• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My response from htc about q1 2.1

Well heres the thing. There are apps that only work on android 2.0+ that i do not have access to. If this wasn't the case then fine. At the moment personally i'm not too upset, but i can see how others might be. One of the apps i cannot access is google navigation, it would be very handy to have expecially considering i'm going to a chicago cubs game on april 15th and there is alot of construction going on between here and my destination. Sure i have a tom tom i also have built in navigation on my toyota minivan, but the maps on my toyota are a couple years out of date (its an 2006 model) and my tomtom requires a yearly fee to keep it up to date. In my situation i could be upset, but i'm not, but someone else in my shoes very well could be, i can understand that. This is just one situation where the update would be very handy. Do i feel i am owed this update, well sorta. When i bought the phone a couple weeks ago it was common misconception the update would be out within days. Not only have we not had the promised update but the droid has been updated twice. Once to 2.0 and now to 2.1 and still no word on when we will be getting said update. I can fully understand why some people are abit upset, expecially considering the vast majority of us have not used the leaked updates in fear of not being able to get the OTA update when it comes out. Sure those who have been using the leaked update for the past week or 2 seem to be pretty happy, but alot of us aren't willing to put our phones at risk to beta test and bug fix someone elses software. It seems the people using the leaked updates are the ones who aren't in a hurry and/or don't care when the ota update hits the rest of us.

Upvote 0
Well heres the thing. There are apps that only work on android 2.0+ that i do not have access to. If this wasn't the case then fine. At the moment personally i'm not too upset, but i can see how others might be. One of the apps i cannot access is google navigation, it would be very handy to have expecially considering i'm going to a chicago cubs game on april 15th and there is alot of construction going on between here and my destination. Sure i have a tom tom i also have built in navigation on my toyota minivan, but the maps on my toyota are a couple years out of date (its an 2006 model) and my tomtom requires a yearly fee to keep it up to date. In my situation i could be upset, but i'm not, but someone else in my shoes very well could be, i can understand that. This is just one situation where the update would be very handy. Do i feel i am owed this update, well sorta. When i bought the phone a couple weeks ago it was common misconception the update would be out within days. Not only have we not had the promised update but the droid has been updated twice. Once to 2.0 and now to 2.1 and still no word on when we will be getting said update. I can fully understand why some people are abit upset, expecially considering the vast majority of us have not used the leaked updates in fear of not being able to get the OTA update when it comes out. Sure those who have been using the leaked update for the past week or 2 seem to be pretty happy, but alot of us aren't willing to put our phones at risk to beta test and bug fix someone elses software. It seems the people using the leaked updates are the ones who aren't in a hurry and/or don't care when the ota update hits the rest of us.

OH! I am so sorry! I'm sure if verizon knew you were going to a cubs game on April 15 they would have pushed the update out sooner! ... What ever will you do?(its not like you have 2 other GPS systems) I am sure they won't be able to sleep until you get what you are

i feel i am owed this update...a couple weeks ago... it was common misconception the update would be out within days.
you know ... that logic is so well thought out i do not think i even need to say anything.

How exactly does the droid have anything to do with our erises getting updated? different manufacturer, company, and OS (considering sense is the only reason it is taking us so long)

Reactions: davros
Upvote 0
Actually yes. I was explicitly told when I purchased the Eris that it would "shortly" be updated OTA with version 2.0 or better. So on the basis of that verbal contract then, yes, I am owed an update.
same was said to me, say whatever to get the sig eh?.... o well i was going to drop another 100 on the moto droid but was told the up date would have the same shit, just no useless keyboard . hrmmm

Upvote 0
OH! I am so sorry! I'm sure if verizon knew you were going to a cubs game on April 15 they would have pushed the update out sooner! ... What ever will you do?(its not like you have 2 other GPS systems) I am sure they won't be able to sleep until you get what you are
Ha Ha Ha Ha :D to funny.

Oh yeah:
I'm on 1.5
I want 2.1
I want the Navigation most
When I got my Eris in mid February I was told that an update was coming out in a few weeks, then I heard Q1.
I bought it still and love it now.

Oh yeah:
I'll get 2.1 someday by an OTA
I'm not upset at all
VZW doesn't owe me anything because it hasn't been updated yet
I don't feel I've been lied to about an update

Upvote 0
It was one of the questions I explicitly asked. I knew when I bought it that the OS was old. I asked was it upgradeable and in the conversation with the Verizon employee he was fully aware that not being able to upgrade would have been a deal breaker. He clearly said that yes the OS would be upgraded. Now, I'm not really upset (Yet) that I haven't gotten it, but if a representative of a company (any company, not just Verizon) makes a promise in order to make a sale, then they are obligated to follow through. If I hadn't been told at point of sale it was coming, then I wouldn't feel that I deserve it. I'd still like to have it, but I wouldn't feel Verizon was obligated. But since they did (through their proxy---the sales person) used it to sell the phone, then I do feel they are obligated to me now.

The only thing he told you was that it is upgradable if you want the update so bad go download one of the leaks.

Upvote 0
Hey guys. Do this:

Your boss asks for a report to be done by Thursday April 8th. When the 8th comes around, don't have it done. Tell him to **** off and that you didn't promise him anything. Tell him he's part of a generation of people that expect everything just handed to them. Ask him why he feels entitled to the report and if you promised him said report when he hired you.

Video or it didn't happen. If you keep your job, I'll pay your cell phone bill for a year.

Reactions: davros and jaboda79
Upvote 0
same was said to me, say whatever to get the sig eh?.... o well i was going to drop another 100 on the moto droid but was told the up date would have the same shit, just no useless keyboard . hrmmm

No, not at all. Unless I'm completely misreading you, that is dripping with sarcasm. Sarcasm that is totally unnecessary. When I purchased the Eris the Droid was the only other Android phone in the lineup. I rejected the droid for numerous reasons. I wouldn't have dropped another $100 on it for any reason. What I *WOULD* have done, is waited for a bit until something else came out. My thinking on purchasing the Eris was directly related to Verizon saying it would be updated to a 2.xx OS. I simply wouldn't have bought the phone except for that, and the salesperson was fully aware of that.

Upvote 0
The only thing he told you was that it is upgradable if you want the update so bad go download one of the leaks.

I have. I'm happy with it. I'm simply saying (and have reiterated it over and over) that there *IS* a reason that people are unhappy. I'm 100% positive I'm not the only one that was told that an update would come soon. The Droid update was delayed a few weeks after an initial attempt failed. It stands to reason that the Eris update was set back until after the Droid update. I've been clear in this thread that I have no issue with the delay. The only thing I have attempted to do is answer the question that was asked. And that question is why do people feel they are owed an upgrade. Well there is good reason people feel they are owed an upgrade, and it's quite simply because they were promised one. In my own case in a deliberate attempt to keep me from walking out the door not purchasing anything.

Upvote 0
Shenanigans I call it

lol....agreed.

Lets face facts, we knew this wasnt happening in the time frame given when they were still and still are testing builds of 2.1.

While they are obligated to fix bugs with the phone its not like they are obligated to give us a new kick ass OS, but they are, and I will appreciate it when delivered, just as I am appreciating using the 2.1 v2 leak I am using now.

Upvote 0
It was one of the questions I explicitly asked. I knew when I bought it that the OS was old. I asked was it upgradeable and in the conversation with the Verizon employee he was fully aware that not being able to upgrade would have been a deal breaker. He clearly said that yes the OS would be upgraded. Now, I'm not really upset (Yet) that I haven't gotten it, but if a representative of a company (any company, not just Verizon) makes a promise in order to make a sale, then they are obligated to follow through. If I hadn't been told at point of sale it was coming, then I wouldn't feel that I deserve it. I'd still like to have it, but I wouldn't feel Verizon was obligated. But since they did (through their proxy---the sales person) used it to sell the phone, then I do feel they are obligated to me now.
they havent not followed through yet...just relax and you'll get it when it comes out...they told you it was coming, they didnt say when

Upvote 0
I emailed htc after quarter one was officially over about 2.1, even though I am on leak 2, this was the response.

I understand you are interested in the update coming for your Droid Eris. While it has been announced that the Eris will be receiving an update to Android 2.1 with HTC Sense in early 2010, the exact date of when it will be available has not been announced yet. The latest information we have heard from Verizon indicates that the update is due to be released in the earlier part of the 2nd quarter, although no specific date has been set yet. The original statement was that we had projected the update to be available in the 1st quarter; however, this did not come to fruition. Thank you for your patience in this matter. If you have any other questions, feel free tocontact us again. You can find additional support at support forums at community.htc.com. There is also a customer satisfaction survey for you to take if you are interested. Philip HTC Technical Support

There full of bullsh*t & fake as F*ck bro. The same shit happened to me when i got the Storm 9530. Rim an Verizon lied there ass off. All we can rely on is the Leaks, and that ain't nothing but the truth!

Upvote 0
Because HTC has ANY control over what happens after they release the update to Verison for testing and certification...

And TBH, having installed 2.1 v2 the last night, there ARE issues that I can understand giving Verizon pause, and it seems like SOME of them are 2.1 native issues.

So... I really don't see that anyon inparticular is f*king us over... it's just that... the odds of HTC, Google, AND Verizon all getting to agree that we are GTG are... low.

Reactions: hattrick
Upvote 0
I want multi touch! And Google navigation. And as for being promised/owed the update I, just as many other ppl on here was told a specific timeframe (within two weeks) by guess who: the person selling the phone. So yes, they should definitely live up to their end of the deal in my opinion. But having worked for a cell phone company (cricket) for a good while ending last year, ive seen how much bulls**t information is passed right down the chain of command and funneled straight into the customers mouths. That being said the salesperson could have honestly thought it was really coming in two weeks. My personal opinion? I think verizon wants to keep the more expensive phone (moto droid) on a higher OS than eris. If they didnt who the hell would buy that ugly lookin thing?! LOL

Upvote 0
as i have already installed the leaked 2.1, i am not too concerned when the update comes out, like many others in here. However, if I was still on 1.5, and I was specifically told by Verizon employees speaking on behalf of the company that yes you will see an update before the end of the first quarter, then yeah, I would be upset. maybe if verizon had issued a release saying somethin like yeah we know we promised it, but we are not gonna be able to come through for you cause there are still some kinks, then it would make it alright. but not word from the big v. they never said hey we might get to you by the end of the first quarter, they said they will if i understood correctly. like i said , im not upset, just playing devils advocate. yet in a strange way, i am anxiously awaiting the official release, and i am not sure why yet. weird huh? and it sounds to me that somebody might work for verizon in here cause they are defending them awfully hard lol. just my worthless two cents

Upvote 0
What a bunch of crybabies!

Can’t you guys stop whining?
Verizon/HTC is delaying the release with a reason, don’t you think?

Be patient, please. I rather wait and know that there are no
serious bugs in the OS.
Peter

+1, however it has been posted more than once in these forums that one of the sales points for the device in the store was that an update was forthcoming "soon," and even, "very soon."

Well, that may not satisfy a legal definition of making a sale under false pretenses, but it does approach that point, in my opinion.

As for me, I'm fine with 1.5, but apparently many purchased the Eris with the notion that 2.1 was coming to their phones within a few weeks.

We should at least be hearing more from Verizon about the status of the development of 2.1, and perhaps an updated time frame, a range of possible dates, for the OTA.

Upvote 0
+1, however it has been posted more than once in these forums that one of the sales points for the device in the store was that an update was forthcoming "soon," and even, "very soon."

Well, that may not satisfy a legal definition of making a sale under false pretenses, but it does approach that point, in my opinion.

As for me, I'm fine with 1.5, but apparently many purchased the Eris with the notion that 2.1 was coming to their phones within a few weeks.

We should at least be hearing more from Verizon about the status of the development of 2.1, and perhaps an updated time frame, a range of possible dates, for the OTA.

Frisco, you are right 100%
However, there is no other way around for Verizon/HTC. Apparently, they want to give as a more-or-less stable product. So they are doing? Send the word out about the upcoming update, - sales go up.
They can

Upvote 0
"We" have? Were you promised an update when you purchased your phone? Does it work exactly the way it did the first day you owned it?

I seriously do not understand this entitlement philosophy that some of you have as though HTC/Verizon somehow OWES you an update.

I also was told that the update was coming any day when I bought my eris. With the leaked 2.1, the wireless networking on my phone finally works. No, it does not work the way it did when I bought it, it works way better with 2.1. Too bad I didn't get it from Verizon and if I have a hardware problem, I am screwed because I didn't wait forever with a buggy phone.

Upvote 0
Boy, all I can say is that when I bought my Eris, the sales guy did all that he could to try to convince me that the Droid was the way to go - it was better, had the latest Android OS, etc. He said that the Eris was just the entry level Android phone - it was cheaper for a reason. He never said anything about it getting an OS update.

Based on what you guys are reporting, perhaps you are finally learning that you should be doubtful about any future upgrade promises made by somebody trying to sell you something. And, for all of you saying that a salesman is an agent of Verizon Wireless and therefore authorized to make a binding oral contract promising future upgrades on behalf of the company - boy, I would love to see one of you guys take that one to court and report how the case goes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones