1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support My screen has a dead zone :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheSchneidster, Jan 11, 2012.

1. TheSchneidster

TheSchneidster Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Goodyear, AZ
    The right side (in portrait mode) of my screen doesn't respond to touch!

Running the length from top to bottom, there's a 1/8 in. wide dead zone just a few hairs from the edge of the right side!

I called Verizon, and despite this being the third phone they've sent me, because I received this one in March '11, it's no longer under warranty!

The screen is visible and the rest of the screen thankfully works, but when I want to type in portrait mode, the keys on the right side of the keyboard (I, O, K, M, the period and the comma keys) don't respond to touch.

I have to flip the phone to landscape mode.

The right side of the screen rotates to the top and switches to the text-box where my messages appear as I type.

Stinks because games are now unusable.

I can't remember dropping it recently, so I guess it's just one of those things :(

Any ideas?

Advertisement

2. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 24, 2009
    Male
    Law Enforcement
    Staten Island, NY
    It is still under the 1yr manufacturers warranty from HTC. This is a manufacturers defect, they have to replace it or call HTC directly. Call them or go to a vzw store and speak with a manager

3. Blacklight82

Blacklight82 Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2010
    If all else fails, you'll have to replace the digitizer.

4. TheSchneidster

None

Nov 16, 2009
    Goodyear, AZ
    I called VZW and they said the phone was no longer under warranty.
    (I've had this one since March '11)

I called HTC and they said it was still under the manufacturer's warranty, but that I had to call a third party for warranty information and repair.

I called "Personal Communication Devices" (their 800 no. is on HTC's site, listed as Verizon's repair program) and was instructed to send them the device.

If it's a manufacture defect, they'll fix it and send it back.

This could take two weeks.

If it's not a manufacture defect, they'll send me a quote for repairs.

I'll be sending it in, but I'm thinking of turning off my data plan for the month since I'm thinking that's how long it will take to get it back.

A Verizon rep I spoke with the other day said that if I turn the data plan back on before 60 days, I'll be able to keep my unlimited data plan.

I hope this all works out :/

5. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    Something doesn't add up here..

Every Thunderbolt is still under warranty for 2 more months+ at least.

I recently contacted VZW because I had a similar issue, although mine was intermittent, and doesn't sound as bad. After a 5min phone call explaining that I've pulled the battery, rebooted, and done factory resets, all with no change, they offered to get me a new phone.

There's something you're leaving out because the phone IS under warranty, and VZW would have offered to replace it.

6. TheSchneidster

None

Nov 16, 2009
    Goodyear, AZ
    To make a long story short, my wife convinced me to go to a Verizon store.

I was told by a rep there that the phone WAS still under warranty, and that a new one would be sent to me right away!

Whew!

7. SDotNY

SDotNY Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2010
    NY
    Yea I was on the same boat, same keys didnt work, games unusable, etc. I had to un-root, S-on and call verizon. Funny thing is when I called they asked what software version I had and it was something like 1.12 which was when the phone first came out lol..

8. rocky0931

rocky0931 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    What is you guys' ROM code version? Any problems for other 3rd party keyboard apps at same place? I just wonder this is H/W(touch digitizer) or S/W problem ?

9. TheBeachBoy

TheBeachBoy Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Musician
    Phoenix
    I had that issue with my first Moto Droid...unfortunately it was out of warranty by a couple months. It went worse after that, with "phantom" screen touches that would make the screen jump as if I was touching it.

Glad you got it straightened out with VZW.

10. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    I am having the same issues with my TB right now.
    at first i had the phantom screen touch issues, those went away and the dead zone replaced it. pretty awesome. phone is not covered under warranty through vzw b/c i bought it used. i have to pay $100 deductible due to damage to the body of the phone through insurance.
    this is a CLNR phone from verizon that i got in august, would this be covered under HTC warranty?

also, after doing some searching online, seems this is a fairly "common" issue with the right side of the screen. I for one cannot use my i,j,n, or period key in portrait mode. no matter the software, or keyboard application.

11. TheSchneidster

None

Nov 16, 2009
    Goodyear, AZ
    My new/refurbished/working Thunderbolt came in the mail! My apps are restoring, and all is well.

Now I just hope they receive the old phone and get it into their computers quick enough!

12. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    keep your shipping slips and whatnot. i had a $700 dollar bill one month from VZW because my old phone "never got there"

thankfully it was a simple call to customer service and they found it in the system.....but it could have been worse.

also, this was like 2 months after i sent it in, so keep the slip for a while just in case.

13. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    You'll receive a text message from VZW when they receive the phone back.

14. Turdbogls

Turdbogls Android Expert
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Designer/Drafter
    O-town Florida
    this is true, they send you something, but i still had to "fight" with them for a few minutes for them to refund my money

15. rogjack6112

rogjack6112 Lurker
    None

Feb 27, 2012
    "My wife's TB is unrooted and has the latest upgrade a couple of mos ago. She is having the same missing letter on virtual keyboard problems. Couple of letters will not type in portrait then different couple of letters malfunction in landscape.
    We have tried several keyboard apps like swype and they malfunction also. stock reset did not help. Pulling battery etc. did not help.
    Has anyone found a solution --she will have to buy another phone as warranty is up and one of the letters messing up is "e". thanks for the helpl"

I posted the above in another thread then found this info. I guess she has the same problem. I will take it in to verizon or call HTC. It is an ebay phone so Verizon prob will not help. I was not aware the 1 yr warranty was still in effect by HTC so thanks very much for this discussion. Roger