• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My phone overheats when playing Robo Defense

bengmo

Lurker
May 25, 2010
I have a droid running BB 1.1 with Bekit's 1ghz kernel and Set CPU.

The problem I am having is that when I play Robo Defense my CPU Temp goes over 50 degrees celcius and goes to my failsafe speed of 600 MHZ. Is this normal or is my failsafe temp just too conservative? Should I just clock it down a little for gaming? That would seem kinda counter-productive, to clock down for the most demanding thing I do but I guess it might be worth it VS overheating.

Also, which should I worry about more, the CPU or battery temp? I've seen posts saying that the battery actually has a much lower safe temp range, but I'm a little worried about the keyboard soaking heat from the CPU and coming unglued. I saw a picture of that and i'm not sure if overclocking was the cause but it seems possible, my keyboard is HOT when the CPU hits 50c

Sorry if this has been asked a lot before, I did try a search but didnt come up with anything regarding overheats during games.

I'm running the same rom without setcpu and have no issues even when doing CPU intensive tasks. Yeah it gets warm but that's about it. My question is: Do you notice a difference in gaming performance once it does into failsafe? If not, then leave it be. If it's getting noticeably hot to the touch even with the failsafe, then you should probably clock down or decrease the fail safe temp. IMO, warm is ok, hot for too long is not.

Upvote 0
Yes, the game slows down quite a lot when it goes into failsafe. It pretty much overheats the moment more than 8 or so enemies are onscreen :(

I ran without Set CPU at the same speed with no problems but I wanted to see just how hot I was getting so I re-installed it.

So I guess the real question is, how hot is too hot? I'm not talking like uncomfortable to touch temps here, I'm just a little worried about cooking my new phone. :eek:

I guess I will do a search tomorrow and see what kind of temp range most people see, maybe I'll try a P3 kernel or something

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones