• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My phone rings too long

silasp

Jan 9, 2020
Hi. When I get a call from an unrecognized number on my Note 8 I let it go to voicemail. However, the phone rings about six or seven times before voicemail grabs it. That's way too long. I'd much rather four rings but, for the life of me, I cannot find a setting to adjust that. I've searched under Voicemail Settings, Sounds, Advanced Features, General Management, all to no avail.

Any thoughts?

Changing the number of rings will be determined by your carrier, it's not necessarily going to be phone setting. And not every carrier will allow you to change the number. If there's no options in the carrier-specific app on your phone, try logging into your account online and look through any options there.
Which carrier to you use?

Upvote 0
Changing the number of rings will be determined by your carrier, it's not necessarily going to be phone setting. And not every carrier will allow you to change the number. If there's no options in the carrier-specific app on your phone, try logging into your account online and look through any options there.
Which carrier to you use?

I have Verizon. I tried contacting their support and was directed to a 'chat agent' where I waited nearly twenty minutes for a reply to my question and finally just gave up. Maybe after things return to (close to) normal I can reach a real person. I'm learning to be more patient.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Hi @silasp, you could try the following MMI code. It used to work in most carriers, as did the facility to alter the number of rings in 'voicemail'-'call forwarding'-'unanswered' in 'settings' but for some reason most carriers have blocked the facilities.

I'm with three carriers only one of which allows me to change the number of rings using either method, so I guess it's bit of a long shot, but worth a try.

"Open your dialer, key in *61*[voicemail number]*11*xx#, where xx is your required delay in seconds - 05,10,15,20,25 or 30, and hit Call/Send.

(in my case it would be :-
*61*+447781233123*11*30#)
Which is the generic voicemail number for UK Carrier '3'.

Then key in *#61# to confirm the new setting"

I have just doubled checked my two other carriers and one of them, 'ee', does still allow changing the number of rings by either method. My other carrier is BT which does not allow any changes by either method, although they may respond to a request if I asked them, but I'm happy with it as it is. To be honest I don't know what the delay is set to, if I hear the ring I answer it, if I don't answer it's because I haven't got the phone with me so it goes to voicemail and the number of rings is of no consequence.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones