• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My samsung galaxy S2 batteries suddenly drain within hours!

I'm trying this reset method for my battery.

My phone continues to shut down because the battery is "dead," but keeps restarting. My phone has shut down and I've restarted it almost 30 times now. It won't completely die and not restart. Sometimes, it seems like it is going to and I take the battery out and put it back in and it restarts.

I'm taking this as an indication that juo78 is right and that my battery calibration is just way off. Once it completely dies and won't restart I'll complete juo78's recommendations for re-calibration and post my results here. It is probably extremely important that you restart it until it absolutely won't restart again...

Matt

Upvote 0
It worked for me! Thanks juo78!

I probably had to restart my phone about 50-60 times before it would no longer restart. Then I recharged it with the phone turned off a couple of times.

Today, my battery lasted 11 hours (with light usage) before it died. That doesn't sound too great, considering much of that time was with the phone just standing by.

It is MUCH better, however, than what I was getting--which was about 5 hours.

Thanks, juo78!

Upvote 0
hi guys~
i also experienced this matter :

1. my S2 got drained within 3-4 hours, this is without turning on my wifi, data, GPS, Bluetooth or simply says i just let it in standby mode ; just for normal usage-texting & make/received call.

2. i've noticed this begin to happened when i'm using external battery charger from Kapersky, when i use it in a while my screen's phone can be 'auto rotate' even i already disable that function & suddenly turn into 'driving mode'.

3. then when i charge with standard samsung charger, it will notified 'MTP Connected" (it still charging, but it just like when i connect the phone to PC via USB)

4. & of course, the phone get hot at the back side.

* model : GT-I9100G on gingerbread 2.3.6

now i already done re-calibrate the battery, lets see how it goes~

before that, thx juo78:)

Upvote 0
After turning the the Galaxy 2s while charging, it would turn itself on within two seconds and the device would charge slowly.

Following a suggestion on one forum, I checked the cord plug at the phone end and removed a speck of whatever. It made no difference.

Then I checked the other end of the cord where it plugs into the mini-ac transformer and saw that it was not inserted all the way in.

I pushed it in all the way and that solved the problem.

Upvote 0
If you are updated to ICS from GB, then you NEED to do a factory reset. Backup all of your data on the phone and do a factory reset via Kies when you plug your phone in. Sometimes a factory reset is all you need to put the new OS into place on the phone. In some cases the 2 OS's clash with each other after the update and the factory reset resolves that problem and implements the new OS (ICS).

Upvote 0
Hey Guys! Hope you are up for reading my looooooooong post (plus rant)! :)

Need some help with my SGS2. I am facing similar problems as what seems like for millions other!

THE ISSUE: My phone keeps crashing randomly after my ICS update, and when it does the battery indicator shows a steep drop in charge. So this happens even when I have 85% battery charge, and on re-boot battery shows 35%... 50% of the battery seems to have pulled off a Houdini's disappearing act in a flash!

SOME FACTS:
1. I have a sim-free version of the SGS2 in the UK... and I know this is a T-Mobile thread...but really liked the discussions going on here thats why my post...
2. My phone is NOT rooted (and I do not intend to root it either)
3. I have upgraded to ICS using KIES v2.4, they have rolled out a KIES v2.5 just recently (after my upgrade), according to which I have the latest firmware too...
4. My phone: model number GT-I9100, Android version 4.0.4, Base brand version I9100XXLQ6, Kernel version 3.0.15-I9100XWLPT-CL941023 dpi@DELL169 #3

The Story so far:
Post my upgrade to ICS, my battery started draining rapidly, like others have experienced too, it went from lasting 16 hours (with the things I do) to less than 6 hours. Thats where the alarms started ringing, and I started my online search for a solution. First I tried the battery re-calibration (just like what Juo78 suggested). Well the next couple of days battery was back to the same old 16 hours lasting... so I was like EUREKA! problem solved!!! just when I started celebrating and started playing my fun HD games, my fone started crashing... for no rhyme or reason, it would just shut down and that to when i was about to beat my own high scores!!! Grrrr! well anyway, on reboot it would show a sharp decline in Battery usage anywhere between 35 to 50% drop... if I continued playing regardless, then in less than a minute battery would be down to 0-1%... so i tried the battery calibration again, but no difference in the behaviour. I then decide to live without my 'life changing' games... and battery usage was back to normal (it even felt better lasting than before at times)... I then decide to play non HD games (assuming that the HD games are probably conflicting with the 4.0.4 OS... but same problem occurs again... and got worse... even while browsing net, facebook, twitter, it would randomly shut down... so my next diagnosis is resource availability issue! I jump to the conclusion that too much going on in the background and I came across the suggestion that you can limit background processes to zero by changing the setting in DEVELOPER OPTIONS.... again EUREKA! it worked for a couple of days... but the problem returned much to my annoyance... Finally I had to do it - FACTORY RESET... so I backed up all my data and applications using KIES... I was so hoping that I do not need to erase my stuff... but had to bite the bullet... I restored only my contacts, messages and call logs... everything else was re-done... I installed every application again from the market again (not from my back up)... did that work?? HELL NO!!! I am still stuck with the same issue... battery usage seems fine when doing basic stuff on my phone... the 2-3 situations when it crashes are either when I am playing some heavy games, updating multiple apps from Play store, and once it happened while watching videos on youtube... my current feel is that resource availability is an issue, so i am now trying JuiceDefender to see if that helps... if that does not work, the next thing on my list is BetterBatteryStats... because honestly I don't think JuiceDefender works the same way as BetterBatteryStats (but I could be wrong)... I will try to upload a screenshot of the battery usage indicator... coz it did something very strange the last time it booted... my phone went from 76% before crash to 33% after boot... but then it was rising...without charging it! so I did a reboot after a few minutes and it was then showing as 63%! I mean what the hell was that! Oh one thing I should mention is that every time it crashes, I take the battery out completely, wait for 30 secs to a minute and then put it back in... because i think that helps...
So anything else that anyone can suggest will be highly appreciated!

Some constraints for potential solutions to my issue:
1. I love ICS, its fantastic when it works, in fact I love it so much that I am not going back to GB at any cost, so I will even live with this if I have to... but would of course prefer not too...
2. I am not rooting my phone, have not done it till date and do not intend to in the future... frankly because I do not think I have it in me to handle a rooted fone.

If nothing, I hope you get a good laugh out of my experience and if you have experienced this, just know that you are not by yourself!! ;)

But hats off to all you guys who are participating in these forums! They are absolutely PRICESSLESS! I will definitely post an update if my situation gets sorted!

Cheers

Upvote 0
According to t-mobiles android support there is a glitch in the software where something gets stuck to ON. So about once a week you should pull the battery wait 15 - 30 seconds and reboot. I heard doing this has other benefits as well??
I've had the battery drain faster at times so whenever I notice it draining faster then usual I pull the battery and reboot. It resets the phone and the battery stops draining.

I just got hit with this (November 20, 2012) and pulling the battery and putting it back in again did not help. But after reading this I left the battery out for half an hour before putting it back in and rebooting. Everything is back to normal now.

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
Wow, I'm happy I'm not the only one having this issue. I went to school with an 87% charge, I even closed all apps running in the background, and a 3 hour math test later, with the phone locked and in my pocket, the battery was completely dead :hmpf:

I just ordered a sgh-t989 from Wamart and haven't received it yet. I was not aware of this battery problem until now!

how old is your phone and is it on T-Mobile? Did it come with ICS installed, or did you update the phone?

I wonder if my phone will have ICS on it and also have the battery issue.

I can always return if so.

Upvote 0
I had a problem with my battery going full drain within 4-5 hours, and heating up pretty warm on the back. After disabling, and uninstalling, and working my way through the process of elimination, it wound up being one of my email accounts. I have four going to my phone, two that sync (push) and two imap (poll). When i deleted all of my accounts the battery and overheating problems went away. Turned out one of the accounts was constantly connected and had data activity. I then redid them paying very close attention to how i was setting them up, polling only every half hour or more based on the importance of the account. I look at my phone now and it

Upvote 0
WOOOO HOOOOO!!! my problem is gone guys!!! i have had a battery much MUCH better life than before... i can go upto 24 hrs without charging... and that is with doing ALL my regular stuff... in fact am playing more games than before and surfing longer than before!a

after having been through all the crap I mentioned in comment #83... the issue turned out to be the physical battery itself... on one occasion, while I was fiddling with the battery, I noticed a very slight swelling... in fact it was so slight that I probably would not have noticed it if I did not have my spare battery to compare it with... I immediately switched the batteries and now my spare battery is the main one... it works fantastic... I can finally get the phone to last over an hour even when it is down to 15%... I did some more searching on the net and this seems to have been an issue with many!!! so check your batteries and see if it is the same problem...

Many have said that overcharging the phne can cause the battery to swell up... and believe me i used to charge it all night! (have stopped doing that now... I unplug as soon as it hits the 100% charged mark...

am totally loving the new ICS!!! and yeah Android rocks!!!

hope this helps others too... Cheers!!! :D

Upvote 0
I just ordered a sgh-t989 from Wamart and haven't received it yet. I was not aware of this battery problem until now!

how old is your phone and is it on T-Mobile? Did it come with ICS installed, or did you update the phone?

I wonder if my phone will have ICS on it and also have the battery issue.

I can always return if so.

I got my new phone up and running! It's just amazing! I've been up since 4am this morning playing with it, and my battery still shows 49%.

It does have ICS. It going to take me quite some time to learn all the settings! This is my first smartphone, and it's just perfect:D

Upvote 0
Congratulations Charlym! Its a great first one to have. Enjoy it! :D

Thanks Atmazzz! It's taken me a couple of days to set it up, but I found the battery life to be quite good if you don't use it all day like a laptop! Today I did play with it all day talking on Skype and downloading apps, videos, etc.
The battery counter shows a little over 15 hours, @ 17%. Not bad at all.:p

Reactions: Atma
Upvote 0
I have been using Samsung GS2 for six months and recently been suffering from severe battery drain. I would get just 8-9 hours on a full charge with very light use.
Went through the Internet and searched forums and finally hit jackpot.

Here's wht I did:
1. Calibrated the battery. I let the battery drain completely and allowed the phone to automatically shut down. Then charged the battery from zero till 100 per cent.
I did it three times over a week.
The last time I did this, once my battery was 100 per cent, I removed the battery, waited for 5 minutes, reinserted it and switched on.

2. Turned location services off
Go to Settings, Location services:
Untick Google's location service
Untick GPS satellites
Untick Location and Google search
(Unless u r using Google Navigation a lot u dont need these)

Optional settings:
3. If u want to desperately save battery life...
Turn Auto Sync off:
Settings-Accounts and sync
Turn it off

4.Turn wi-fil off during sleep
Settings--wifi--Advanced (menu key) Keep wi-fi on during sleep ---Never

These steps hve worked for me, especially the first two, hope u guys will find them useful.

Thanks
:):):)

Reactions: CrackBaby
Upvote 0
You have to re-calibrate your battery. My wife and I own galaxy s2. I am on ics 4.0.3, rooted but stock firmware and my wife's phone is on gingerbread, rooted but stock 2.3.3 . I think this will work regardless of your phone being rooted or not. This will re-calibrate your battery. Your problems happen when the phone operating system thinks the battery is 100% charged when physically phone battery is only 60%. Or vise versa when physical phone batter is 100% and operating system thinks its 60% (or what ever value). Hope this fixes all your battery problems. Dont worry, this happened to my phone and my wife's phone and all is well. Your welcome.

1) drain all of your battery untill phone shuts down

2) turn on and drain battery until phone shuts down ( repeat until you are unable to turn the phone on- this step is very important because we need to drain the battery competely)

3) take the battery out and wait 5 seconds or so and put it back in

4) Charge the battery while the phone is off

5) when the charge is 100%, take the charger off then charge again to get 100% again

6) turn on your phone and enjoy your new battery
Could you please clarify step #5: (when the charge is 100%, take the charger off then charge again to get 100% again.)??? Do I discharge to 0% then charge to 100% a second time, or just unplug the charger after I reach 100% and immediately plug it back in?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones