1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips My (Small) Guide to getting Transform recognized on your computer

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Cooper271, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Cooper271

Cooper271 Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Quite a few people have had problems (and still are having problems) getting the Transform to connect to a computer (including me).
    I don't own a Mac, so I can't provide support for it. All of my computers are 32 bit (x86), and while these may work for 64 bit (x64), I can't help with it.
    My phone would not be recognised at all by a Dell Latitude laptop running Windows XP, no idea why. It also kept shorting out it's USB ports.
    My sister's computer is running a dual boot of Windows XP and Linux (Lucid puppy), and it is recognised with debugging both checked and unchecked.
    My other laptop (Acer Aspire) is running a quadruple boot of Windows 7 Ultimate, and 3 Linux distros (Pardus 2011, OSX Like, and Pinguy OS). The latter two are both versions of Ubuntu. My phone is recognised immediately by Linux, and after driver installation in Windows 7.

1.Find out if it is absolutely necessary to access your SD card. If at all possible plug it into the computer instead. Also, try and get access to another computer. Sometimes it's just the computer itself.
    2.If your phone is not recognised, the first thing I would recommend doing is rebooting both your computer and your phone.
    3.If this does not work, try turning USB debugging on if it was off and vice versa. You may get lucky and it'll install the drivers.
    4.If it doesn't install the drivers, install them manually from: Samsung
    5.Once again, this may not work. It didn't for me on my Dell. The next thing to try is installing PDAnet. It worked for me for a little while. Download link: PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android
    6.The final thing to try, if you can't get access to another computer, is to try a new OS. Windows 7 works, but I prefer Linux (although I don't think SWUpdater works with Linux!!!!!) I will provide small instructions for Linux, and download links:

6.1 Download the Linux distro you think will be fitting for you (Ubuntu and the ones based off it are all user and newbie friendly, I suggest these for a new user). It will be an ISO file.
    6.2 Decide if you want to install the OS or just boot it from a live DVD or USB (won't change anything on your computer, but you can use the OS fully functional)

6.3A If you would like to Boot it as live/install it from a USB device, download the OS and use Universal USB installer to install the OS to the flash drive. I believe any one of them will fit on a 4GB flash drive (except Pardus 2011, which can't be booted from a flash drive) and Lucid puppy is less than 1 GB. Restart your computer, put the drive in, and press F2 (may be different) while the computer is booting to enter the Boot menu/Bios. Go to the boot order menu and select (Your flash drive name here) as the first thing to boot. Save and exit, and your computer will restart, loading the OS. It'll give you an option to use it as a Live USB or to install it. Do what you want.

6.3B If you would like to install the OS or boot from a live DVD, download the OS you want. The same disc can be used as a live DVD and installation, except for Pardus 2011. Put a blank DVD into your drive, and use an image writer program to burn the ISO to the DVD (simply copying it onto it won't work. Restart your computer and press F2 (may be different) while the computer is booting to enter the Boot menu/Bios. Go to the boot order menu and select your DVD drive as the first thing to boot. Save and exit, and your computer will restart, loading the OS. It'll give you an option to use it as a Live DVD or to install it. Do what you want.

Items needed/Download Links:
    Blank DVD's OR a flash drive
    Computer with a DVD writer supported drive if using DVDs
    Universal USB installer - Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
    ImgBurn (to burn to discs) - The Official ImgBurn Website
    Pardus 2011 - Pardus T

Advertisement