• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MY thoughts after purchase

lennydude

Android Expert
May 19, 2010
Maine USA
These are my thoughts after the purchase of the Acer A200. Any questions just ask away.

I purchased this tablet 3 days ago and have been using it literally none stop.....lol. The first impression when you do the un boxing is very positive. The screen is beatiful and the back of the tablet is perfect. It has a textured back and is not slippery at all. The weight and thickness of it is perfect. Feels great in my hands and is not heavy at all.
There have been complaints about the sound. The sound is indeed a problem. I use Volume+ and it is much better however i have no intention on using the tablet for playing music. Volume is more than enough for all other activities.
The screen is very nice. The resolution is great and things pop out on the screen. I have posted some screen captures below. It is very nice to surf the web. The extra space on the tablet makes for great surfing. I prefer to use Dolphin HD as a browser and it really work fine.
I did a quick Quadrant score and got 1920. Not too shabby but as we all know, these type of scores are not the end all of performance...lol.
As far as lag goes, it is not noticeable unless your using the keyboard. Come on ANDROID................is there anything Android that does NOT lag with the stock keyboard?
All in all, this tablet is an awesome piece. I have no issue at all for the missing rear camera, do not miss it, and as i have said, the sound issue is under control. I paid $349 at Best Buy.
The tablet market is crazy now so everyone will have a different opinion about what to buy. The A500 can be bought for about the same price as a refurb but it is not an up to date item, same as the transformer, out of date. I decided to go new and get something fairly cost effective and would meets all MY needs. This tablet does just that.
I would give it a score of 9 out of 10. The 1 being the sound.

Lenny

IMG_20120124_081443.jpg

IMG_20120124_081452.jpg

IMG_20120124_081502.jpg

IMG_20120124_081514.jpg

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and screenshots - the option to take screenshots in the A200 is pretty cool. I don't know why Acer didn't implement that sooner, everyone's waiting for ICS to get that in stock.
I think I'll give volume boost a shot, but the description says "when using a headset" so I'm not too hopeful. Strangely the volume is fine with a headset, but just too quiet through the speakers playing video.

Upvote 0
Hi Lenny, thanks for the report I have had my A200 a week now very happy also, like you first thing I added was dolphin hd then SlideIT demo keyboard! Its great to be just able to pick something up and start using it (I was a bit surprised by how long it takes to boot) but I don't shut it down now use it too often, battery time seems OK not sure how long it lasts quit a few hours although I don't believe it's the eight that Acer quote! I only got the 8Gb model for $299 aus after cash back! I have a 16 Gb micro SD card anyway!

Upvote 0
One question I have. How can I get my temperature on the clock widget to read correctly? I am in Houston and trust me it is not 18 degrees lolany help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I couldn't get the original clock/temp to work either so i did away with it and am running Beautiful Widgets that i run on my cell phone. Works 100% as you can see.

Reactions: vicshalls
Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and screenshots - the option to take screenshots in the A200 is pretty cool. I don't know why Acer didn't implement that sooner, everyone's waiting for ICS to get that in stock.
I think I'll give volume boost a shot, but the description says "when using a headset" so I'm not too hopeful. Strangely the volume is fine with a headset, but just too quiet through the speakers playing video.

It defaults to metric temperature units.. only way I could find to change it was delete the widget and re-load it, it will then let you specify farenheit

Reactions: vicshalls
Upvote 0
These are my thoughts after the purchase of the Acer A200. Any questions just ask away.
There have been complaints about the sound. The sound is indeed a problem. I use Volume+ and it is much better however i have no intention on using the tablet for playing music.

I tried Volume+ but didn't notice any improvement

I think I'll give volume boost a shot, but the description says "when using a headset" so I'm not too hopeful.
My earlier comment was about a different app (volume boost) which didn't work at all. Then I noticed the icon in your first screenshot and checked your post again and tried Volume+

BTW I also noticed you're running File Manager. Did you know Rhythm Software also have a HD version for Honeycomb
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm.hd

Upvote 0
Wow I am impressed finally a device that has the correct setting for the rest of the world ie metric when are you guys (Americans) going to join us we got rid of imperial over 40 years ago! Joke fellas!

Trust me, I would love to convert to metric here in the states... I work in metric (civil engineering) but of course the rest of my life is imperial... so I am pretty good at being ''bi-lingual'' for units :)

Upvote 0
Hi Aurjohn yes it must be a pain I am old enough to know both at least you never had to worry about having pounds shillings and pennies have you an A200? If so what are your thoughts?

I love it so far, had it less than a week. I got it because it was a "cheap" (US 350) 10.1" (25cm ;)) tablet that should have Ice Cream Sandwich pretty soon, and I liked the look and feel of it. So far it has met my expectations performance wise, as far as the games and apps I use. I had a tough time finding an app / codec that will play 720p mkv files but that's not really a fair test IMO... (Vplayer worked for playing the mkv files)... So yeah, I am happy with my purchase :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones