1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My phone charges in USB when it's connected to AC???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ChappellHeel, Aug 21, 2012.

1. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Newbie

Every 15 charges or so my phone gets confused. I use the exact same cable and AC adapter but it'll charge in USB mode. Whether USB or AC, it always shows a lightning bolt on the battery indicator at the top of the phone.

Is there any way I can add something to my screen that will indicate whether it's charging in USB or AC? TIA!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sik00

sik00 Android Enthusiast

Aside from a custom widget from an app like Minimalistic Text, you can check how it's charging in Settings > About Phone > Status > Battery status.

FWIW, my LG Marquee does it sometimes as well. Seems to be when I insert the cord slowly, it picks up USB charge. I've found that plugging the cable into the phone first, then plugging it into the wall will always result in AC charge.

ChappellHeel likes this.
  3. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Newbie

Thanks for the info. As ridiculous as it is having to do so, I will try to plug it in faster. I do know how to check if it's charging AC. I would rather have a way to check by just looking at the screen instead of going to the settings every time. Nothing beats plugging in your phone then checking back in an hour to see if it's fully charged and seeing that it's not even a third of the way.

Come on, I know somebody here has a fix!

4. ritchea

ritchea Well-Known Member

Don't know if this will help, but you can put a battery widget on your home screen. Widgets>settings shortcut> battery. You still have to touch it to see battery status, though.

5. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert

Not aware of any widgets or ROMs that have the mode of charging listed out by the battery status or anywhere other than in the settings menu. You could kindly request a ROM developer to add this though. Most ROMs now have the battery percentage and if the phone is charging located on the lock screen, I'm sure it wouldn't be much trouble to add AC or USB out beside "Charging" for them.

6. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert

BatteryLife by CurveFish displays a little symbol below the widget depending on the charge type. Its not perfect but it does show a USB symbol or a little plug.

When you first install the widget it just displays battery life. After you install the widget you have to click on it and go into settings and select to show extended info on the widget. After that it will show temp, voltage and charge type.

MSUgEEk and ChappellHeel like this.
  7. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Newbie

Thanks Tim, I'll try that.

8. Gekko

Gekko Android Expert

what kind of charger/cable are you using? OEM or cheap aftermarket?

9. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Newbie

I'm using the charger and cable that came with the phone.

10. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Android Expert

Regarding the issue on intermittent charging AC/USB. Try a new cable. USB cables do go bad and will cause your phone to charge USB mode ocassionally (or all the time) when going bad.

11. ChappellHeel

ChappellHeel Newbie

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews