• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MY PHONE: these are the APPS that i found Useful

CrazySte

Sep 22, 2010
HI EVERYBODY,
after about a little over a month that i own a Samsung Galaxy S i decided to look at my Phone and see what Apps i have installed on it and Kept... YES, there are apps that they were no useful to me so i cancelled them, but these are the ones that i pretty much use quite often.

THIS NOT A LIST OF THE BEST APPS, THIS IS JUST A LIST OF THE APPS THAT I FOUND USEFUL, BUT IS A VERY SUBJECTIVE THING, WHAT IS USEFUL TO ME, MIGHT NOT BE USEFUL AT ALL TO OTHERS

[FONT=&quot]INSTALLED APPLICATIONS[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]Google Goggles[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Google[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Google Sky Map[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Google Translate[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Google Voice[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Google Shopper [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Automatic Task Killer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]S. Tachibana[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Barcode Scanner[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zxing Team[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bump[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bump Technologies[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Clinometer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Plaincode[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Compass[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Catch.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ConvertPad

It would be very helpful to state what model phone you have and your carrier.
Makes a huge difference as to what will work, or won't work.

For instance, I am in the USA on Verizon with a Galaxy S Fascinate.

I have run into a huge amount of stuff that either won't install, or just simply will NOT work at all.

I disagree. A fascinate is not a galaxy s. Neither is a vibrant nor a captivate. They are galaxy s variants. Galaxy S refers to the I9000 only. I am aware that adverts sometimes refer to the variants as if they are the same, but it's hardly true.

Back to topic : I wish I can find bump useful too, but no one I know uses it.

Reactions: seepage
Upvote 0
I disagree. A fascinate is not a galaxy s. Neither is a vibrant nor a captivate. They are galaxy s variants. Galaxy S refers to the I9000 only. I am aware that adverts sometimes refer to the variants as if they are the same, but it's hardly true.

I think you are quibbling over a very minor distinction. Variant, yes, but a Galaxy S just the same.

I have a HP 6xxx series laptop. Your argument would make my particular model, the HP 6355 not the same or even close to a HP 6100. They are all running the same O.S. sir. The hardware is a bit different yes, but that is precisely why I state that the exact model of phone should be stated when asking questions.

Me thinks you are trying to keep this forum only for I9000 owners.

Upvote 0
It would be very helpful to state what model phone you have and your carrier.
Makes a huge difference as to what will work, or won't work.

As far as i knew the Samsung Galaxy S is the Model # i9000, specifically i have the GT version, meaning the GT-i9000.

I am using it with AT&T and as you probably figured out by now, mine is an UnLocked phone so really... i could use it with any carrier, that said, you you read my Topic all the way, you would have notced that i mentioned that on my phone there are Tmobile apps... so apperently the phone i purchased is an Unlocked Tmobile Samsung i9000 Galaxy S that came from Germany... i don't know how much difference this makes, but i hope i satisfied your curiosity
REGARDS

Upvote 0
I won't try to beat a dead horse to death.
Verizon quite blatantly advertises that the Fascinate is a Galaxy S.
In fact, on the back side of the Fascinate is this:

GALAXY S, the 'S' is a very elegant kind of script.

In the Settings menu are the following:

Hardware Version: i500.04
Model number: SCH-i500
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: S:i500.04 V.EA28
Kernal version: 2.6.29
Build number: SCH-i500.EA28

So, it would seem that SamSung at least is indeed calling this thing a Galaxy S with the above information specifying which Variant that it is.

To imply that anything that is NOT a i9000 isn't a Galaxy S would not seem to be how SamSung is thinking.

I will leave it at this, and just hang out strictly in the Fascinate forums I guess.

I really and truly was hoping to learn something more from all of the forums.

Upvote 0
Just downloaded Quadrant and looked to see what it professes that my Fascinate really is.

A bit interesting, no?

FascinateVersion3.jpg

Makes me kind of think they are one and the same piece of hardware.

The kernel is different for each region of the world?

Upvote 0
But the software, or more specifically the rom says otherwise. Installing a vibrant rom on a i9000 will most likely brick it, and vice versa. Apps that works on the captivate does not necessarily work on the I9000 either. If only all the variants share the same firmware then we won't have to worry about updates compatibility.

Btw, please forgive me if I am a little touchy upon this subject. I have seen plenty of cases where users accidentally flash the wrong rom and brick their phones. (Though in most cases they are recoverable) Also, seeing that all the galaxy s variants have their own sub forum, it's not really too much to hope for a i9000 one, is it?

Upvote 0

No. There's a separate section for the Samsung Fascinate. Only US has awkward variants. Everyother country has the one i9000.

This section is for the Samsung Galaxy S i9000. The normal one but there are dedicated sections for vibrant, fascinate, captivate etc as they are network dependent and have different roms so aren't really a Galaxy S.

Reactions: seepage
Upvote 0
Just downloaded Quadrant and looked to see what it professes that my Fascinate really is.

A bit interesting, no?

FascinateVersion3.jpg

Makes me kind of think they are one and the same piece of hardware.

Thats just the info you get when you select a samsung galaxy s in quadrant, i can also select motorola or htc etc. on my galaxy s and it gives me the info on those, but my phone still isnt one of those!

just saying

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones