• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My SD Card has used space even after formatting it??

This is a very wierd problem, i really dont understand what is wrong with my 16GB Class 4 SanDisk Memory Card. The data on my memory card has stuck, Niether I can delete it nor i can add, copy, paste anything into it.. But I can copy the data in it to my PC..
I tried to format it with my android phone Dell Venue (Cyanogen Mod 7.2) but no use.. I tried to format it through the recovery still no use... When i format it in my PC it shows format is complete and when i open the memory card in my PC it appears empty, but as soon as i stick the mem card back into my phone the data appears again... The 7.7GB in my mem card are used and i cant delete it...
I tried different softwares like SDFormat for formatting my mem card bt all in vain..
I used Command prompt to format it took around 20 mins to format but still the data was back.. Im frustated because i cant find any solution to it..:thinking:
Please help me out.. !!! :(

Sounds like your phone still shows the data even though its not there. If it doesn't show data in other devices, the card should be fine.

When you format a card, the file system is simply a reference to the location of each file. Sounds as if your device is providing that reference...

Would be interesting to see what other cards show

Upvote 0
Sounds like your phone still shows the data even though its not there. If it doesn't show data in other devices, the card should be fine.

When you format a card, the file system is simply a reference to the location of each file. Sounds as if your device is providing that reference...

Would be interesting to see what other cards show

I inserted a different 2GB micro SD card into my dell venue and it showed the original data that it had in it.. What does this mean???

Upvote 0
Its hard to say.

I assume you cant take a nandroid backup of the device if you can't write to SD?

My initial thought (and this is literally a stab in the dark) would be that the device would benefit from a factory reset and the card formatted elsewhere. I think its a device issue rather than a card issue, though your test does nothing to prove this.

Upvote 0
If this is one of those cards that has Windows apps stored in a hidden location, and copies them to the FAT partition whenever you plug it into a Windows machine, you need to go to the maker's website for a utility that allows you to change the hidden part. For everything else, you can use just about any Linux "live boot disc" to get a Linux environment up on any PC w/o the need to install it, find the device that's the flash drive. (Use lsscsi if it's available.) Find it again to make certain, and use this simple command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd?

where the ? above is the letter (usually b, c or beyond) of the flash drive. What you'll end up with is a flash drive with nothing at all on it. Youshould be able to build a new partition table and filesystem like normal if it's not broken.

If that doesn't work, check for any tiny lock switches on the device (I have a couple like that) or contact the manufacturer for help in resetting it.

I bricked my first SSD when I tried to do a firmware upgrade on it, and brought it back to life with the help of the drive's OEM. It never hurts to go to the source and ask.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones