1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My phone reads "Damaged SD Card - Try reformatting it" - 2 weeks in to my 1st international trip

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by jpersonette11, Feb 2, 2016.

1. jpersonette11

jpersonette11 Lurker

Two weeks worth of pics
    I have still never re-formatted the card

Hi there...new to the community, so hello to all and thanks for any insight you may have. I am hoping that this question has been asked in many different variations, so hoping for a solution.

Took my first international trip (off the wifi grid) with someone very special. Decided to buy a larger SD card before we left. Sandisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I. 128gb.

You guessed it, but I wake up one morning with a message on my phone "Damaged SD card" - SD card is damaged. Try reformatting it."

I didn't dare format it overseas so I took it out of the phone, back in it's micro case, and there it has sat for quite sometime.

Today I had the dream that I would try and fix it and surprise myself and her with the actual pics from the trip.
    I put the card back in the reader, but my laptop also can't read it and wants me to format it. I watched a couple quick videos and tried to read a couple posts, but every situation I find is still different or slightly different than my error messages or what happens.

If this group has the ability of writing out any step by step instructions on how to fix this problem, let's just say that it would be unbelievably appreciated that you wouldn't know. I know I am far from the only person that has had these issues, so not trying to cry a river. But it would be really really great to actually recover all that was on it.

Here's hoping that this situation is super easy to some of you....Thanks!!! John

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. olbriar

olbriar  

Hi John. Welcome to Android Forums. I'm very sorry your card became corrupted. You were wise in removing it immediately. Continuing to write to the card would remove any chance of recovery. I have a card in that exact state. It sits on a shelf in my office. Taking the card to a professional might recover some of your files. I don't know of the cost involved. I wish I could tell you to flip a switch and your files would all be readable. :(

3. jpersonette11

jpersonette11 Lurker

Thanks Olbriar. Appreciate the words, but sorry you are in the same boat. This trip was this time last year, so similar to your situation...the card has just been sitting in this drawer. If it helps at all, I did take it to Micro center here and it is something that does need to be mailed out. You initially pay $150 just for them to send out. If they can't get it, you're out $150. If they can get it, they told me it most likely is between $250 to $600 with the average in the middle. But they can't tell you upfront what it will be...so the third party company sort of has the ability to determine the billing. Best Buy uses a third party that was even more expensive. I have only been there for portable hard drives, but they quoted we that it can get up to $2,000. So I didn't even bother last year there.

I don't know if you have any experience, but I see in some videos and threads that people seem to go forward and format the drives, and then use SD recovery software to retrieve the lost information that was formatted.

I wish i had a money tree and then I guess $500 to have a company find these pics maybe isn't a huge deal, but I guess I am not ready to pull that trigger just yet.

Maybe it's back to the drawer for this card again.....hahahaha!

4. olbriar

olbriar  

There are far more clever folks out there John. Don't give up because I don't know how to access the files. Years ago you could take EDLIN to access a hard drive at the sector level. It would take a similar tool to access the SD card. I'm guessing it lost it's format and can't put the pieces of the files together to read. My pics weren't as important as yours... still it's a bummer to lose them.

As long as your card isn't written to, in theory it can be reclaimed years from now just as successfully as today. Maybe we'll hit the loto. :D

5. jpersonette11

jpersonette11 Lurker

Hahahaha. Yeah, I'm not giving up. And i figured that if i protected it right away...as long as it stays that way, I'm sure we could open that door anytime in the future. Let's hope someone else may read this and help us both get those SD card up and running.

Any idea if this card will always be a problem even if it was reformatted? I bought it 5 days before the trip so that was the first use. Nothing like a 128gb lasting 2 weeks. hahaha

6. olbriar

olbriar  

I think with a fresh format it would probably be fine. If it were mine... I'd have a hard time trusting it. I stupidly removed my card without dismounting it. I know why it lost it's format. It was trying to write when I removed it. Your card... no idea why it went South. I'd hate to toss such an expensive card.. and it's likely perfectly functional. My confidence level would be low however.

AZgl1500 likes this.
  7. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

Have you tried a media recovery programme such as Recuva? Just download, pop SD into PC and run on SD drive. You might not get all of the files, and they will be named something different, but it's somewhere to start?
    Edit: Sorry, wasn't thinking, having the SD card damaged Recuva probably won't be able to read to recover, maybe worth a shout though.

#7 SavageRobot, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  8. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I taken to being a Chicken Little,
    I power the phone off, then I remove the SD card.

9. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

What device was the card in when it became damaged? That might help (a) narrow down any intrinsic problem and (b) find a safe solution.

10. jpersonette11

jpersonette11 Lurker

Thanks Slug. The original device was my Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I went the bed overseas, plugged the phone I think to charge overnight, and the error message was on my phone when I grabbed it in the morning. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Still use the same phone today if that helps.

Thanks