• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My phone doesn't ring!!

pinhead875

Jul 7, 2010
So I know how to use electronics, I know how to read manuals, I know how to work settings, etc. I'm not a beginner. However I do need help. My phone doesn't ring audibly. I do get vibrate, but no sound. Rings don't work with standard system ringtones, my music, ringdroid ringtones... anything. All I get is vibrate.
On the other hand, notification tones are working perfectly fine (from anywhere).
Any help? Do I have to take my phone to the Verizon store? I really don't want to do that.

Ok I just turned off vibrate, and my phone still only VIBRATES for incoming calls. This is odd.

Interesting. So you're sure that you don't have any audio manager/profile switcher/dialer/contact app that might have changed the setting for you? If the answer to that is yes, then I don't know what's wrong. I guess, as a last resort, you can do factory reset and return the phone to original settings.

Upvote 0
Good morning!

Unfortunately, I did have to reset my phone for this to work, but it did fix the problem. Even if you just had the settings a minute.

http://androidforums.com/support-tr...5-phone-doesnt-ring-smart-sensor-trouble.html

I do have that setting on, and I don't want to reset the phone (that will be my last resort, I'll read up on your link). Thanks!

Try changing your ring tone. Maybe you've got a defective one set.

I've seen where my phone goes to vibrate after using a docking station and doesn't always return to "ring".

I've tried multiple ring tones, thanks.

This is a known issue. You probably used the smart sensor option? Where you can put the phone face down when its ringing, and it will switch to vibrate?

Yes, I had that option checked. I just turned it off but it still doesn't ring. Maybe a reset is in my future? ugh...

Your X's past life hated you, but now the reincarnated X loves you!

If she loved me she would ring! :p

Upvote 0
Late update: I reset the phone yesterday and it's fixed now, aka my phone rings. Unfortunately we cannot use the smart profile option. But Moto is aware and working on it.

DXFan, thanks for the link again. The alternate "fix" is on page 8 of that thread, but it didn't work for me (seems to work for some, not for others).

Having AppBrain/Fast Web Installer helped get my apps back without a huge pain!

Upvote 0
None of the things posted worked for me. I finally got it to work after going through all the profiles and finding one with "Silent Mode" selected. The phone defaulted to that, even though I had the settings on the main screen for Volume set correctly. It took a long time to figure that out and every time I asked someone they tell me to fix the main volume / ringtone setting. Besides making you sound like a fool, it didn't work, until I found the setting in the profile. Check all of them if you have multiple profiles.

Call if you have problems, at least now I will hear it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones