1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support My rooted desire randomly turned into a brick today... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by humphreymurray, Feb 20, 2011.

1. humphreymurray

None

Dec 24, 2010
    Hi, my htc desire randomally desided to turn itself into a brick today. A few weeks ago I re-installed my phone with RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00.32U_5.11.05.27_release_159811_signed.exe and used unrevoked3 to root it. It's been working amazingly since... until today. And now...

• While plugged into power, my screen froze.
    • I then removed the battery to restart it... hoping that would fix it.
    • Now, when I turn it on it hangs at the white HTC screen for about 5 minutes, it then starts drawing the "quietly brilliant" text at a very slow frame rate.
    • It then appears to boot up, but the only thing I can do is press the top power button.
    • It then has a message saying my battery is about to go flat, and to plug in the charger (even though it is plugged it)
    • If I unplug the charger, it shutsdown straight away.
    I tried to install the ROM, but the installer reports that the battery is below 30%, and it exits.

I tried to access the boot menu (to do a factory reset) but holding the vol-down button on startup doesn't do anything.

My best guess is that it's a hardware failure. Perhaps a power surge has fried some of the battery charging circuitry?

So, has anbody got any thoughts of what else I can try? Is there another way I can try and reset to factory settings? It's still under warranty, but I'd prefer to try and unroot it before I send it in.

Thanks in advance...

Advertisement

2. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Can you get into fastboot by holding the back button + power button when switching on?

3. humphreymurray

None

Dec 24, 2010
    oooh, yes I can! I shall try playing with some of the options in that menu :)

4. humphreymurray

None

Dec 24, 2010
    Ok, using that fastboot menu, I've managed to wipe my user data, but that didn't fix the problem :-(

I managed to get a screenshot over usb using ddms... and the android sdk let me install and run an application. But since I can't unlock the screen, I couldn't do anymore more than that.

Is there a way that I can restore one of my naidroid backups, or put a ROM on my sdcard, and install from there?

Also, the LED light isn't lighting up when I plug in the charger.

5. Si Pie

Si Pie Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Go back into the fastboot menu and plug in the phone to your computer with the usb cable. The phone should now say 'fastboot usb'.

Then run the RUU in your original post from your computer. That should get it back to unrooted stock for you. Although it requires at least 30% battery which could be a problem.

6. humphreymurray

None

Dec 24, 2010
    Cheers! When running the RUU from the fastbook screen, I didn't come across any 30% battery error. Software installtion went fine, although the newly installed software still has the same problem once it's installed :-(

I want to be able to reinstall the Telstra (my phone carriers) version, however that won't let me because my bootloader is too new, so that I can take the phone in to get fixed. Although, from what I've read, it's impossible to downgrade bootloaders?

7. NorthernNoel

NorthernNoel Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 3, 2010
  8. humphreymurray

None

Dec 24, 2010
    Thanks NorthernNoel...unfortunately, that method requires USB debugging to be turned on... and since I can't get into the phone options, it doesn't work :-(

I think I'm just going to take my phone in to the shop, and hope they don't notice that it's debranded.

9. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    just a thought!!!!
    have you tried a different battery in it (ask onr use one from the stores)

10. humphreymurray

None

Dec 24, 2010
    Thanks for your suggestions everybody. I just got my phone back, and it was all fixed under warranty! They never mentioned anything about rooting or debranding. So huzzar!

According to the service report, they replaced my phone's printed circuit board. So it was a definite hardware fault.

It now has the Telstra software installed, and I think I'll leave that on there now, since Telstra have now released Froyo.

I hope this helps anybody else with the same issue.

Humphrey

SUroot likes this.
  11. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
Tags: