• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Rubik's Cube Live Wallpaper App! Please review

Mohammad_Adib

Aug 25, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Hello, I am new to the forums, my name is Mohammad Adib (as suggested by my un :D) and I am just a 15 year old who loves to program :). I heard these forums were a good place to get friendly opinions on apps you make, so i thought I'd come here and give it a try :).

So, I recently got my Infuse 4g and decided to give android programming a shot. I was reading the book "Hello Android" (3rd edition) where Ed Burnette showed how to render a textured cube with opengl. Although the book explained next to nothing, i decided to make my own cube, from which i managed to figure out how to map a different texture to each side of a cube, and from there I simply duplicated 27 of them in order to create a rubik's cube. With a little bit more thinking outside of the box i came up with a way to make it come alive and move each of it's faces...Hence was born "Scrambling Rubik's Cube", a customizable live wallpaper with fairly straight forward settings and functions: It's a rubik's cube that is self scrambling and rotates on all axis by itself. Although you can change it from rotating or scrambling, or speed it up/slow it down, change the background and much much more. By default it comes with a dark gray background, it rotates and scrambles by itself, and each move (turn of a face) takes 3000ms to complete (All of these settings are changeable). It also usually solves itself by chance every so often.

Anyway, I plan to release this to the android market for $0.99 just for fun to see if i can get even 10 bucks in my pocket(with which i would be plenty happy, knowing i earned it all by myself :D). It should work on all devices Android 2.1 or higher. So far it's been tested on my Infuse 4g, an HTC Inspire 4g, an Android 2.1 emulator, and a galaxy s2 4g. So now I am wondering what you guys think. Where would you like to see it get improved?

Take a look at it working here(720p taped with my infuse lol): Android Live Wallpaper: Scrambling Rubik's Cube! - YouTube

And attached are screenshots of the wallpaper working on my own phone(in .zip)

Attachments

• Screenshots.zip
    923.1 KB · Views: 56
looks really good!!!!

I don't know how much it helps your goal, but I noticed the majority of live wallpapers have a "free" version that is pretty basic....and then a "paid" version that allows for customization...

things like color array, speed etc are only available in the paid version.

It has always been my speculation that this type of set up would gain more people with your app/ thus more of an opportunity of people upgrading to the paid version

Reactions: Mohammad_Adib
Upvote 0
looks really good!!!!

I don't know how much it helps your goal, but I noticed the majority of live wallpapers have a "free" version that is pretty basic....and then a "paid" version that allows for customization...

things like color array, speed etc are only available in the paid version.

It has always been my speculation that this type of set up would gain more people with your app/ thus more of an opportunity of people upgrading to the paid version

Wow great to hear your feedback thank you i do plan on dumbing down the settings and disabling a few options and making a Buy option for the free version so people will be lured in. Thats what most free live wallpapers do, as you said. Thanks for your feedback i appreciate it. This is now old the app is now far more impressive looking if i do say so myself and its been tested on 20+ devices from a 2.1 device to a 3.0 tablet. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones