• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My thoughts on the thing...

ajdroidx

Android Expert
Oct 8, 2011
Colorado
So, now that I have been using the Note III (white) for a bit, a little under a week, I think I can post some of my thoughts. Some thoughts may be toward android in general, just to give you a heads up. :)

So, another year, another updated android device. Should this thing be called the note IIs? Or keep the note III moniker? I am not in charge of naming over at samsung, so I can't answer that, and calling the thing an S would result in another lawsuit I suppose. Anyway, onto my thoughts :)

Design.
The device is beautiful. I keep my brightness on about 50%, auto is off. The huge screen is really nice, bright, easy to look at. In hand, it seems to fit better of the note 2 which was prone to slippage from the more rounded corners. I do like the textured back, though it still has a bit of slip factor with it, not the glossiness of the note 2, however.

Battery.
Seems to be a lot better then my note 2, but this could be because I did not set the 3 up like the 2. So, there are a few things I left off the three, notably my sunrise and sunset app. Not saying that app is causing a huge battery drain, but it does change daily because of its nature.

Use.
I am running stock unrooted 4.3 software complete with AT&T and samsung bloat (why can't I remove these if I need to agree to update them because features may "cost me money and use data?" I must agree to update these but I am being forced to, is this NOT a violation in itself?) Anyway, for the most part, I just ignore the bloat. I may opt to root at a later time. I am also using the stock launcher and keyboard which seems like an upgrade from the note 2 offerings. I can actually stand the keyboard on the note III.

Software that I use the most:
Falcon pro (seriously, what happened to this program, its become very crashy after the last couple updates)
RadarScope.
WeatherBug elite.
Chrome.
Currents.
Play music.

Sadly, I have had issues with most of these programs :( I mean, the programs are still useful, its just to see currents jerk and lag while scrolling to the next feed is a buzzkill. On my iPad mini, the scrolling is very smooth.

Chrome is a bit jerky too, not nearly as bad.

RadarScope is untested right now

Weatherbug seems okay

Falcon pro. I really don't know what happened with this program. Its jerky (on nearly all my devices and it often force closes, freezing and just crashing) I am seriously thinking about just using the official twitter client. And deal with even more ads :rolleyes:

I have not used the camera much yet, so cannot fully comment on it yet.

Now, I am not sure if its the devices that are at fault, android itself, the skin on the devices are just poor programming. I just find it odd that my note III shows jerky movement with currents and my outdated (when it was released) iPad mini shows smooth scrolling. Kind of makes me think its the actual program coding, but thats for another thread and more testing. (one test would be a custom rom, but I don't really plan this route with the note III, at least right now)

All said, so far I do like the device. I have had a few quirks with it. Call quality seems decent, in fact the person on the other line said the call sounded better then with my note II, so that is good. Reception seems to be a tad bit better, my signal seems a wee better too, able to do things in some areas some times where I was unable to before. I had not made much use of the note features. I wish the pen was a little thicker. Nor have I activated the multi window. Charging seems way faster then with the 2. I have been unable to completely deplete the battery yet.

Make no mistake, this is a large phone, in most cases, you will need 2 hands. But it feels easier to handle then the note 2. There are loads more things to explore with the device and my thoughts may change on those. It does make my note 2 feel slow...

Right now the biggest irk for me is some of the lag and jerkiness (*waits for someone to tell me to do a factory reset* :rolleyes:)

Falcon pro. I really don't know what happened with this program. Its jerky (on nearly all my devices and it often force closes, freezing and just crashing) I am seriously thinking about just using the official twitter client. And deal with even more ads :rolleyes:

If I understand above correctly, Falcon pro is your twitter client? I despise the "official" one, and I use Plume - paid up for Pro version which is ad-free. I really like it. Clean interface, intuitive, and shows pictures right on the stream rather than an incomprehensible link.

Try it out - might work better than your current - and keeps you from having to use that awful awful official one. Never could stand that one, not even on the iPhone.

Upvote 0
Use.
I am running stock unrooted 4.3 software complete with AT&T and samsung bloat (why can't I remove these if I need to agree to update them because features may "cost me money and use data?" I must agree to update these but I am being forced to, is this NOT a violation in itself?) Anyway, for the most part, I just ignore the bloat. I may opt to root at a later time. I am also using the stock launcher and keyboard which seems like an upgrade from the note 2 offerings. I can actually stand the keyboard on the note III.
)

Can you disable the bloat ware on the N3 - as one could on the N2?

Upvote 0
..Snip...

Sadly, I have had issues with most of these programs :( I mean, the programs are still useful, its just to see currents jerk and lag while scrolling to the next feed is a buzzkill. On my iPad mini, the scrolling is very smooth.

Chrome is a bit jerky too, not nearly as bad.

It may be something else that's an issue. I use both Currents and Chrome, and I have experienced no lag at all. Quite the opposite, actually: they are both really smooth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones