• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My unimpressed days with the Incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! I love my Incredible as much as many of the others here do, but I'm quite taken aback by how "incredibly" defensive some of the posters here are when someone voices very real concerns about their own experiences with the phone. To the point of being just down right rude to someone who does not appear to me to be a troll, and honestly wants some honest feedback.

How much clearer does he have to be? He WANTS to love this phone, he's not "hating" on it.

OP - I'm also new to android, in fact, this is my first Smartphone. There are some things that I do find frustrating to work around, but I have to say that my overall experience is that this is the best phone I've ever had. I'm NOT a techno geek, so I probably won't ever realize the full potential that many of the users here will, but I am enjoying learning my way around this phone, and I hope that your experience will start to change.

I've not experienced the FC's that you have, so I can't really offer any opinion or comments on that.

Hope that you won't let this thread and some of the responses keep you from participating here.

Edit - I was pleased yesterday to read this sticky (yeah, I know it's been up awhile, but it was the first I'd seen it), but disheartened this morning to see continuing snarkiness. You know....no one needs to defend the honor of the Incredible - it really doesn't care if you do or not.

Instead of being rude to other members, go play with your Incredible instead. Or actually try to help members out who have genuine concerns.

http://androidforums.com/site-updat...4-zero-tolerance-policy-all-members-read.html

Reactions: Trident
Upvote 0
Yeah it's in exact same lighting conditions (like I go outside! pssh! haha).
Just another possible clue toward a glitched phone for me. Thanks for cluing me in since I wasn't sure what dictated those lights activity.

Honestly, I'm with a lot of other people in here saying you need to take it back to Verizon and make them replace it. In my opinion a phone is an investment (it costs us all enough) that if you're having so many issues you should exchange it. I have had my Inc since 4/28 and aside from a few force closes it has been phenomenal. If you don't have time, or don't feel like going to a store you should be able to call Verizon support (they may have you do this from a landline so you can do things with the handset) but all in all don't settle for a faulty device. I would hate to see you pick that iPhone back up ;)

On a side note, I apologize for the rest of the members of this community that are giving you a hard time. It's occurring all too often anymore...

Reactions: Trident
Upvote 0
F--- OH! And the 4 function button lights are often glitchy in that they will shut off for extended periods and finally come back on at completely random times. Yet another oddity.

Of note, the four buttons are controlled by a sensor to the left of the "Verizon" logo. I thought mine had problems until I read another post that said it was this sensor. I got out of my lighting situation and they turned back on. Then i went back to my lighting situation and they turned off. Then I covered the sensor and after 15 seconds or so they turned back on. They turn off at a certain light level to save battery. They assume you can see them at this light level. I have noticed they will turn on and off depending on shadows hitting the sensor too.

EDIT: Sorry I see now this was already posted by brandonhutch

Upvote 0
Personal question on mine about reboots. Mine has rebooted 3-4 times twice from messaging app and once from internet app. Also I think possibly once overnight because I had killed a bunch of apps and had nothing running when I went to bed but everything was running the next morning.

I've had the phone since 4/28 and it didn't have the first reboot until 4/30 or 5/1 then night of 5/1 then rebooted twice on 5/3. Hasn't rebooted since 5/3. (Of note I have several hundred text messages in the messaging app)

Also had a 2 times the internet crashed due to flash issue.

Think this is just freak occurances or I have an issue with the phone?

Upvote 0
I read all the above. My gut feel is that the OP's issues are not hardware and I doubt a new phone will be any different. I suspect it worked fine out of the box, then was mega-app'ed and/or mega-data'ed with a combination that others of us do not have. Rather than swap hardware, I would clean up the mess and re-app re-data cautiously and methodically, and pay attention to changes along the way. Don't add all the apps on one day, there is no hurry other than 'kid with new toy' hormones (which we all have to suppress :D). Dumping a ton of things at the OS then having many issues at once is a debugging nightmare.

As others above have said too, many of your comments are just the way the OS works, not necessarily bugs, just designed different that you/I would (for one, I dislike the default initial SMS cursor position too).

Upvote 0
I have had a G1, Droid and the Inc and not has any of the noted issue by the OP. Android is BY FAR the most stable OS and Inc has been very good, so far.

I also have a Dash (WM6), Ngage (Symbian) and an N900 (Maemo).

The OP needs to get an N900 and experience Maemo for a few days. The OP will beg Android to be forgiven ;)

Maemo is an unfinished, picky, poor user friendly OS. Super code geeks need only apply. N900 has great hardware, but Maemo SUCKS as a smartphone OS.

Sounds like a defective device or social apps running crazy, perhaps.

Upvote 0
I read all the above. My gut feel is that the OP's issues are not hardware and I doubt a new phone will be any different. I suspect it worked fine out of the box, then was mega-app'ed and/or mega-data'ed with a combination that others of us do not have. Rather than swap hardware, I would clean up the mess and re-app re-data cautiously and methodically, and pay attention to changes along the way. Don't add all the apps on one day, there is no hurry other than 'kid with new toy' hormones (which we all have to suppress :D). Dumping a ton of things at the OS then having many issues at once is a debugging nightmare.

As others above have said too, many of your comments are just the way the OS works, not necessarily bugs, just designed different that you/I would (for one, I dislike the default initial SMS cursor position too).

+1 on software, not hardware. OP, best of luck setting things straight or moving to a phone that more aptly fits your needs.

Upvote 0
I've never used an iphone or Android before except in a store. But from using them for an hour, I did notice that the iphone seems to be more intuitive and mature than android. Meaning that they've probably worked out the bugs and rearranged things in the interface to work better for most people. The thing I didnt like about the iphone was that I didn't see many options for customization and that having all those nice features are kinda useless if you can't get a signal on AT&T.

So I think you may just have to choose. I don't think you can get the best of both worlds unless the iphone comes to verizon. So you'll have to see if you are willing to give up some of the things you like about the iphone to come to verizon. I think you will eventually get use to some of the annoyances. As for stuff crashing, I suppose you could try other apps in the market but there may not be much available. Its nice to have an open market where you can write an app to do anything, BUT unless you do it yourself or someone else happens to create exactly what you're looking for, you're SOL. So as someone who hasnt used either, I'd just say, ignore the things you think you'll get use to, and see if the real problems are things that you can eventually fix. Then decide if its worth it.

Upvote 0
** My phone app has zillions of Facebook contacts listed if I don't take an extra step to filter them out. Yes I could disable facebook syncing, but I love it's integration with my actual contacts. Annoying. (yeah I know everyone is whining about it too).
Cant you just make it so your not viewing the facebook contants and link your actual contacts to their facebook profiles?
People -> Menu -> View
** Have had 1 random reboot for no reason at all.
If it was only 1 reboot there was probably a reason for it so i would disregard this unless it does it multiple times... then its probally a hardware issue
** I probably see at least 5+ program terminations a day. And I'm not talking third party. I mean MMS/SMS messenger and their ilk. Stock phone built-in programs. The actual important ones. Yeah, they load right back up, but WTF man?
Yah i had this sometimes too but it appears to have stopped as i dont recall it happening in the last 2-3 days
** A Google based OS that has the crappiest Gmail app ever.Well not 'ever' but it's lame still. The stock gmail app had outbound messages 'sending' for over a day. It was only once I deleted a third party mail app that they finally sent. I'll blame the 3rd party app for that. But still the stock one has severe issues, if not total issues, with showing inline attachments (pictures). Very weak. Also can't seem to copy text from inbox messages. Lame. Very limited in general.
Are you using the app called "Gmail" or "Mail"? The "gmail" apps works perfectly fine for me, emails are received via push and sent very snappy. If you dont like the "gmail app" someone said you can set "mail" to use @gmail.com as a exchange server and get your emails pushed to the "Mail" app which is the HTC sense one. How you do this/info idk
** Constantly have the Messages icon showing text messages awaiting even if I've read them and even replied to them. Screws up often. All stock, not third party.
Happens for me too, i just open it up and go back to the list of all txts and close, and its working fine again
** Stock internet browser has hard locked about 4 times viewing sites using flash. 2 times required a power cycle. 2 I was eventually able to exit the browser. I'll chalk it up to too intensive of a site perhaps sucking the life out of the memory. Should be able to cope with this better, IMO. I don't expect full Flash compatibility (I know it's LITE), but give me a way to avoid rebooting my damn phone please.
Yah flash is a bit buggy/choppy. It will be fully integrated into android 2.2 which should fix this
** Why on Earth when I select 'send message' within a person's contact info, does it launch the messaging app, adding that person properly, but not putting the cursor in the message box? I have to tap out of the 'to' box. Yeah, it's nitpicking but I'm a very time and flow oriented person. I just told you I want to message this person. Let's get on with the message, not adding another recipient. There are other means to do that.
Yes this annoys me too, and hopefully be tweeked when root + custom rooms becomes available. If this is really an issue use handcent as your default sms app and disable the messages app by going into its settings.

Upvote 0
I have gone through and delete a good amount of posts. Please be respectful to your fellow members. I should issue everyone that posted a rude/inflammatory comment an infraction, but I'm in a good mood this morning.

The next person that does post a rude/inflammatory comment will receive an infraction, though. Please review the Rules/Guidelines as well as the Zero Tolerance Policy before posting again. You can find the links to both of those in my signature.

Upvote 0
As a fellow geeky, gadget loving software developer, I am going to have to echo what others have said in that you probably received a unit with some issues.

However:

1. I don't use the stock gmail app, I use the HTC one for both gmail and exchange.
2. The Facebook contact thing is kind of annoying but installing gesture search just about totally removes the need to have a smaller contact list.
3. What sites were you browsing that caused browser locks?

Upvote 0
I'd say get a replacement, give it a week or two. If it's not having any bugs but you just don't like the experience, take a little time to customize it. Then, if you still aren't big on it, get a new phone. It's a handset, not a religion. I don't think anyone's feelings will be hurt if it's not for you. :)

One reason I like the thing is that, as a Linux-based phone, it holds some of the ethos of the OS in that it gives you a great base to start with and then says "okay, have at it, make it yours now."

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
You may want to consider exchanging, but I doubt there is anything wrong with your particular handset. One thing you should keep in mind even though im sure your fully aware of is that android is completely open source unlike apple and Android apps are not screened like Apples are. When you start installing apps I suggest you install 1 at a time since your new to android you need to know how to decipher which ones are causing force closes.

Try not to always compare to your Iphone (even though its hard not to) The Incredible has a lot of strengths that the iphone doesn't and vice versa. Obviously you really love the iphone as do I, otherwise you would have abandoned ship some time ago. Apple has had ample time to polish its system. Once the bugs get worked out of the incredible and Android in general, the current iPhone will be no comparison...the 4G iPhone is a different story all together.

If you truly have not touched the iPhone since acquiring the Incredible when or if you switch back to the iPhone its then you will miss the Amoled screen,the 800x480 res,the 8 MP cam, louder speaker,live wallpapers (even if you don't use them admit they are cool) better network, most importantly open source.

Upvote 0
** I probably see at least 5+ program terminations a day. And I'm not talking third party. I mean MMS/SMS messenger and their ilk. Stock phone built-in programs. The actual important ones. Yeah, they load right back up, but WTF man?

Sorry for being lengthy to anyone enduring this read. I'm a few Guinness into the evening :)

You see 5+ program terminations a day? What does that mean? If you are using advanced task killer, that is why you are freezing up.

What programs are being terminated?

Gtalk?
MMS?
..?

Some apps are weird - I downloaded Astrid and that keeps popping up in running services even if I don't open it or have anything scheduled.

Gtalk pops up every time I restart.

Other than that it's fine. But the Incredible has a ton of power and you should not use ATK to blast a couple programs that aren't doing anything to your battery.

Upvote 0
I consider multiple stock, primary app shutdowns per day to be beyond unacceptable.

I do expect, or hope, for an update fixing some of the crash issues

I doubt there is going to be anything submitted for this. It is most likely ATK or you have a faulty phone.

Most consumers including myself don't have crash issues so it's likely you got a lemon.

My suggestion would be to go exchange it so you know for sure.

The amount of crashes you get is extremely abnormal for this phone based on other reviews.

This way you don't have to search forums all day for fixes that aren't coming - you have to be savvy enough to convince who you bought it from that you want an exchange on the spot which can be difficult. It depends if you got it online or at a store.

Don't put it through insurance.

Upvote 0
** A Google based OS that has the crappiest Gmail app ever.Well not 'ever' but it's lame still. The stock gmail app had outbound messages 'sending' for over a day. It was only once I deleted a third party mail app that they finally sent. I'll blame the 3rd party app for that. But still the stock one has severe issues, if not total issues, with showing inline attachments (pictures). Very weak. Also can't seem to copy text from inbox messages. Lame. Very limited in general.

You can use HTC mail for gmail which many others have done since gmail app doesn't have many cool options..

Upvote 0

Thanks to all who could clearly see I was reaching out in an effort to love this phone the way I knew I would when I went to buy it. I drooled over previews and early reviews prior to my purchase and fell in love right away. Thanks again.
Now, without Guinness clouding my brain, I'll address some of the finer points.
JeeperDon, the first, and only, reboot was with an out of the box, stock phone. I'm not an 'app whore' and still have added only about 10-15 apps to play with by my guess. But the reboot actually happened with a new, clean, app-less phone when I was merely changing the background using the phone's personalize feature. That was it. I selected a new background and BAM! reboot.
Furthermore, Before I so much as added a single app I played with the stock features. I spent over 7 hours (I have no life and am quite OCD) just googling and trying to rid the dialer of showing Facebook contacts. I'm not complaining about that feature anymore I'm merely showing my obsession with stock features and usage.
For those asking about which apps are shutting down, I will gladly take note of the specific file names on the next ones.
A previous responder replied that using 'advanced task killer' or similar was probably having an effect on the phone. I haven't installed any app killers since I've heard split opinions of their functionality and am perfectly happy using the phone's built in app termination methods.
At this point, I hope no one responds until I post specifics on the app shutdowns. Again, these aren't third party apps I'm referring to as those are of no concern since they can be chalked up to 'well it's the app'. I'm talking about core MMS, SMS, Mail and another I can't recall apps that are built into the OS itself.
Again, thanks for the support and feedback. I'll still be nerding out with it for days to come and will also gladly post if I resolve my own issues. I'm not above saying "hey, I'm ******ed" if that should end up being the case :)

Upvote 0
What baffles me is the number of people who can't believe that the issues they're experiencing aren't universal. This goes for pretty much any electronic product.

People bring home phones, cameras, televisions, mp3 players, vacuums, and when it goes on the fritz they fly online and start talking about what a horrible product the thing is and flood websites with bad reviews.

Guys, believe it or not, HTC does test stuff. They aren't going to release a phone that by its very design flaws can't operate for a half hour without breaking. Like anything else from Timex watches to babies, sometimes one just doesn't quite work right. If one's beef with the device is in its DESIGN (don't like the interface, not enough apps, slow, poor display) then that's one thing. But if stuff crashes on you, assume you got a bad one before passing judgement.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones