1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

My Replacement Evo is a Refurb....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steeler, Aug 10, 2010.

1. manny84

manny84 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    I've done this before in the past.

If you bitch, bitch, and bitch hard and long enough they'll eventually just give in to what you want. Especially when you threaten to walk from your contract, too.

Advertisement

2. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    A while back they have a big issue with losing customers left and right and never had a growth trend... The game is a bit different now and they're seeing the first growth in months... I'm sure they will still work with most folks, but probably won't be as easy going as they use to when they were hurting to just keep customers, not to mention get new ones...

3. ghodzilla5150

ghodzilla5150 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    Yes, a refurb matters. I received my refurb today (ver 002) AND it has light leakage at the bottom just like my day 1 original does. My OG phone ended up getting dust under the screen (which I know this refurb'd unit will eventually get as well). I spoke with Sprint and they had the nerve to tell me to go thru Asurion (I would have to pay a deductible) because the screen separation is NOT a known issue. I told him I spoke with HTC and they said it IS a known issue and that I could send my phone to them BUT I will be looking at a 2-4 week turn around time (this is my ONLY phone) and Sprint said they could not give me a loaner. I am very PO'ed right about now:mad: I will think long and hard when my contract comes up and if I should change carriers and NEVER purchase an HTC phone again.

4. gmanvbva

gmanvbva Newbie
    None

Jan 15, 2010
    Call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Keep calling back if you need to.

5. ghodzilla5150

None

Jun 14, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have talked with 3 supervisors today.

1st Supervisor claimed that they have never heard of this issue and he's had his EVO for 2 months

2nd Supervisor told me to go thru Asurion. I told him I am not paying a deductible for a hardware defect. He then put me on hold and subsequently the call was disconnected.

3rd Supervisor I am on the phone with right now and she has transferred me to another woman who in turn is transferring me again as I do not want another refurb's unit. They said they can call Asurion and they (Sprint) will pay the deductible and that Asurion sends out new units (it will supposedly take 7-10 days)

Needforspeed likes this.
  6. ghodzilla5150

None

Jun 14, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    Edit: Finally good news. The 3rd Supervisor I spoke with (who transferred me) called me back and said she set up a return with Asurion and that Sprint would pay the deductible. She gave me n AAR# and after I got off the phone with her, Asurion sent me an e-mail saying a NEW EVO will be shipped to me in 7-10 days and to return my og phone to them:) I am happy now

7. manny84

None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    I'm glad you got that sorted out, ghodzilla.

However, I wouldn't be too hopeful about your new EVO not having light leakage. My last 2 EVOs and current EVO has light leakage. Upon receiving my 3rd EVO and seeing the light leakage I pretty much accepted this horrendous design flaw by HTC. Poor quality on HTC's part - they suck in this regard. Chances are something else will go tits up with your new EVO in a few months' time.

ghodzilla5150 likes this.
  8. manny84

None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Aside from the light leakage, how was the general condition of your refurb?

I should by receiving my refurb sometime next week.

9. ghodzilla5150

None

Jun 14, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    Manny84 - Thanks bro. other than the light leakage the refurb was in excellent condition. I figure if a brand new EVO comes and it has light leakage, I will just live with it.

manny84 likes this.
  10. KAuss

KAuss Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    I've gotten mine replaced a while back for leak into the screen and my first one has almost no light leak (except the light leak INTO the screen) and my 2nd one HW003 with Novatek screen has light leak under all 4 buttons and the bottom 2/3 of the screen bezel... However, it is only visible with lights off...

So even brand new ones get it, I've not had dust in either phones though, and I have always kept it in my painter's pants leg pocket... It does get dusty in there, and the place I work at is dusty as well...

I think most of the refurb phones in this case are as good as the new ones because in reality, that's how they were when they were new too... This is why if you can ever score a refurb EVO it might not be a bad idea, however I wouldn't pay full price for one...

11. n0really

n0really Member
    None

Dec 17, 2009
    Is it safe to say that refurbished units get a new cover with NO scratches?

12. FunDroid

None

Jun 30, 2010

Don't forget they dried it out after it fell is someones shitty toilet! :eek:

13. dave01978

dave01978 Newbie
    None

May 28, 2010

Ok the Reset Password is your MSL you can get that from srpint, you could tell them you need the msl or just make up some data problem then they have have you enter ##DATA# and give you the MSL.

Now that does a factory reset, it has nothing to do with the settings on that page though.

14. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2010
    My evo has cracks by the power and volume buttons. I went in last night and they are going to replace it. I might get a refurb I might get a new one. We will see. Oh, I also complained of the light leakage.

A refurb can be from many things. It might be a problem phone during manufacturing. Say when they put it together it didn't power on. Are they going to throw it away? Nope. They'll put it in the rework bin and when they have enough they'll fix those.

Or it could be one of ghodzilla5150's returned phones. I hope he didn't drop his in a toilet!

15. nochance

nochance Newbie
    None

May 25, 2010
    I just got a a refurb as well. I sent mine back because of white spots on the screen. The tech guy was very understanding, and was quite baffled why the Sprint repair shop wouldn't fix it, or put me on the list for a new one.

I told him when I called them about the white dots, he said it couldn't be fixed because it was my error, I was tapping the screen too hard. He chuckled and said he doesn't have the right to deny me a manufacturers warranty.

After a half dozen apologies he puts me on hold and tells me I'm on the list and that I can get a new or refurb phone. But it would take 1-3 weeks depending on the back-order, then 2 to 3 days for it to ship. I got it 2 days later, shipped overnight. Once I peeled the plastic off I couldn't tell if it was new or refurb.

16. manny84

None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Just got my refurb in the mail today. The device came brand new in the box, surprisingly. The battery, charger and manual were sealed in the plastic. Everything was sealed. It came installed with 2.2 as well. So far so good.

*crosses fingers*

17. asaberan

asaberan Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Really? I thought refurbs never came in a box with all accessories. Are you sure this is a refurb?

manny84 likes this.
  18. manny84

None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    Technically it isn't a refurb but I went through Ausurion anyway and still have to pay the $100 non-refundable. But yeah, it's brand new. The Sprint rep who activated the phone for me said that the device is still so new that they barely have refurbs of the EVO in stock.

19. asaberan

asaberan Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Oh, okay, makes sense then. I just got a replacement delivered today but it's at home. I believe it is a refurb due to the word "single" instead of "kit" in the email I received telling me it was shipped. In addition, it shipped the same day I requested a replacement, so the chances of getting a new one are pretty slim I think. The guy on the phone even told me that it probably would be "weeks".

20. manny84

None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    That's odd. I wonder why you got an actual refurb and I didn't...

21. link00seven

link00seven Newbie
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    Student
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I'm a little concerned. I just got a replacement because my original EVO's camera flash went out. I had hardware version 003 and the replacement is hardware version 002. It also has a couple scuffs and a scratch. I wouldn't worry so much about the scuffs and stuff but I don't like the fact taht I was given hardware version 002 when my original was 0003. Didn't version 002 have a few problems that were fixed on 003?

22. ghodzilla5150

None

Jun 14, 2010
    San Bernardino, CA
    Hahahahaha:p I did not drop it in the toilet. Check this out. Sprint sent me a refurb on Monday, I received it on Wednesday (low and behold light leakage, Hardware ver 002). I spent the next 2 hours on the phone with 4 different "Managers" trying to get this phone replaced. Well the last lady I spoke with ordered me an EVO from Asurion and Sprint paid the deductible, she then told me to take the refurb'd unit to a Sprint Corp. store and return it. I drive 25 miles to the nearest Sprint store only for them to refuse it and say they don't take back refur'd EVO's. Well I am on the phone at Sprint trying to get this issue taken care of. I end up leaving the Sprint store and went home. Sprint then sent me a UPS return label and I took the phone to a UPS store today. I called Asurion and they will ship my NEW EVO next day air sometime next week.

So I get home today and there was a box on my doorstep. Sprint sent me ANOTHER EVO (I did not ask for another unit). It's brand new (Hardware 003 and NO Light Leakage or Dust under screen). BTW - The Dust under the screen on my original EVO is spreading (it's getting worse). SO I call Sprint to let them know that they shipped me ANOTHER EVO. They told me to keep this unit and I ALSO get to keep the EVO from Asurion and just send Asurion the original EVO. What a bunch of Morons. The funny thing is when I called on Tuesday to see if Sprint was going to ship my EVO, they told me my order had been cancelled and to go thru Asurion. Within 3 days I have received 2 EVO's (1 new & 1 Refurb'd) from Sprint.

23. manny84

None

Jun 9, 2010
    New York, NY
    OK, so I checked for light leakage and lo and behold, light leakage on my 4th EVO, just like I expected. Oh well. Whatever. It's brand new so I can't complain. I'm just surprised that Ausurion sent me a new EVO...

24. neutron

neutron Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 8, 2010

Make some money off of it!

25. Evo4gee

Evo4gee Newbie
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    Best Buy phone does not use refurbs ever, they get you a new one which is cool. Just a little FYI.

Tags: