1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support My stock Thunderbolt battery: 60+ hrs?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jinkxed, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Jinkxed

Jinkxed Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Pardon the lengthy post. It turned out to be way longer than I expected...

The Thunderbolt is my first android phone, in fact my first smart phone. So by no means am I an experienced android user. While following the news on the release of this phone I was very excited about getting my hands on one. Knowing full well of the battery life issues the Thunderbolt is subject to, I still went out and purchased one. I figured I'd test my own unit's capabilities on battery life and share my results on here.

First off, the phone is basically running stock with the exception of the following:

- 3G area only ( 4G not available yet, but will be in my area some time during Q2 )
    - Using stock 1400mAh battery
    - No additional apps were installed, although I couldn't resist Angry Birds:p, but I manually closed it after 10-15 minutes of play
    - Phone has not been rooted
    - The only apps I force stopped from the "Manage apps" menu were Blockbuster, V Cast Apps, VZ Navigator and TuneWiki (mostly bloatware from what I've read)
    - GMail was set up with default settings and email alerts are being sent to the phone
    - GPS and Bluetooth was turned off
    - Display brightness was set to 25-30% (still quite bright)
    - HTC Weather widget animations were left active

Phone battery prep and first charge: ~24hrs

When I first purchased the phone, I read in the manual that it is "recommended to charge the battery before turning on the phone for the first time". Not willing to take any chances, I left the phone powered off and charged it to full with about 3 or 4 additional unplug/plug-in cycles (bump charging), waiting for the LED to turn green each time.

I had probably low-moderate usage: couple of phone calls, couple of text and MMS messages, couple app downloads from the marketplace, mostly tinkering with the phone to get used to the interface. With all of this the battery lasted roughly 24 hrs until it completely died and turned the phone off. I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo of the up time vs awake time, but I am still learning the ways of the android OS and was unaware of this feature at the time.

All said and done, 24hrs is by no means anything to complain about. Even with the little usage I had, I imagine a full day of using the phone it should last me most of the day with spending the night on the charger just like most other high end smartphones that are currently on the market.

A lot of people have had battery drain issues with the phone just sitting there, but I feel the few things that I disabled were enough to help the battery last as long as it did. For the most part, the things I disabled are features that I do not wish to take advantage of 100% of the time and nor do i need to. I mean, come on, Blockbuster? I thought they were bankrupt.

Second charge: 62+ hrs up time

This time I decided to see how long the standby time would last with very little use of the phone. Wow, was I surprised.

First some photos:
    [​IMG]

As you can see the phone was about to die. I was surprised at how little battery juice was used during the first 48 hours or so. One other thing that I thought was odd was when I went to bed last night at around midnight the meter still read 5 bars on the battery meter, or roughly 45-50% remaining. When I woke up the next morning, it was down to 2 bars (15-20% remaining). It's possible I left something running that drained the last half of the battery a lot faster. Either that or the battery meter isn't an exact representation of the juice remaining. I'll know for sure once I do some more testing of the battery.

Here is a breakdown of what used up the battery during this time:

[​IMG]

This photo was taken before the previous one, but I'm sure is close to the same percentages if I had taken it later. Again, remember that I am in a strictly 3G area only and wifi was hardly even used if at all. I'm sure after a few more charge cycles of my battery things will change. One other thing to note is that I still haven't performed a battery "calibration". So I am curious of how that will help as well.

I'm sure once I start adding other apps and get into using my phone more regularly as well has the 4G service becoming active, things will change drastically. But hopefully by then a less hideous looking extended battery will be out by then, one that will have a smaller "hump" on the back of the phone unlike the 2750mAh one currently available.

I will post other findings as I test the battery. :cool:

Advertisement

2. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    Lol...that's crazy!

3. robrecht

robrecht Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Senior Manager, Scientific Communications (pharmac
    What really matters is Awake Time, how much you were actually using it, which is not much, only 1 hour, 37 minutes.

Welcome to AndroidForums. Hope you enjoy your phone!

4. nkd

nkd Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2011
    the battery is more then enough for it being on 3g only. To be honest 4g is what really matters. Specially a consistent 4g signal which is what a lot of people have complained about.

5. Jinkxed

Jinkxed Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Yup, exactly. My first charge was with a lot more usage than the second, again why I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo of the usage time to compare.

This second charge, I mainly wanted to see how much standby time I could achieve with very little use. Mainly because I've heard a lot of people stating that their batteries drained a big chunk of their battery while just sitting on their desk or whatever while not being used. Still though, it is way off of what is supposedly the standby time stated by the manufacturer. What was it, 300+ hrs of standby? I guess i'll have to test my phone with absolutely no use to see how much standby time I can achieve, just for testing purposes of course. :)

6. Jinkxed

Jinkxed Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Yea, if I had 4G access where I'm living this thread woulda been based off of that. I guess I'm basically justifying the reason to hold off on getting any kind of extended battery until I absolutely have to. lol Plus being the first 4G LTE phone for Verizon, I'm sure there's some tweaking of the network to do. I'm usually not an early adopter of new technologies because things like this usually do happen until the technology has been around for a while. If anything, it's supporting the fact that everyone is aware of... 4G LTE kills batteries. Speed comes at a price.

7. bamaredwingsfan

bamaredwingsfan Android Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2009
    Mail Carrier
    Cullman, AL
    so far i have been very pleased with the battery life i have gotten. I came from droid1, and didnt change my habits any. But i dont live in a 4g area either.

8. Droopie28

Droopie28 Member
    None

Aug 4, 2010
    This is amazing!

9. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    My bet is that their quoted "standby" is with the handset in airplane mode and WIFI off. I've had my Eris in airplane mode last for nearly 2 weeks so I don't doubt their quote, but it's pretty much useless in that state.

10. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2011
    Want to trade batteries? Shipping is on me!

11. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Android Enthusiast
    None

May 3, 2010
    NoVA
    LOL.

Come on, you only had your phone active for less than 2 hours. You were on 3G the entire time, GPS and BT were turned off, and you didn't even have any 3rd party apps installed.

What's so unusual about getting 60 hours of standby with this set up?

12. Tempusfugit

Tempusfugit Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    So you've had you're phone for 5 days, and only used it lightly for one day??

Kinda like buying a porsche to see how good the gas mileage is parked in your garage.

EgoDogg likes this.
  13. slinky

slinky Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 13, 2010
    Honestly... I keep seeing the same threads over and over talking about amazing battery life. In all instances they have the same things in common.

- 4G not turned on or being used
    - Light usage that doesn't involve 4G

It's like buying a Porsche and telling us that you can really park as well or better than with other cars.

14. Jinkxed

Jinkxed Lurker
    None

Mar 25, 2011
    Lol, like I said, I was curious how much standby time i could get. I'm more surprised it wasn't longer than that with the setup I had. I should easily get more than 60 hrs of standby according to HTC's estimates lol, but then again their estimates are just that... "estimates"

15. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Android Expert
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Read my first post in this thread. It explains how HTC got their estimate.

16. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    I am getting about a day WITH 4g on but no 4g service.
    I turned it on just to see if it made am impact and it actually has not made an impact on my battery life.

But, my awake time is much more than 1 hour..... more like 5 per day.

17. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have OP'd a few superfluous threads myself (so no hypocrite) but consider this thread the most superfluous in regards to the subject of battery life- ever :)

Even my Incredible lasts standby that long. What does that tell anyone for anything? :)

We have all kinds of battery threads:

1. My battery lasts 10,12,20 hours with heavy use!!! (too subjective- one person's light use equals anther's heavy use).
    2. Bump charging makes my battery last HOURS more!!! (Average "best" case will actually be a 10% improvement) BTW, I have worked as a production manager for Enersys (battery company) so kind of understand the technology.
    3. My Battery life SUX
    4. My battery lasts days while in stand-by!!!

In defense of the OP, I see the point trying to be made, but most folks if not near a charge source and will not use their phone over a day would probably turn it off.

Nope, after thinking about it, the miracle bump charge posts are still the most "Ghost Hunters" worthy :) ;)

Just having fun Jinkxed, since the title and actual parameters to get the battery life are a tad misleading (though you did not mean it to be). To get your great battery life, you have to NOT use the phone :)

18. 2kchevy

2kchevy Newbie
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    Printer
    Mn
    How much do ya get out of your laptop 2 mor 3 hours with a big battery were talking about a phone with a small battery I love my TB and I get 15 to 20 hours on mine and use it all day on 3g and very pleased with it charge it at night and use it all day these people put all kinds of apps on it play with it and never put it down is not going to last long. its a pocket computer for cryin out load

19. djscoe

djscoe Member
    None

Dec 5, 2009
    Marshfield, MA
    I got 48 hours between charges using it exactly like I used my Incredible. I used to have to put my Inc on the charger around 3PM after turning it on around 7AM. I shut my phone off around 8PM at night. With the Incredible I would then put it on the charger overnight.

I didn't check the actual awake time but what's important to me is this battery blows my Incredible away. Oh, and from 7:30AM until around 6PM I'm in a 4G area. I haven't had any problems with intermittent 4g-3G switching. It locks into 4G and stays there until I leave the 4G area. I'm pretty happy with this so far.

20. Pretkomel

Pretkomel Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA.
    Display 28%?? Mine is always above 65%. Maybe I need to do something about that. :(

21. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Ohio
    looks like you need friends to talk too:rolleyes:

22. illskillz

illskillz Lurker
    None

May 11, 2011
    I used to have a droid1 and was very happy with the phone. The battery would last around 2 days initially and a year or so later was cut to one day which was still fine. Purchased the thunderbolt and am very pleased at how seamless and quick it is but the battery is terrible. With heavy use it is understandable but I will give an example. I unplugged my phone at 5 am this morning and went back to sleep, woke up at 9am to go to work and long behold . . . I have 40% of battery left. Yes I then killed 24 programs that were working in the background but that battery loss is extreme. I did not use the phone at all, not even use the screen for a second. I am now charging the phone again at 9am to get it back up to a decent charge before I can get to work and plug it in there at my desk. This concerns me because I only had this phone for a month. Any suggestions?

[ had 4g on the entire time, was at full charge when unplugged phone ]

23. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    It's the 4G radio. I usually toggle 4G off at home because I don't have a strong signal there so it constantly searches. I forgot to last night before bed and went to sleep at 1am with 70% remaining. Woke up at 6am and I was down to 15%. The 4G radio is a battery hog, so I recommend if you don't need to to shut it off. Normally with 4G off I lose maybe 2% overnight

24. rabernet

rabernet Android Enthusiast
    None

Hmmmm, I'm in a 4G area (Atlanta) and I never turn off my 4G. Well, I've only had the phone for a week, but in that week I've not turned it off - as I wanted to see how the battery performed.

I also charged mine right out of the box before ever powering it up and activating it. I've also followed steps that I found here to calibrate the battery.

I can unplug the phone at 9 p.m. and use it moderately for texting, Tapatalk, Facebook and a little Kindle reading for about a cummulative useage of about an hour. I also use it as an alarm clock.

This morning at 5 a.m. I had 70% on my battery after being unplugged and used as described above for about an hour.

I have auto sync turned off on weather, mail and other things that I really don't care if it updates until I need to use it.

25. djb28

djb28 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    My day starts at 7 am. I get home at 330 Use it lightly in that time. I get home and use it heavily. By 8 pm i am at 13 percent. I am happy with that! I put in the second battery and charge the drained one. I need to use my phone and not worry about what needs to be on or off to save juice. While I understand what you were trying to accomplish with the test, That really is inaccurate on how almost any user would use their phone.