• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My phone isn't functioning properly after using Odin! Help!

Narutard

Lurker
Dec 21, 2011
I just tried to root my phone using a method that I found on Youtube using Root S2 and Odin. Basically it effed up my phone. I can't connect to the net, make calls, have no service, and there's a plane icon that is constantly next to my battery icon. I tried to use Root S2 while it was connected to my computer after using Odin but it kept telling me my phone needed to be connected by USB which it was. I have no idea what to do but my Kernel on my phone has the following letters:

XWKDD and XWKDD_insecure.tar is the kernel I used and loaded up. Can someone please tell me how to restore my phone back to how it originally was and explain to me what I can do to root it properly. I'd really appreciate it!

type *#1234# in the dialler and reply back. plus have a look in settings>about phone and post those details here too. where in the world are you, and what network are you on?

It says Mobile network not available. I'm in NY on the Sprint network. I have no clue what to do but I want my original phone settings back...I feel like I don't want to root my phone anymore.

Upvote 0
It sounds ominous to me. Seems like your /efs folder is up the creek. This is the folder that holds your IMEI number amongst other things. Could be terminal unless you have a backup.

Go into menu>settings>about phone>status

you should have a network provider and an IMEI number in there. If not, try shutting the phone down, pulling out the battery and sim and give sim card a good clean and try again

Upvote 0
I did what you said with taking the battery and sim out but its still doing the same thing. When it starts, it has that yellow triangle in the beginning...I have no clue what to do...I tried doing a system update and now its on system Android recovery...I cant use the middle buttons and lower left buttons. Only the back button on the bottom of the phone...I really dont know what to do. Im going to go to the Sprint store here and have them look at it. Im just worried.

Upvote 0
Have a look on Google, search for epic 4g touch recovery .tar or something like that. Use Odin to download a suitable (rooted) recovery .tar file to your phone. Then figure out what rom you want. Wipe your dalvik cache from recovery before flashing the new rom. It would be preferable to flash the rom from recovery as opposed to using Odin. So if u can access the SD card, do that. Its harder to find roms for this phone in .tar format, but they are out there, and Google is your friend. To clarify, if flashing via recovery, you need a rom ending in .zip . If using Odin and download mode, you need .tar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones