1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General My Thunderbolt Journey Thus Far - Sound Familiar?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by paduncan, Jun 4, 2011.

1. paduncan

paduncan Newbie
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    I thought I would take a moment to chonicle my journey with the TBolt thus far - I am sure a lot of this will sound familiar to many of you.

I was originally interested in the Motorola Droid Bionic, but it wasn't out yet and I happened to go to the Verizon Wireless store on the launch day of the TBolt. I asked the sales person if they thought there was anything to the dual core processor that was supplied with the impending Bionic, and we both came to the conclusion that dual core processor phones just aren't really necessary now. We also both agreed that HTC Sense was better than Motorola Blur, especially with respect to the phone dialer.

So off I went with the TBolt (after purchasing their last extended battery in the store), and I was immediately smitten with the fast 4G speeds (but not the battery life); and that I now posessed what was truly an iPhone killer (and told several of my iPhone using friends this to their annoyance!). This being my first Android phone, I immediately delved into how to customize it, especially with regards to saving battery life (disabling push email, etc.).

In the beginning, everything seemed pretty smooth. This was until I was traveling across the country on the very day that the 4G network went out. I then learned about the Network app to toggle 3G/4G and even how to get into the programming menus to change the Modem Rev A settings, etc. during this time. So I was at least able to get back onto 3G and use the phone.

On my next trip a few weeks later, I noticed that the GPS would not lock on. This really pissed me off. I did a factory reset, (and was impressed that at least the PAID apps re-downloaded and installed themselves) and still didn't get the GPS reception I was looking for.

After the 4G network came back online, for some reason, even after the firmware update, I could not lock onto a 4G connection in my 4G coverage area for any longer than 2-3 minutes, and then the phone would drop to 1X. I called Verizon tech support and they said they hadn't heard of this issue, but then checked my location and found another complaint, but the Verizon technicians said that it was a geography issue, and not related to my phone or the network. Ok. (I was not convinced). However, the OTA update did fix the GPS issue for me, as well as the video recording audio.

So I went back into the Verizon store and asked the technical people about it the 4G data connectivity issue. They saw the issue, and replaced the SIM card. Still the same issue with no 4G lock. They offered to replace the phone, but I wanted to check the display model to see if it too was not locking onto the 4G. The store model did in continuously display 4G, so that made the decision for me. They issued a replacement, and the next day I got a refurbished phone. The phone is perfect (no scratches, etc.) except for the fact that the power button is more flush with the edge of the top of the phone. No huge big deal hear, as I can easily turn the phone off and on, but I have another solution to this issue (below).

The 4G connection is rock steady now, and I am back in business. I am not experiencing any random reboots at all with the refurbed device.

Overall, great phone, but 4G does really come at a cost of battery life; so I still run in 3G with wi-fi when at home, and it is nice to know I have 4G if I need it, like if I am at an airport and need the hotspot feature.

Anyhoo, I wanted my post to serve the following purpose:

-My data connectivity became wonky after the 4G outage
    -If your data connectivity is going from 4G to 1X (and you are in a 3G coverage area), you have a faulty radio. If it is working proplerly, when you lose 4G connectivity, the phone will go to 3G. I think this is probably the issue that is both causing really bad battery life, as well as reboots (i.e., radio malfunction).
    -My refurbished phone came with the latest firmware, and works flawlessly. I am very picky with scratches, etc. and the refurbed phone was in new condition.
    -It seems that the "flush power button" is just part of the design with the TBolt. Many have reported on this, but as long as the button has a springy response I am not too concerned. I would encourage people to NOT return their phones for this issue, at the risk of losing other functionality.

Three utility apps that I find really make the TBolt a much better device:

1. Better sleep - senses movement and keeps the display on so you don't have to keep hitting the power button after the screen times out

2. No-lock - makes it so you don't have to keep swiping the phone to unlock the phone. Also allows you to use the volume buttons to turn the display back on (easier for my hands rather than the location of the power button on top of the phone).

3. Screen-off and Lock (Katecca)- an nice app that you can put on your home screen so that you can turn the phone off without using the power button. Again, you can position it right where your thumb lands so you can simply press the screen rather than reach up to the power button.

I hope this information can be of use!

Advertisement

CharlzO, jvbaseball and GrandMasterB like this.
  2. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow!
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Male
    Yewwtah!
    I appreciate your pointers and am happy to hear that you got back on track. I have not tried better sleep but I have used Screebl (screen blank) for a few years now and its very handy.

GMB