1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My phone lags -- BAD

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Xaviera2010, May 19, 2011.

1. Xaviera2010

Xaviera2010 Well-Known Member

All the sudden my phone is lagging bad. Typing with the Swype keyboard can be frustrating because I swype something and then doesn't type it out for me until seconds later. Live wallpapers are very laggy and ugly, the menu lags, ect.......It's getting on my nerves. It never used to do this. I have not downloaded many apps, only Go Launcher and a couple games.

My phone is NOT rooted. What can I do besides rooting it to help this problem?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast

When is the last time you rebooted the phone?

FYI, some things (live wallpapers being one of them) do not run well on the Ascend in stock form. It has 256MB RAM and no GPU, so anything that needs a lot of memory to run and/or is graphics intensive is going to impact performance a lot.

Rooting, in and of itself, will not make the phone perform any faster, it only enables root access to the system so that you can use apps that need system-level access, such as Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, etc.

Also, I would recommend finding a memory manager app (most likely will require root) which will let you change when the OS decides to terminate applications, but don't get a task killer, as that fights against the way Android is designed to run, and *can* result in issues such as force closes, apps not working correctly, etc.

Finally, turn off anything you don't need via the Settings menu, such as Bluetooth and WiFi (when not in use), as the more apps you have running, the slower your phone will run overall. Ideally, for much improved performance, you may want to at least read up on the custom ROMs available for the Ascend. Having used Icarus, CM6 and CM7 myself, I can say that they ALL provide a major improvement over stock.

3. Xaviera2010

Xaviera2010 Well-Known Member

I reboot regularly. This problem is new, it wasn't this laggy before. Is there a way to maybe clear the history or memory or something? I really don't want to root it right now.

4. BlastGT1

BlastGT1 Android Enthusiast

My next suggestion would be getting a cache cleaner app if you don't have one already. Not all of them require root.

5. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

Also, sometimes a certain app may cause a problem, check any recent ones you have downloaded and maybe delete them one at a time to see if that helps. If you get low on memory it can make your phone lag like that, too.

6. -Lulu

-Lulu Android Enthusiast

Use launcher pro. ive tried all other launchers but no launcher comes closer to running smooth.

7. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Extreme Android User

also the unlocker version is awesome btw...

8. Stikman

Stikman Member

i suggest you flash to icarus or cyanogen mod7 its easy and you will enjoy your phone much better ive had icarus and ive just flash to cm7 a month ago and my phone never lags and its superfast

9. thasource21

thasource21 Lurker

This is the kinda stuff I do and it works....really does. Also use a bigger sd chip that is compatible with memory manager applications. Good Luck

Becky@thasource21.com
    http://www.ThaSource21.com - SEO/SEM Coordinator ;)

10. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Extreme Android User

check your internal memory usage. If its too much below 50MB, uninstall some apps.

Stock sux, so get use to this issue ;)

11. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Extreme Android User

not only does it sux but it SUX BIG TIME...