• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My phone is suddenly announcing my calls...

janusfenix

Lurker
Jun 25, 2013
I'm using a Nexus S, running stock Android updated to 4.1.2, with service from T Mobile.

Recently my phone has decided to start announcing the phone number / name of people calling.

Oddly, it sometimes continues doing so even after I've answered the phone, so I think it might be a third-party app that's doing it, but I could be wrong there.

Other forum topics have suggested Driving Mode or Caller ID Readout as possible causes, but I don't appear to have either of these options in my system settings.

How can I turn this off?

References:
hxxp://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/646998-phone-just-started-announcing-incoming-caller-name.html
hxxp://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-razr-razr-maxx/563495-how-stop-phone-announcing-incoming.html
hxxp://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/205801-how-do-i-turn-off-who-calling-texting-announcement.html

@FunkyLogik:
Thank you - So I went to "System Settings" -> Accessibility (in the "System" section at the bottom) -> I don't see an option to view applications.
The options are as follows:
(Services)
TalkBack (off)
Widgetsoid Beta Notifications (off)

(System)
Large Text (unchecked)
Power Button Ends Call (checked)
Auto-rotate screen (checked)
Speak passwords (unchecked)
Text-to-speech output
Touch & hold delay (short)
Enhance web accessibility (Not allowed)

Are you talking about a different "Accessibility" screen?

Upvote 0
@sleeco, @Mikedt:
As I mentioned in the original post, I already considered Driving Mode.

Settings > Accessibility > Text-to-speech (It's called "Text-to-speech output" on mine)
The only options are Google Text-To-Speech, Speech Rate, and "Listen to an Example".
In Google text-To-Speech, the only options are "Language", "Settings for Google Text-to-speech", and "Install Voice Data".
In "Settings for Google Text-to-speech", the only option is "Open Source Licenses".

Nowhere in here does it say "Driving Mode" or anything like that.

Upvote 0
Go Settings > Accessibility > Text-to-speech > Driving mode, toggle it to OFF.

Running Android 4.2.2 and I don't see a driving mode in there anywhere.

Janus; Tap on your phone icon (dial pad should come up) and go into the settings there. Check to see if there might be something in there that may have been enabled. It's probably a longshot, but you never know.

Upvote 0
Running Android 4.2.2 and I don't see a driving mode in there anywhere.

Janus; Tap on your phone icon (dial pad should come up) and go into the settings there. Check to see if there might be something in there that may have been enabled. It's probably a longshot, but you never know.

Thanks! That was a good idea - I hadn't checked there yet.
In there, the only relevant setting was "Additional Settings" -> "Caller ID", which has "number displayed in outgoing calls".. I think that's just outgoing caller ID, not incoming caller ID.

Anyone else have an idea?
If not, what's the next step? Is there an official Android support line I can contact, or something?

Upvote 0
Tech support will ask if you've uninstalled all of your user installed apps.

Did you try uninstalling the last few apps you installed? You could try calling yourself from a landline (without answering of course) to test after you uninstalled a few.

If it is a 3rd party app, you should be able to narrow down the culprit by process of elimination.

If you find it, let us know which one it is?

Reactions: janusfenix
Upvote 0
Tech support will ask if you've uninstalled all of your user installed apps.

Did you try uninstalling the last few apps you installed? You could try calling yourself from a landline (without answering of course) to test after you uninstalled a few.

If it is a 3rd party app, you should be able to narrow down the culprit by process of elimination.

If you find it, let us know which one it is?

Yeah, that may be my best bet at this point - I can't remember for the life of me what the last few apps I installed were, maybe I can find a listing by install-date somewhere. Otherwise I can just select likely candidates. I wonder if it's Google Voice. I feel like it got an update soon before this started happening.

I receive phone calls so rarely that it could've been weeks or even a month or two since it started doing this.

I don't suppose there's a way to backup my apps before uninstalling, is there?

Upvote 0
Ah, it might be Google Voice. Did you check all of the settings in there? I use to use it but haven't in awhile so there may be a new option for that in there.

I use Android Assistant to back up all of my apps in apk format to my internal SD. It does not save app settings, only the apps themselves. Since I'm rooted I use Titanium Backup Pro to save user apps with settings. I know I'm saving the apps twice, but I like to be prepared just in case. :)

There may be another free app that will save app settings without being rooted, but I wouldn't know of any names.

Upvote 0
You know, you'd think with a Nexus I'd have rooted by now...
If I can't figure out what's wrong I'll just use it as an excuse to wipe my phone and root.

Plan of action: Uninstall apps one by one, calling each time from another line, if I run out of apps then contact Android Support so that at least we have an answer.

Painful, but what can ya do.

Upvote 0
Huh. Well, that was unexpected.
Started uninstalling apps, and one of the early ones I uninstalled was "Robin", a siri-like app.
It looks like that one was the culprit, despite the fact that I hadn't used it in a long time.

Weird.

Anyways, now that it's fixed I think I'll root anyways. Any recommendations for a first time guide?

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Huh. Well, that was unexpected.
Started uninstalling apps, and one of the early ones I uninstalled was "Robin", a siri-like app.
It looks like that one was the culprit, despite the fact that I hadn't used it in a long time.

Weird.

Anyways, now that it's fixed I think I'll root anyways. Any recommendations for a first time guide?
Thanks. I was having the exact same problem. Robin was the culprit. Instead of uninstalling, I went to settings and unchecked CALL ALERTS.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
This fixed my phone.... I had to do the Sprint steps but it worked

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-15-19-37-52.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-15-19-37-52.png
    349.9 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones