2 will arrive :)

9. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

well.......

i set the time to change to 500 seconds (stock is 3 seconds), the difference? =

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

quite a noticeable difference. i wonder if the makers know this? they might do better by upping the change time just a little. even 30 seconds would be better.

10. d8beat

d8beat Newbie

NOLED does make a big difference....no idea why but i put mine at 300. will switch it off in a few days time if its still very draining

11. Riche101

Riche101 Android Enthusiast

Let me know if it does improve battery life.

I have meantion this on the Xda NoLed thread and the developer is happy to make changes if this does improver battery life

12. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

lol riche, go up and have a read.........
    Post #5 screenies are NOled at stock, very draining.
    Post #9 is NOled CHANGED to 500 second count screenies. NOT as draining, even if it was at 300....the higher the count , the less the drain, but the more possible of a pixel burn-in. (POSSIBLE!...not for sure.)

13. Riche101

Hmm battery drain vs screen burn I liked Noled but think I may say bye bye tbh seems to much hassle

14. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

configured correctly i think its good, Set it up to turn off after a while and make the duration 300 (at least greater than 3! lol) like you say, in the long run, its just easier to press the home key and have a look. the small time it comes on over-rides the app drain time i think.

baldmosher likes this.
  15. Riche101

May be able to get better but am pretty happy with result

Attached Files:

16. loony

loony Android Enthusiast

well, ive just updates my firmware so ill look at some more test to see any difference.
    The best i got on KF4 which i used as a "the max life i will get" for generaly using it as a "phone".....6 days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews