• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My samsung galaxy S2 batteries suddenly drain within hours!

1st post

I just received an S2 to replace a broken LG G2X I used for a couple of years.
I got over 50 hours from a full charge on the LG so was astonished that I only got about 10 hours from the S2 while sleeping.

I found this forum and read this thread and any regarding battery life.
I followed the directions to reset the battery found in post 52 and now I'm at 95% power left after 2.5 hours.
Before resetting it would have been there after 10 freaking minutes.

I was considering getting a different phone after Best Buy (not called Best Support) support told me "10 hours is about right".
A friend told me she gets 10 hours on her S4. I'll tell her how to reset the battery and see if I'm hero or zero :)

Best Buy's best idea was that mine's running 4.1.2
If that's optimized for quad and this is dual that could be a problem.
This would be 4.1.2 ported for dual or it wouldn't work at all right?

Upvote 0
Sure enough that did the trick.
It's been over 14 hours and my S2 still has 79% power left.
I made a few calls and have the screen brighter than auto sets it at.
I have the widget feeds and everything automatic turned off but my battery problem seems to be solved.
I can start using my smartphone like a smartphone.
The math says it should last about 70 hours between charges so yeah, 7x what it was before I recalibrated it.
I'm psyched and just felt like raving so there it is.

:( < was me - is me > :)

Upvote 0
The reviews out there state that the Galaxy smartphones are they new IT thing to have, looks, ease of use, applications, & more...
Now I sit here going over all the posts that are related to my issue...
My battery drains like there' no tmo!
I have tried everything there is and &#9437;&#9438;&#12342;&#9431;&#9432;&#9437;&#9430; !

Now everyone here talks about turning wifi off, deleting apps, using minimal apps, turning this off turning that off...

I switched from iPhone (which NEVER gave me a problem) to Galaxy and in 2 months...

1. USB Charging Port, went bad, Warranty says BEYOND REPAIR ?!?!
  2. Had to buy a battery charger with 3 spare batteries
  3. All the batteries, including Samsungs original, drain at the speed of light

We pay good money for this phone, we should not have to be turning wifi off, deleting apps like Facebook, or anything to that sort, we should be able to download as much as the storage we have, have wifi on whenever want and not have to be dealing with these issues, this is ridiculous!

Maybe if there is enough of us, we should do a class action because it's just not fair that we pay good money for a phone that has "GREAT REVIEWS" (now I'm wondering whether these are paid reviews), & we should be entitiled to a replacement phone if ours is not working properly or a face value option.

I love the phone, the graphics, the android OS, I just hoped I wouldn't have to carry 3 spare batteries when I go out or that my UBS port would work fine/had been fixed/or the phone replaced!

Upvote 0
Hi, this thread was very useful for me, and I wanted to let you all know my experience:

My S2 started consuming battery real fast after upgrading to JB, It was heating up like hell and battery consumption was 70 % from the screen.

So, reading that the problem was battery calibration, and having a rooted phone, here is what I did:

1. Download "Calibrar Bateria (ROOT)" from PlayStore. (Or any app that erases batterystats.bin from system). If you have a CWM recovery that suports erasing batterystats.bin (mine doesn't) you could just use that option instead.

2. Take the battery out and charge it 100% with an external charger. The phone itself should do the work too, but mine was taking hours because of the unusual consumption.

3. Put the 100% charged battery back in, and inmediately run the program to erase batterystats.bin or erase it manually from CWM recovery.

4. Let the battery discharge entirely before charging it again (I'm not sure this step is really necessary).

5. Thats it! Now the system will generate a "good" batterystats.bin file.

That really solved the problem for me... My phone is back to normal... Or better :D

Upvote 0
You have to re-calibrate your battery. My wife and I own galaxy s2. I am on ics 4.0.3, rooted but stock firmware and my wife's phone is on gingerbread, rooted but stock 2.3.3 . I think this will work regardless of your phone being rooted or not. This will re-calibrate your battery. Your problems happen when the phone operating system thinks the battery is 100% charged when physically phone battery is only 60%. Or vise versa when physical phone batter is 100% and operating system thinks its 60% (or what ever value). Hope this fixes all your battery problems. Dont worry, this happened to my phone and my wife's phone and all is well. Your welcome.

1) drain all of your battery untill phone shuts down

2) turn on and drain battery until phone shuts down ( repeat until you are unable to turn the phone on- this step is very important because we need to drain the battery competely)

3) take the battery out and wait 5 seconds or so and put it back in

4) Charge the battery while the phone is off

5) when the charge is 100%, take the charger off then charge again to get 100% again

6) turn on your phone and enjoy your new battery

Can You explain step 5 Better please ? i don't get this part: take the charger off then charge again to get 100% again do i have to turn on and drain the battery or else ?????

Upvote 0
I totally agree with GalaxyFanMaybe---lets do a class action because you should NOT have to turn every damn thing off. It's a phone for crying out loud. I-Phones don't do this crap! I initially wanted the Gal S3 but the T-Mobile guy convinced me to buy the 2. And THEN find out the 3 has way better battery! I like the look of the S2 much better, more classy. We didn't buy any of our phones but did have to buy 2-Yr. contract yada yada.

Upvote 0
I was able to solve this problem on my Galaxy S 2! Overnight my battery life dropped to maybe 3-4 hours (on idle) and it became completely unusable... I don't run any programs that drain battery life and GPS/WIFI/Bluetooth are always off, so I was really confused.

All I did was follow a recommendation (from this thread I think) to shut off the phone and take out the battery. Then I put the battery back in after a minute. When I turned on the phone my battery life suddently dropped by 15% but then started draining at a normal rate!

Not sure if this will work for everyone but its easy to try.

I too followed someone's advice on here to drain battery, take out battery, put it back in and drain once more, but his directions at the bottom didn't make sense (#5). But with me, I left out the battery over night after draining it to nothing. This morning I put the battery back in and am now going to drain it once more, but I don't know. I have my doubts. By the way, I still don't know how to put music on my phone legally haha. Help? Another forum?

Upvote 0
You have to re-calibrate your battery. My wife and I own galaxy s2. I am on ics 4.0.3, rooted but stock firmware and my wife's phone is on gingerbread, rooted but stock 2.3.3 . I think this will work regardless of your phone being rooted or not. This will re-calibrate your battery. Your problems happen when the phone operating system thinks the battery is 100% charged when physically phone battery is only 60%. Or vise versa when physical phone batter is 100% and operating system thinks its 60% (or what ever value). Hope this fixes all your battery problems. Dont worry, this happened to my phone and my wife's phone and all is well. Your welcome.

2) turn on and drain battery until phone shuts down ( repeat until you are unable to turn the phone on- this step is very important because we need to drain the battery competely)

5) when the charge is 100%, take the charger off then charge again to get 100% again

Aw craaaaap. No wonder I never did good in reading, I can't follow directions. Yes, step 5 makes no sense but I couldn't even follow step 2 ha! Back to draining it today again to start over. Did anyone else do this and it worked??

Upvote 0

This unfortunately didn't work for me :( I bought a new battery (probably Chinese) and at most I get 10 hours out of it, before and after I tried the above :(

Mine is not rooted, version 4.1.2 ever since I upgraded I got this crappy battery life! I don't have strange running apps in the background only chat (WhatsApp, Line, hangout..) Google Now is disabled

Upvote 0
My phone drops fast but not as fast at that. It's kinda weird. One day it lasted a day an half, and the next it lasted 11 hours, and another day it lasted 7 hours. Today it last almost 12 hours, so I'm going to try this calibrating battery thing. Also, you could have a corrupted file on your phone if you download music and stuff, so the media will keep going over it and drain your battery. To see what drained my battery I downloaded this app called the Wakelock Detector. Idk if it would help you or not, it helped me. My s2 is ok, it can get barely past a day and I'm fine with that. I have a battery case to help but it is just too thick.

Upvote 0

is this required to be done every time? or this one is to be done only one time?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones