• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My phone has been in 1X mode for about a week now...

Nooski

Android Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2012
This phone is done for. I tried rebooting, clearing every type of cache available, applying new ROM, changing the PRL, updating PRL and nothing.

It goes on 3G briefly then it goes back down to 1X. My sister's are on the same carrier as I am (Boost) and I tried getting their PRL and "writing" it on my phone. Still on 1X. They get 3G and I don't.

Any way to fix this?

Damn you're lucky. My phone is almost that age - give it 7 more months!

I'm planning on getting the S2. If that doesn't work out I'll just hang on to this phone. Do you (or anybody else reading) know what that small plastic film is for in the back of the phone, near the bottom?

Upvote 0
If your PRL updated this is what happened to a lot of folks, myself included (1X/roaming, etc.). You need to research how to force a different PRL back on the phone and you should be fine.

I haven't been having problems with this PRL for the past 3 months. Just last week it started giving me the 1X/Roaming stuff. It's all good though, it might have been an antenna.

But it's still weird that my sibling's phones got full 3G service and my phone couldn't even catch it (same company, using same PRL)

Upvote 0
Did you try going back to stock Rom and updating prl/profile?

Yep. I tried using that other method too (flashing to stock using .kdz files).

None worked. Either it's a tower gone bad or Boost is seeing that I've gone well over the limit of data (5.7GB) and now are trying to super-limit my usage. The sad part is that I can't receive calls.

But yesterday morning, the 3G came back up. I was so happy. I downloaded apps and the radio app. I stayed asleep listening to it. When I woke up, guess what.

1X again.

Upvote 0
Yep. I tried using that other method too (flashing to stock using .kdz files).

None worked. Either it's a tower gone bad or Boost is seeing that I've gone well over the limit of data (5.7GB) and now are trying to super-limit my usage. The sad part is that I can't receive calls.

But yesterday morning, the 3G came back up. I was so happy. I downloaded apps and the radio app. I stayed asleep listening to it. When I woke up, guess what.

1X again.

Yeah, there may have been some issue in your area then, especially if you could not receive calls. I believe all voice incoming/outgoing along with text messages use 1X and do not use 3G data. I've noticed whenever I make or receive a call the indicator switches to 1X. When I had my Windows phone (Sprint) if I was downloading in 3G and someone sent me a text, it would switch to 1X and hang there for the text message and then go back to 3G.

Glad it worked out for you -- for the brief moment =(

Maybe you should take a drive somewhere far where there are different towers and test your theory out. If that doesn't resolve the issue, I'll bet it has something to do with the PRL. Call Boost and have them reactivate your phone too --- and reload the stock rom as if it were a brand new activation and try that.

Upvote 0
I've heard boost/sprint have been refarming their towers. Their 4g clientele has been picking up so they have been doing some maintenance. Not sure if they are trying to phase out wi-max, but I was stuck on 1x for a few days in Chicago. Prl update and profile update didn't help, but after a few days it connected as normal again.

However, I did not have issues with calls/texts during that time, just data.

Upvote 0
It's back up. I think it WAS the towers. When I went to my sister's house, my 1X would jump around to 3G and back.

And last night my speeds were upped!!! Not throttled anymore. 8GB and downloading at 100 KiloBYTES per second. That's 5 times faster than before the outage or whatever happened.

http://i.imgur.com/l754wwP.jpg

And note, this is after the throttle limit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones